new member, new Rover :) - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new member, new Rover :)

hey guys, my name is Ray, im 23, im from NE Ohio, i just purchased an 03 Land Rover Discovery SE last week after researching a lot on here. it has 70k miles, one owner. clean carfax.

doesnt have sunroofs to leak, doesnt have SLS to go bad. no coolant in the oil(yet, knock on wood :P) not one of the bad oil pump VIN series. replaced the 3 front u-joints and centering ball with naepco greasables from Advanced Auto the day after i bought it.

next week im changing the transfer case fluid and front and rear diffs.

in the spring , im having Trailhead 4x4(Land Rover shop, not a car dealer) near me change the trans fluid and possibly the trans filters too. im personally changing the valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires with magnacores. the two little coolant hoses on the TB need replaced, leaking a little bit. then changing the coolant at that same time as well. little bit at a time, but asap too.

well ill think of more info, and questions to ask you guys(after searching), just wanted to introduce myself. SO excited about the new purchase, i have always wanted one, and found a nice one. not one scratch on it, two tiny door-ding size dents in the hood right next to each other, non smoker.

few little things need fixed, rear left corner black plastic piece has 2 broken clips, so its loose, not scuffed or cracked at all, just needs 2 new clips. right side, rear door flare needs stuck back on with some thin 3m automotive tape. all the flares need sanded and re-dyed or painted, they are faded on top and are a little rough. i found a black plastic exterior automotive trim dye kit at Summit Racing. ill have to check that out. other than that, it needs nothing, drives like a dream. very excited about the whole thing

here are some pictures

after i got her home

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:50 PM

Welcome! good looking truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
In The Shit

nIce ..very clean!! I bought an '03 back in December and love the whole safety factor about it plus its does pretty bitchen off road. So you got it from a dealer . Did they give you any kind of warranty?? Oh do the belt if it wasnt done or get ready to. very easy. And love that style rim u have. I just did the plugs and wires.. got the NGK plats.. and ordered the kingsbourne 8mm wires ...22 for plugs and 47 for the wires, not to shabby.. when you do the valve covers dont forget the gasket for the plenum... I need to get some pictures of mine up especialy since the windows got tinted today....good luck wit it!!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

thank you for the quick replies!

so i put in the 5w30 Valvoline oil in there. i have been searching around here for what oil is prefered, and im seeing TONS of different opinions. mines an 03 with the 4.6. what do you guys recommend? im thinking the 5w40, But what brand? you guys run Rotella diesel oil in your gas engines?

should i change my oil tomorrow? or will the 5w30 valvoline be ok for 3k miles until my next oil change?

im really paranoid because i want to take care of this engine, and im just seeing tons of different weights and brands, ratings that i dont know what that stuff means. and seems everybody here could have a different engine, either the 4.0, or a TDI engine etc.

what do you guys think about doing the seafoam in the oil/gas tank/induction(where would i pull the vacuum from for the seafoam in the intake) for my next oil change?

thanks again!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:24 PM

I run 5-40 Rotella T synthetic during the winter and 15-40 during the summer, Judging by the snow on the ground in your pictures, I would go with 5-40 to help with cold wheather start up. Dont forget Premium fuel will keep your engine running cleaner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

i ran nothing but shell gasoline in my previous jeep, and have put 2 tanks of Shell 93 premium in this already.i use nothing but Shell unless there isnt one around in an emergency. and i also ran nothing but mobil1 filters/mobil1 regular synthetic oil(NOT the long interval/high milage ones)

so 6 quarts of rotella 5w40 diesel motor oil will be good for this motor?

is it just me, or do the dipsticks in these motors suck and are hard to read, oil streaks up the whole dipstick, even when you freshly wipe the dipstick each time?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 PM
In The Shit

I used mobil 1 10-40 Im also in AZ and dont really have to worry about FREEZE!!
I was in the same boat as you....what to use and shit.. Oh and the sea foam I read some postings about it but I still dont even know what the hell it is...LOL
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Clean Rover! I love that interior color combination.

Welcome to the family!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 PM

welcome, you might want to think about removing the fender flares all together, I did on mine and love the way it looks, this is the only pic that I have right now. Its easy enough to do, just get a plastic putty knife to loosen up the 3m tape and pull them off, rub off the tape that stays on and then use some goo-gone to get the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 025.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	24543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 028.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	24544  

2001 Disco II w/ 2" Terrafirma lift
265/75 Destination M/T - sold

1989 Range Rover Classic - sold

2005 Discovery 3 HSE
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

i put the mobil1 301 filter in today, with Rotella T 15w40 oil non-synthetic. MUCH better!! took some new pictures today too

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:26 PM
In The Shit

SWEET !!!! man I just got my windows tinted, gotta get some pictures of it up... Im liken the shots
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

thanks! im still learning to use the Nikon D60, im getting a little better. i need the OME lift and disconnects :P these dont "flex" very well in stock form, but still just GO where you want them to, they dont stop! flex is overrated anyways
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

here is a picture of my Liberty that i got rid of. im gonna miss it but i sure do love my LR, so its not a huge issue
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:58 AM
In The Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYMAN985 View Post
here is a picture of my Liberty that i got rid of. im gonna miss it but i sure do love my LR, so its not a huge issue
WOW I would have to say I never saw one done up like that.. thats way cool , original ! so you guys might be getting more snow out your way .. there is a huge storm front that just came in off the coast of Cali and Im in AZ and right now we are getting pounded with rain...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 AM
In The Shit

Here we go Ray ....finally some pictures when I first got this and did a little off raod trip with the fam.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in