A"MUST Read For Anyone About to Repair a Head Gaskets or a Valve Train Noise. - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Crysyn do you remember who chipped your ECU and how much $?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson845 View Post
Crysyn do you remember who chipped your ECU and how much $?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Powerchip group out of California. You will have to ship it to them, so you will be without a truck for a few days. I believe its $490.00 to have it done last time I checked. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1999 DII
OME lift, 32" MT, CDL, Powerchip, Voyager rack, ladder.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Don't waste your money chipping a D2's ECU, all you will do is buy more gas and run a really rich exhaust under load.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
Don't waste your money chipping a D2's ECU, all you will do is buy more gas and run a really rich exhaust under load.
This is wrong information.

1999 DII
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
OK, show us how it is the wrong information??? Have you been envolved with installing and testing the different re-chips or re-programming that have been available in the past? I was for 5 or 6 months at the Rover dealership where I was the service manager, and we did our tests before and after on a Dino which is the only true test.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
OK, show us how it is the wrong information??? Have you been envolved with installing and testing the different re-chips or re-programming that have been available in the past? I was for 5 or 6 months at the Rover dealership where I was the service manager, and we did our tests before and after on a Dino which is the only true test.
Hi Mike, this is in no way trying to argue with you(as you are one of the few people on these boards whose opinion I respect). I had this done in October of 2007 which was about 90,000 miles ago. You and I have discussed this before on here(March of 2012). I told you how my mechanic(who is a very reputable rover mechanic here in Utah) had been trying to get a hold of Powerchip last year as he has liked how it had been working in my 99 D2. By the way, I did get a hold of them through email recently and they got right back with me.

As a reminder, this was the last comment you had in regards to this particular chip that I run in my truck:

That one has been around for years, I nearly gave them a try 6 or 7 years ago but never wanted to lay out the cash, not knowing if it really worked.
Let us know if you ever get in touch with them.

1999 DII

Last edited by Crysyn; 04-10-2013 at 01:18 AM.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 06:21 PM

Thanks again Mike! just getting ready to do heads and now in going to do alot more to be sure my Disco will stay rovin!
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
DiscoBob posted this link this morning and it is a must read for anyone looking to open up their engine for a head gasket job, valve train noise repair and all sort of other facts.
Take the time to read this, RPi Engineering - V8 Engines
Thank you for the post!! Diving into this deep, as it is time to deal with the gaskets..

03 Discovery, Michigan Motorsports rebuild installed in '09..with 92K on orig veh. Now 162K
radiator replaced in '14..(uhh Houston why'd ya wait so long?)
still overheats in AZ summers on those 'roads'..or donkey trails or whatever..
3/19/15 180 thermo just arrived, along with new driveshaft!
Hoping the 180 thermo may help save on gaskets in the future..
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Ugh, In Limbo on this Disco

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
TTY bolt install

First off, I hope this isn't out of place, I know that this thread is mostly talking about ECU remapping, but it's also about head gasket repair and I wanted to share something I learned that I haven't heard anywhere else. Maybe it belongs in another thread, especially Sobienski's about his HG job, but thought this would be a good place since anyone that comes here looking for info on a HG job will more than likely read this thread.

Surprisingly, I did not have a problem getting a 90 degree turn on my TTY bolts. I was confused for a while and started thinking about why this was (I've driven the truck almost 300 miles trying to get all the smog info updated, however, as of now I'm still not get an evaporation read from the comp. This is a whole other story and very frustrating since there are no codes). Okay back on track, so I remembered what I did and I'm quite sure this is why I had no problem and I think this well help other people that decide to go with TTY bolts.

I jacked up the motor, not very high at all, maybe an inch, two at most. I used 1/2" breaker bar with small extension and socket. I had no problem getting 90 degree turns on #8 cyl bolts. I think jacking the motor up a little gave me the clearance from the firewall. I jacked up the motor thinking I would remove motor mounts, then decided screw it. If you do this, you'll have trouble clearing the lower bolt on #7 cyl, so lower it back down. Maybe my truck was just a little different, but hope this might help someone out there doing a HG job.

2001 Discovery II SE7
124200 miles
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
If you didn't use a torque angle gauge, you got an approximation. I've yet to see a torque angle gauge that will fit without dropping the mounts.

As I have written before, I'm guessing that's why so many of the broken head bolts occur in that location.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 04:25 PM

Ahhhh, yeah thanks for calling me out CT. My angle gauge was crap and not working right (operator error I'm sure), so I just used a framing square to make a mark. 2k miles and no problems so far - fingers crossed.

2001 Discovery II SE7
124200 miles
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 05:49 AM

Hope so.

I have found yet another D2 with a somewhat-recent head gasket job done to it and that back bolt on the left side snapped off. The only theory I can come up with is the failure to use an angle gauge on that one due to clearance. Why else would there be regular breakages on that bolt onlynot long after head gasket replacement? If it was a design issue, the right front is exactly the same.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I have a digital "beeping/vibrating" Matco torque wrench, used mostly for BMW & Mercedes work in the past, ARP has the solution to Rover TTY inaccuracies, ARP is what I used on both my D1, D2 and will use on the current D2 I just purchased. IMO, take the boutique store angle gauge and see how many "skips" you can get on flat water, they are not accurate based on loose calibration, tight operating spaces on the truck and poor build quality.

Doug
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 AM

TTY is a production technology. It works lust fine in the closed, close-tolerance environment of an engine production facility. It doesn't lend itself to the repair industry, where so many variables exist, including technician errors, unwillingness to follow directions or lack of skill. TTY is a complex piece of metallurgical technology that the average wrench-thrower likely isn't even aware of or has taken the time to understand, hence the lack of concern for following the procedures precisely.

The ARP solution is pretty much bulletproof. And I simply don't comprehend the resistance. They're under $200 and replace an item with a known propensity for failure. I guess if your time has no value to you and you have a thing for re-doing jobs you've just recently done then they are a waste of money, but I can't say I know anyone with the skill to do head gaskets on a Rover V-8 that would do it for $200.

On the topic of TTY, I find it comical that since the manual doesn't specify, many believe there is no need to replace TTY rod bolts in these engines. Again, it reflects a total lack of understanding on how these fasteners function.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 11:48 AM

Well, for anyone doing this job. If you get the head gasket kit from Lucky 8, you get new TTY bolts with the kit and the whole thing is like $80. Unfortunately for me, having them in possession was too much temptation to put them on, instead of paying $200 for the ARP (especially when I wasn't even sure the head gasket was my main problem, was worried block was bad but turns out that's not the case).

ARP studs are definitely going on the next one, and current cheap angle gauge is going for a swim.

2001 Discovery II SE7
124200 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in