Lifting an ACE equipped Disco - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifting an ACE equipped Disco

I'm familiar with what ACE does, but not positive how it works. From what I've read it's an electronically and hydraulically control system that exerts onto the torsion bars to keep things stable. My question, does going to a coilover system (OME lift for example) require you to get rid of the ACE system? Or is it completely independent of the coil and shock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:15 PM
laments the death of industrial strength soup sporks \;/

its a hydrolic piston on oppisite corners, passenger front, driver rear. one side of the swaybar. you can lift it 3 inches max for it to stay happy. it's what i've done as well as disco mike. i'm sure some others too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I am the White Rabbit
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
its a hydrolic piston on oppisite corners, passenger front, driver rear. one side of the swaybar. you can lift it 3 inches max for it to stay happy. it's what i've done as well as disco mike. i'm sure some others too.
Ok, great. So no technical challenges in installing a list, or any type of new suspension on an ACE equipped vehicle? I guess in my head I figured it had to tie into the shocks or air somehow. Not the case apparently?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:33 PM

nope, not the case. no worries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I am the White Rabbit
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
nope, not the case. no worries.
Such is not the case with an SLS equipped vehicle since the rear uses airbags, correct? Does removing that equipment pose any challenges? I read about a lot of the headaches with the OEM bags.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 PM

It isn't hard to remove them you just have to disable the suspension with testbook to T4

This site sucks balls.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSean View Post
Such is not the case with an SLS equipped vehicle since the rear uses airbags, correct? Does removing that equipment pose any challenges? I read about a lot of the headaches with the OEM bags.
Why would you want to remove it? You can still do a lift with SLS.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 PM

yea, i've kept mine. only one leaky bag in almost four years. bought a couple of spares to keep on hand. i wouldn't want to be without the air, comfy ride and always level no matter the load.

I am the White Rabbit
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p76rangie View Post
Why would you want to remove it? You can still do a lift with SLS.
Can you do all the standard lifts and maintain the rear air? I'm not familiar with the rear suspension setup on the disco. But my understanding of the lift kits like OME, is that they area coilover lift. Wouldn't this replace any current airbags?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 PM

You can get SLS spacers from Rovertym and use OME coils in the front and their shocks all around.

This site sucks balls.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 04:48 AM

I wouldn't swap the SLS until you have a problem with it. But at the very first sign of a problem though, I wouldn't hesitate 1 second to swap it to coils.

That's what I did and the peace of mind is priceless. Maybe it can fail once every 4 years, but it can be in the very worst of places, like in a ski lodge, hours away from home or the likes. This being a Land Rover, it is also one less thing to go wrong. Why not eliminate the known weeknesses when you can. I'd order a full 4 coils kit. That way when you do have a problem with SLS, and you will....You'll have the parts to do the swap. All you'll need is the spring bottom plates with bolts that the dealer keeps in stock (tells a lot right there doesn't it ?!?...) and coil isolators. But you will have saved by buying the kit instead of separate parts.

Ditto for no problem with ACE and an Old Man Emu 2 inch lift.

Knowledge is only really worth anything when its been experienced first hand. If you heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy.....nevermind and keep it to yourself.
[SIGPIC]
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:18 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Why not install a RTE 2" lift for the SLS and then it can be adjusted up to nearly 4"s if wanted.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
I wouldn't swap the SLS until you have a problem with it. But at the very first sign of a problem though, I wouldn't hesitate 1 second to swap it to coils.

That's what I did and the peace of mind is priceless. Maybe it can fail once every 4 years, but it can be in the very worst of places, like in a ski lodge, hours away from home or the likes. This being a Land Rover, it is also one less thing to go wrong. Why not eliminate the known weeknesses when you can. I'd order a full 4 coils kit. That way when you do have a problem with SLS, and you will....You'll have the parts to do the swap. All you'll need is the spring bottom plates with bolts that the dealer keeps in stock (tells a lot right there doesn't it ?!?...) and coil isolators. But you will have saved by buying the kit instead of separate parts.

Ditto for no problem with ACE and an Old Man Emu 2 inch lift.
That's great advice, and probably exactly what I'll look into doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
Why not install a RTE 2" lift for the SLS and then it can be adjusted up to nearly 4"s if wanted.
I'm not familiar with RTE, I just know OME makes quality parts from a previous FJ install. In your opinion, RTE would be the route to go?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:03 PM

RTE make SLS spacers along with full suspension. OME make the most comfortable riding suspension. I never compared, but that's their reputation.

Knowledge is only really worth anything when its been experienced first hand. If you heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy.....nevermind and keep it to yourself.
[SIGPIC]
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
That's great advice, and probably exactly what I'll look into doing!

I'm not familiar with RTE, I just know OME makes quality parts from a previous FJ install. In your opinion, RTE would be the route to go?
Rovertym Engineering

I am the White Rabbit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in