A"MUST Read For Anyone About to Repair a Head Gaskets or a Valve Train Noise. - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A"MUST Read For Anyone About to Repair a Head Gaskets or a Valve Train Noise.

DiscoBob posted this link this morning and it is a must read for anyone looking to open up their engine for a head gasket job, valve train noise repair and all sort of other facts.
Take the time to read this, RPi Engineering - V8 Engines

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM

Thank you, I'm sure this will save us all headaches and pain. Especially me.

Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2002 Discovery II SE7 (Wife's progeny wagon and tow vehicle)

Second place is S*** place , eh. - Stéphane Peterhansel
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwaszxpolkmncvb View Post
I seen those guys recommend tossing allot of parts I'd otherwise keep if they had some lifespan left.
Hardly surprising when their business is to sell you those parts.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So whats the consensus on ECU remapping? I heard this before from a mechanic here in Savannah. He felt the the overheating was due to the chip needing reworking. Any thoughts on this?
callmedazz likes this.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 PM

link is broken

Doesn't exist any more.... Nevermind, I guess it's back.

Canterbury, CT

Last edited by mbruneaux; 03-16-2011 at 09:21 AM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 AM
03 disco

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
NHas anyone done the chipped ecu? If so has it worked?
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 AM
disco biscuit

Yeah, I second that remark.... has anyone tried this fuel remapping. I read through the RPI website linked by that post from Disco Mike,that claims most overheating problems/head gaskets was a result of excess gas and heat from poor programming. Anyone know if a chip or aftermarket programmer lines our Land Rovers out better? Helps us out here. Follow up with us on this Disco Mike.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 PM

programming

I agree that many engine issues experienced are somewhat related to engine programming. These are seemingly delicate aluminum engines without much forgiveness for overheating or detonation. They have however been used in production vehicles for approx. 40 years without end. This is a wonderful example of a good design put to good use and speaks worlds of the engines potential long term. It should be noted that land rovers run at higher engine temperatures (over 200*) as normal in attempt to maintain emissions standards during production. Also they are run lean in many situations, not rich. This also reduces HC emissions, but increases chances of harmful detonation and further increases engine temperatures. Because of the computer systems involved, most land rovers are NOT easily reprogrammed. I believe the GEMS engines and older hot-wire lucas systems are programmable my many different firms, but often cost more than is reasonable if you are used to reprogramming your typical American or Japanese vehicle. The bosch motronic is used on the 99 up models and is even more difficult to tune, as it uses flash programming and the code is not fully understood as of yet. If you want to make the engine incur less wear and tear from a programming perspective, you are limited in choices based on your current management system. Replacement of engine management with some aftermarket systems may be better in the end, and running the engine around 180 degrees will extend the life as nucleat boiling will be kept to a minimum. This reduces the chance of warped heads, cracked heads, slipping sleeves/liners, and other heat related engine concerns.

In the end, many of these overheating/engine problems may be related to programming..We are trying to run an engine designed in 1962 in a time that lacked ALL forms of emissions control, in a very complicated and picky world of EPA standards and guidlines that differ all over the world. The pressures from goverments to maintain strict standards cause manufacturers to do whatever is necessary to sell the vehicles, which in this case means running the engines too hot and too lean for long term service life. Its not a DOHC honda or toyota with top notch gas-flow technology. Its a 1962 buick v8 hanging on to production for dear life, at whatever the cost.
Ex_MOD_110 and flamandj like this.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 12:33 AM

Last December, I noticed white smoke coming out of exhaust. Fearing a cracked head or block, I drove home and parked it just as the temp gauge started to peg. It has been parked since then; until now when this thread posted. Thank God! I was inspired to give it a shot. I did have to crank it up to get it in the garage rather quickly. Hooked up ABS Amigo and the only fault code was 075. I managed to get both heads off with only one broken plug wire and one flesh wound. The job was not as bad as expected. Actually, I broke all head bolts using a six point 5/8" deep socket attached to a 3" extension with a 3/8" drive ratchet. A 22mm end wrench was used as a redneck cheater bar! Thats where the flesh wound came from.
I was hoping to find a massive blow out on one of the head gaskets. What I found was a small tear on the gasket next to cylinder #1 (see pics). The piston head on cylinder #1 looks like it was steam cleaned. Where have I heard that before?

Does this look like the culprit? Any thoughts on how the other cylinders look? 158,000 miles. Don't know the history before 100K. 93 octane always.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cylinder #1 Gasket failure.jpg
Views:	6740
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	31681   Click image for larger version

Name:	99 DII Cylinder 2,4,6,8.jpg
Views:	2292
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	31682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Both Heads 99 DII.jpg
Views:	1551
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	31683  

Last edited by IsoDisco; 07-03-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Need to add pics
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 AM

In a radical move, what engine would one recommend to install into the Disco 2 which would be good for 2-4 hundred thousand miles? Cummins diesel perhaps?
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM

I haven't been able to find specific Rover rocker arm shims, anyone out there know anywhere to get them? Thank you.

Canterbury, CT

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonfrese View Post
In a radical move, what engine would one recommend to install into the Disco 2 which would be good for 2-4 hundred thousand miles? Cummins diesel perhaps?
There are many threads on replacement engines, I guess that's why no one has responded.

Canterbury, CT

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:18 PM

Chip Tuning

I talked to Mark Adams at Tornado systems. SO far he is the only ECU tuner on the Bosch 5.2 Land Rover. He supplies the .bin files for RPI if not mistaken. Unfortunately, you have to send the ECU across the pond for the flash. Note I said on the Land Rovers. The Bosch 5.2 is also used on BMW, Porsche, Ferrari and others. These autos use a similar map table as the LR does. I have modded the ECU fuel/ignition curves and may supply them if interested.

Reading Mark Adams thoughts on the fuel map, it is suggested to be to lean in the mid range. Looking at the tables can provide some insight if one wishes.

The Land Rover is not very high tech. This stuff is common knowledge.

MAK
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Tennessee Englishman

Location: Border of the Cherokee National Forest, Tennessee, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
DiscoBob posted this link this morning and it is a must read for anyone looking to open up their engine for a head gasket job, valve train noise repair and all sort of other facts.
Take the time to read this, RPi Engineering - V8 Engines
Cool, answered some questions that needed REAL answers!
Thank you very much.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddycapone View Post
NHas anyone done the chipped ecu? If so has it worked?
Interesting, I had my ECU chipped about six years ago. My engine now has 200,000 miles on it and still have yet to do the head gaskets. Also, just did a compression test and all cylinders are near perfect. Runs and idles great.

1999 DII
OME lift, 32" MT, CDL, Powerchip, Voyager rack, ladder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in