My DIY Cylinder Liner/Sleeve Removal & Top-Hat Install - VIDEO & PICS inside - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DIY Cylinder Liner/Sleeve Removal & Top-Hat Install - VIDEO & PICS inside

Some of you may have read my thread on my DIY engine rebuild I posted earlier in March - CLICK HERE FOR THREAD. I bought a 2003 SE7 for $1,800 with a known blown head gasket. Unfortunately, during disassembly, I discovered the number 4 cylinder was steam-cleaned. After not wanting to believe what several forum members wanted to tell me - I finally came to grips with the fact I had a cracked block. I made some aluminum block-off plates and pressure tested the block up to 60 psi. No leaks - that was odd. Then I researched the core exchange programs out there for around $1,500. The problem was I am on a tight schedule and no shops had blocks ready to ship. So I looked into getting the sleeves and after calling both major sleeve suppliers in the US (Darton & LASleeves), and all the major parts suppliers & engine rebuilders - nobody had sleeves in stock with the bottom o-rings. I finally found them cheaper and faster from England (48 hr shipping) at Turner engineering (GREAT customer service, seriously, Frida is awesome).

Today I got my propane tank exchanged for a full one with the correct threads and readied my large propane torch. It was actually pretty easy and took less time than putting it in my oven (it did fit - I checked). The only liner that gave me trouble was #4, the one that ended up having a pin-hole leak.

After removing the liners, I pressure tested the block again with water and air up to 40 psi. Behold the 2 pin-hole leaks in cylinder #4:

The block goes tomorrow to the machine shop to be bored for a .003-.004 inch interference fit (basically .003-.004" smaller in diameter than the average outer diameter of the Darton sleeves) and have a lip cut for the top-hat liners. I will then heat up the block again with the propane torch, as Turner recommended, and drop in the new liners. Then I'll quickly bolt on the cylinder heads before the cooling aluminum block tries to squeeze the new TIGHT liners out. Then after waiting 4 hrs for cool-down, I'll drop it off at the machine shop again to get decked and the cylinders honed to each individual piston. I'll update tomorrow with more info and organize the post better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 AM

What is the cost of sleeves and machining so far?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 AM
certified idiot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
well done you. Keep the information coming.
cheers
Barri

1999 discovery 11, some new cars, 1988 xj40, 1976 deville 8.2l, 1974 450sl, 1969 lotus 7, 1961 austin mini

the best view is always from the point of no return and you only ever have too much fuel when you are on fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Great post, thanks!

2000 DII, 04 DII CDL lever. T-Top Liners, 2" Lift, Factory Winch Tray
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM

Updates???

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
Updates???

Finished the engine. Took High Definition video of ALL engine assembly. Will be uploading to YouTube soon. Lots of pics. Just stuck on where to buy 80mm driver's side idler pulley that the previous owner did not give me with all the parts. Expect more videos to be updated with this thread once I get it running, flush the transmission, and check for ABS codes (car was missing Hill Descent Control switch which leads me to believe the 3 amigos brake error codes were showing up).
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 08:37 PM

What was the cost of the sleeves and machine work ?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What was the cost of the sleeves and machine work ?

Machine work - $520.
Sleeves from Turner Engineering - $626

Machine work included boring old cylinders to larger size for sleeves, machining lip on top of cylinders for top-hat/flange of liner, installing new sleeves, honing each cylinder to each piston, and decking/re-surfacing the block.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 AM

Wow that seems really cheap for the machine work ! I thought you installed the sleeves?

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow that seems really cheap for the machine work ! I thought you installed the sleeves?

I was going to, but the machine shop that did the sleeve work was 1 hr away, the machine work wasn't too expensive, and I didn't want to waste gas going back just to push in the sleeves. It wouldn't have been hard though. I had them use my grill propane bottle and flamethrower/large torch.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Update:

Engine is in the car, have to install radiator, coolant temperature sensor gauge, hook up oil pressure gauge, rebuild driveshafts, change transfer case oil, and then I can start it up.

Some pictures to look at until I upload all my engine assembly videos in glorious 720p High Definition.

Block back from machinist - $510 total for boring lip and large cylinder diameter to accept sleeves, install sleeves, hone each cylinder to each individual piston, resurface block. Took a week because they had 2 aluminum cutting bits break on my block.

Pistons Installed:

Oil Pump Gears Installed & Packed With Vaseline/Permatex Red Assembly Lube Mix:

Installing Rocker Shims/Calculating which size shim to use:

Accessories Installed:

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Just out rovin about

Great work man! You doing a cam or anything while its apart?? Maybe cut the heads,port the heads,anything??

00 DII 5in RTE's 37's Bead locks,and Pink wheels!
01 BMW 740IL Dropped modded stupid fast.
06 Triumph Sprint St. custom exhaust,tune,sprockets,hids..... on and on and on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
91 G.D.E. #1 project/daily winter driver<Cut into 100 peices!!>Sold!
93 BMW 325i project/daily summer driver:SOLD!
00 BUELL cyclone custom
Sold!
73 SERIES III 100inch hybrid sold!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDivide1 View Post
Great work man! You doing a cam or anything while its apart?? Maybe cut the heads,port the heads,anything??
It is back together and already in the car. Completely stock rebuild. Should be starting it up today and then after doing a transmission fluid + filter job and doing some test runs, I'll finally have time to post all my assembly videos and pics.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM

Great post. Can't wait to see pics. Do you have any links to where you got the sleeves?

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Great post. Can't wait to see pics. Do you have any links to where you got the sleeves?

4.6V8 range rover engine parts, pistons, bearing set - Scroll down, they even sell short and long blocks.

Turner Engineering Ductile iron flanged liner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in