major electrical issues: door locks, rear windows, turning signals wont work - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
major electrical issues: door locks, rear windows, turning signals wont work

Hi All,

First time posting but have been coming here for some time. I have a 2000 Discovery ll with a roof leak (somewhere) either windshield or sunroof (clogged plugs maybe? unsure

Anyhow, after a recent rain, I have been left with some serious electrical issues: my doors wont lock, turning signals wont work (they flash on the dash but not on the front and rear of the truck), hazards don't work, rear windows stuck? I checked the fuses and they look to be fine. I think I may have received some water behind the dash. Given these seem to be the only electric issues, does anyone have an idea what it might be?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 04:31 AM
Proud owner

From the workshop manual:

Description
General
The Body Control Unit (BCU) is located behind the passenger glovebox and is connected to the main harness by four
connectors on its bottom edge and an additional connector located on the side of the BCU casing. Mounting the BCU
behind the fascia makes it reasonably inaccessible for intruders to disable the anti-theft system.
The BCU uses solid-state microprocessor control to perform logical operations and timing functions for a variety of
the vehicle's electrically operated systems, these include:
l Door locking.
l Anti-theft alarm and immobilisation system.
l Exterior lighting including direction indicators and hazard warning lamps.
l Courtesy lighting.
l Wipers and washers.
l Electric windows and sunroof.
l Heated windows.
The BCU also communicates with several other electronically controlled systems such as the EAT ECU and SLABS
ECU and also has a datalink between the Intelligent Driver Module (IDM) and the instrument pack. The datalink is a
low speed bus capable of transmitting and receiving messages at a data rate of 10,400 bits per second. Additional
inputs and outputs to peripheral devices are included which are necessary for determining vehicle status for particular
logical operations e.g. crank, ignition key inserted, fuel flap enable etc.
The BCU receives its power supply from the engine compartment fuse box, and is protected by a 10 A fuse.
The BCU communicates with the IDM to provide the control signals to perform power switching operations in
conjunction with dedicated relays.

Try to get to the BCU, disconnect it, dry it out, clean the connectors, then try it again. And for goodness sake, fix that leak before it does any more damage, lol!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrissian View Post
From the workshop manual:

Description
General
The Body Control Unit (BCU) is located behind the passenger glovebox and is connected to the main harness by four
connectors on its bottom edge and an additional connector located on the side of the BCU casing. Mounting the BCU
behind the fascia makes it reasonably inaccessible for intruders to disable the anti-theft system.
The BCU uses solid-state microprocessor control to perform logical operations and timing functions for a variety of
the vehicle's electrically operated systems, these include:
l Door locking.
l Anti-theft alarm and immobilisation system.
l Exterior lighting including direction indicators and hazard warning lamps.
l Courtesy lighting.
l Wipers and washers.
l Electric windows and sunroof.
l Heated windows.
The BCU also communicates with several other electronically controlled systems such as the EAT ECU and SLABS
ECU and also has a datalink between the Intelligent Driver Module (IDM) and the instrument pack. The datalink is a
low speed bus capable of transmitting and receiving messages at a data rate of 10,400 bits per second. Additional
inputs and outputs to peripheral devices are included which are necessary for determining vehicle status for particular
logical operations e.g. crank, ignition key inserted, fuel flap enable etc.
The BCU receives its power supply from the engine compartment fuse box, and is protected by a 10 A fuse.
The BCU communicates with the IDM to provide the control signals to perform power switching operations in
conjunction with dedicated relays.

Try to get to the BCU, disconnect it, dry it out, clean the connectors, then try it again. And for goodness sake, fix that leak before it does any more damage, lol!
Hi Calrissian - Thanks for the info - I will check that out for sure - I have also been reading about stopping the leak but using a blanket for now. Do you know if the BCU controls the turning signals as well? Again, thanks for the info, I appreciate it

Now I need to figure out how to get at the BCU.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 10:37 PM

Thumbs up Hazard, turn signals, rear windows central locking not working

I had a similar problem:
Indicators not working (But flashing inside on dash when I indicated)
Hazard signal same
Central locking not working
Rear windows not working

In the process of taking out and checking any related fuses, I took out the BCU fuse (under the hood, its a 10A) attempted to start the car (as I have no idea what I'm doing so I was just taking out fuses 1 by 1 and testing) I put the fuse back in and voila. Problem solved. Still have no idea what caused it but at least I know what to do next time...

LR Discovery 2003 series ii
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in