Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

no power to fuel pump, and inertia switch problem

83K views 65 replies 15 participants last post by  tivani.bonita 
#1 ·
So thursday my disco died on me while driving, motor just stopped didnt buck or anything i didnt even notice until i pressed the gas down. i was going down hill and off the throttle. i still had all power to everything else. and everything else works just fine. i had it towed home and now have been trouble shooting all weekend. any advice would be gladly accepted.

cranks but wont fire

First i checked and replace the crank position sensor. (if i was going to pull it i thought i would just replace it)

spray started fluid and got it to fire up, to rule out a spark issue.

I have found that i am getting no power to the fuel pump, i have jumped power to the pump and it works. i have tested power through the fuse box, checked all relays and fuses, all good. i found a that in the plug wire to the inertia switch had been pinched and the white wire had some damage. I fixed the wire and got another another switch. the original switch didnt "pop" the switch though. so i thought it may have damaged the switch.

so im not really sure what to check. i dont have a wire diagram of the fuel pump set up and i dont know where the white wire goes to from the inertia switch. does it go to the ecu?

its a 2001 disco.

See less See more
#2 ·
Possible fuel pump relay assuming you are getting a good signal from the crank sensor.

#3 ·
crank sensor is good. i have tested and swapped the relay and its good. I am just about to get home and test the white wire from the inertia switch to see if the wire shorted out (the one i found damaged). so far everything else has power and all fuses and relays are good.

one rover mechanic friend i spoke with is quick to say ecu problem. while i know it could possibly be an ecu issue i seriously doubt it. he is more of a throw parts at it and see if it fixes it type of guy. and thats not the right way.

#4 ·
How did you swap relays, there is only one that will work in a D2, none of the others will.

#6 ·
Check the number on both relays, I think you will find the fuel pump relay is different.

#9 ·
Let me know how it turns out and if you would, send me the relay number so I can verify it.

#12 ·
He has spark based on firing it up with some carb cleaner.
I am running out of ideas.

#13 ·
im running out of ideas too, would the main relay effect the power to the pump?

LR Tech- i have spark, and no power to the fuel pump. the pump has been tested and works. i need to find what cause the motor to die and cut power to the fuel pump.

#14 ·
So, even if you prime the pump with the key, you get no 3 or 4 second pump run?
Send me your number and lets talk.
By the way., I am still thinking you may have the wrong relay. You mentioned you switch out a couple of your first, well there are 4 different large yellow relays from the factory, numbered RSL2 3 4 and 6 with only the RSL2 is an actual fuel pump relays, the others are not set to run the pump.

#19 ·
so still no luck. i just spent most of the day going through everything with a buddy that is very skilled working with cars and we cant get it to start.

we went through all the wiring and everything was checking out. the one we were a little unsure about was on the fuel pump relay. we got 12v from (65) and 5v from (66) (see attachment. is that normal?

then we also tried to get the engine to run by jumping the fuel pump. so i can get the motor to fire with starter fluid, but can not get the motor to fire/run with the pump running. any ideas? because i am running out.

thanks

Attachments

#63 ·
so still no luck. i just spent most of the day going through everything with a buddy that is very skilled working with cars and we cant get it to start.

we went through all the wiring and everything was checking out. the one we were a little unsure about was on the fuel pump relay. we got 12v from (65) and 5v from (66) (see attachment. is that normal?

then we also tried to get the engine to run by jumping the fuel pump. so i can get the motor to fire with starter fluid, but can not get the motor to fire/run with the pump running. any ideas? because i am running out.

thanks
I need the Fuel Pump Wiring Diagram for: 1993 RRC 4.2 LWB please. Won't start, new pump, relays, cranks, good spark. Can you help or guide me?

#20 ·
Well i still have not figured out the problem, i sort of put it on the back burner as i picked up an 03 black on black 4.6 HSE7 yesterday. i am in the process of transferring everything over to my new truck (rack, ladder, sliders, skid plates, diff guards, lift wheel/tires, stereo, etc...)

I am leaning towards the ecu as the injectors are not opening now either. as soon as im able to get everything swapped over im going to get my old disco down to the shop and taken care of so i can sell it.

I will update when i figure out what caused this problem.

#21 ·
I can't remember did you reset the inerita switch and or by pass it, if it is acting up, the pump won't activate.

#22 ·
i did test the inertia switch, it was not triggered. i replaced it just in case, and i did try to by pass it.

here is a pic of my new truck too! i have moved the rack and ladder so far, sliders are off the old and just need to be installed. my plan was to get the suspension swapped today, but its raining.... so hopefully it clears up long enough for me to get something done on my day off!

Attachments

#24 ·
thanks, i will update a pic when i get everything swapped over. the new truck has sls, so hopefully this weekend i will be able to grab some stock springs and swap suspension with my other disco, then the wheels/tires, skidplates, diff guards and all my stereo stuff.

#26 ·
If you want to add onto this link, at least post all the specifics as to your vehicle, mileage, last tune up, ever replaced the CPS and what have you checked so far?

#27 ·
Ran into something that has to be related today.

2004 Disco, 179K miles (Wife's truck). Pretty well maintained.

Recent history leading up to today.

1. Original alternator went out about four months ago; I replaced it with a refurbished NAPA unit. All good until a week ago...

2. Wife was driving it last week and the disco just died on her. She was able to restart it and drive it straight to the local LR dealership. They said it would take them a week to get to it and they gave her a loaner. Yesterday, they diagnose the issue as a bad alternator. I told them I'd get a replacement from NAPA and install it myself. They sold us a new battery to get it back home. OK...

3. Got a new OEM alternator from NAPA and installed it this morning. New battery and alternator - GOOD!

4. Driving up to Tahoe this afternoon in stop and go traffic, I noticed hesitation when I stepped on the gas from a stop - I actually thought I may have had my foot on the brake and gas at the same time (big boots). A few minutes later, same thing, except this time I got a "Service Engine Soon" and flashing green "M" and "S" gear symbols and flashing "D" gear indicator next to odometer. Pull off the road, shut it down and pulled the key out of the ignition. I start her up a few moments later and all lights reset except for the SES one. All seems fine.

5. I stop in Auburn for dinner about an hour later. Parked on a medium incline (nose up) and let the disco sit for about an hour. After dinner, I try to start it and it will only crank - not fire. Plenty of juice, cranking well. Called AAA and started to Google the issue on my phone. Checked all battery and alternator connections - they looked good. Phone died - last resort = look at the manual. I came across the Inertia Fuel Shutoff Switch and figured I'd give it a shot. I pressed on the rubber switch button (reset?) and she fired right up. Ran fine for the next hour all the way to Tahoe. We'll see how she does in the morning.

No door lock or flasher actuation, just fuel shutoff.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.