Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum (https://www.landroversonly.com/forums/)
-   Discovery Series II (https://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/)
-   -   Need some serious help (https://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/need-some-serious-help-154757/)

Evanblanc 01-15-2019 06:04 PM

Ok so here's the deal. Bought a 2002 disco II. Let me preface by saying I do have a bit of experience with LR and I am a mechanical engineer so I am quite mechanically proficient.

The car: 2002 4.0 v8 North American disco II

Problem: when entering key position 2 hazards come on (will not shut off until batt disconnected) and engine will crank, but not start.

Details: Battery is brand new. Ckps is brand new( bosch). Inertia switch is brand new. Engine will fire on ether. Fuel pump does work when jumped and pressure is established all the way up to rail. So we know that engine does have sufficient spark and fuel is traveling all the way to rail (when jumped). Key fob does work and immobilizer/ alarm system is operating properly. Under normal starting procedure flashers/hazards will turn on prior to even cranking (when entering key pos 2) fuel pump will not turn on and injectors will not deliver fuel.

What are all possible scenarios/faults that would turn on hazards?

Is there a way to jump/short inertia switch wiring further down the line? At fuse box?

My thought is whatever is causing this is a fault or safety feature that will not allow power to fuel pump/injectors? What all can do this?

Note: ignition switch is newer, but has worked and original fob still works to lock/unlock/arm/disarm.

Any help would be beyond greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sierrafery 01-15-2019 06:47 PM

Seems like problem on the inertia switch's circuit as you well suspected, it controlls the coil of the main relay R9, check fuses F1 and F13(engine bay), swap relay R9 with R8 to rule the relay out, if still no joy remove R9 and bridge the contact side of it(perpendicular cavities) if this makes the trick check what's missing on the coil , it should get earth from the ECM when ignition is turned on and should have permannent live through the inertia switch

Evanblanc 01-15-2019 08:40 PM

Nailed it! Fired right up! Required the jump so something's still not right, will get into this further tomorrow... I appreciate this so much! Thank you!

Redrover NC 01-16-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evanblanc (Post 836085)
Nailed it! Fired right up! Required the jump so something's still not right, will get into this further tomorrow... I appreciate this so much! Thank you!

Uh ... you didn't say what "Nailed it!" Please specify. Thanks.

Evanblanc 01-17-2019 04:55 PM

Yes I did. Jumped relay r9 as described in prior posts. Read the whole stream... it's the relay that becomes active relative to the inertia switch.

tyl604 01-18-2019 05:03 AM

Was not clear to me either. For future readers it would helpful if you would make one final post outlining exactly what you did to resolve the problem.

Evanblanc 01-22-2019 09:52 PM

Relay "R9" in engine compartment fuse box is what inertia switch goes to. For a temporary fix to make the vehicle run I jumped the relay with a wire.

p76rangie 01-23-2019 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evanblanc (Post 836281)
Relay "R9" in engine compartment fuse box is what inertia switch goes to. For a temporary fix to make the vehicle run I jumped the relay with a wire.

Couldn't you just reset the inertia switch

Evanblanc 01-23-2019 06:52 AM

My inertia switch is brand new. The problem was somewhere deeper. Could be in fuse box. Will post when I have it fixed correctly without the bypass