Pic of my clean '04 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Deleted

Last edited by M Ford; 07-29-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nice find, not many S models. You are not missing anything by not having sunroofs. I have Roxstar sliders on my 03. Probably the strongest ones on the market I found. They mount to the frame and the sills. Brad will hook you up with whatever you need. Here's where mine has ended up and it's still not done lol...They are never finished! Have fun building it You are off to a good start.

8g0

1996 Disco XD 1996 Trek #4 and Camel Trophy Team USA Selections 1997
2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
1998 Disco LSE 7 50th Anniversary Baluga Black
1987 Defender 110 300tdi/R380
1969 Series 2A 109
Pacific Coast Rover Club
Redmond, Washington

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Site Sponsor

great pics guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Land Rover

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 |
|
|
|
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM

saharatj98 - what type of snorkel is that? and what is the purpose of the cables that go from the bumper to the rack other than looking cool? i saw this on another rover and was wondering if there was a practical reason.

M Ford - Lets see the pics of that head unit, subs (did you just replace the stock rear door ones with others that fit?) and the tinted rear lights.

Didn't even notice the fender flares were removed...looks good without them
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 PM

What rack is that? I've been looking around (lightly) and seen that on many pictures but cant seem to find a matching vendor one.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChaze View Post
saharatj98 - what type of snorkel is that? and what is the purpose of the cables that go from the bumper to the rack other than looking cool? i saw this on another rover and was wondering if there was a practical reason.

M Ford - Lets see the pics of that head unit, subs (did you just replace the stock rear door ones with others that fit?) and the tinted rear lights.

Didn't even notice the fender flares were removed...looks good without them
i think the point of those cables are so that tree branches sticking out dont get in the way of the windshield and move over

2003 disco. exhaust mod,265/65r18
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Purpose of the cables is to keep brush from running up the windshield and lodging between the roof and the rack.
The rack is a Safety Devices expedition rack and have not been available for years. www.roverracks.com builds decent knock offs but the mounts are not nearly as stout. Keep an eye out on ebay and craigslist for one. There are versions for the D1 and D2 and the lengths are different so be aware of that. There are also low and high versions. Low ones require removal of the factory roof bars and sunroofs can not open if you have them. High versions allow the roofs to open and roof bars to stay in place.
Snorkel is made by Mantec and a great piece of kit. I thought about making one, but it is more involved than just bending tubing. They look factory and better than the plastic ones that look tacked on and run down the length of the fender.
The sandtrack was surplus UK military from WWII and comes in ten foot sections. It was a group buy with Northwest Overland Society and we got a pallet of them cut in halves. I added cross bars on the rack for the tent, strap steel bent out and then in like the Camel racks to mount the track on the sides and then more strap steel across the front for the dual jerry can holders to mount to. Top it with chicken coop flooring from www.farmtec.com and you're ready to go. I also added light tabs on the bottom of the lower rear hoop on the rack to mount Freelander Safari 3000 lights so they would mount low enough to clear the tent opening. Home Depot has excellent mild steel square tabs with a 1/2" hole in the center for this purpose. Nothing is easy, but to get it set up right is worth it. You can modify a Jeep spare tire hilift carrier too that goes through the center of your spare wheel... Flip the spare carrier upside down so you can clear your bumper with the oversize tire. Full Southdown skid plates... It never ends.... Word to the wise, I had to modify every skidplate to fit... I would use someone else's skid plates. They are probably the toughest out there, but the design is far from accurate. Gas tank and front axle guard are the only ones that fit right (sort of) out of the box. Steering guard holes did not line up and had to be re-drilled and then notched for the ARB mounts. Rear diff cover bracket had interferance issues with the panhard bar mount hitting it and needed bending to fit the diff right to begin with. Wheels are off a P38 RR and the only 16" wheels I could find at the time....This one is a SE7 so had the worthless 18" Hurricanes on it. Now they have mud tires for this size, but didn't at the time I did this. I like to have sidewall anyway so it is just as well.

Curious about your head unit. This one has HK/Nav but I'd rather have an in dash changer than deal with the magazine under the seat crap. I have yet to hear of anyone having a successful stereo upgrade on these since everything works together. They either have amp/speaker or changer issues trying to change just one component of the system. I'd like to upgrade the stereo in my 98 LSE but haven't due to these reasons.

1996 Disco XD 1996 Trek #4 and Camel Trophy Team USA Selections 1997
2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
1998 Disco LSE 7 50th Anniversary Baluga Black
1987 Defender 110 300tdi/R380
1969 Series 2A 109
Pacific Coast Rover Club
Redmond, Washington

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 AM

Nice head unit. Looks real clean. Did you lose functionality of the steering wheel control when you hooked this up? Did you have any other issues connecting it?

My stock radio has recently decided it wants to seek every 5 min...debating what i am going to do
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Ford View Post
Wheel spacers came in the mail yesterday!
Do you rub when you articulate the Supension?

2004 Discovery SE - RoverTyme 4"+ Lift w/ Fox Emulsion, TF HD Steering rods, TF rock slider w/ trees, TF diff guards, TF wheel spacers, Nitto Trail Grappler MT 285-65-18 LT tires, BajaRack w/OEM ladder, Tactical Rovers front winch bumper w/ Engo 9000S

Tampa, Florida
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 10:35 AM

What kind of Jerry Can Rigs are on that Safety devices rack?!?

I've been struggling to find some to work with mine...

Thanks!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:29 AM
Joe Btfsplk

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Are any of you going to sell your original front bumpers? I will be in Washington in September/October if there is one available for a decent price....

A Canadian living in Africa. My Disco 2 on Lake Sibaya.

"My LR is like a child: she has a mind of her own which has set new boundaries to my limits of patience, she needs constant attention, she is unique and made me experience the full spectrum of human emotions ... but is impossible not to love her."
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Ford View Post
Wheel spacers came in the mail yesterday!
The combination of those spacers and the new subs are going to push you into the "poser" category real quick. Watch out for strike three!

Oh Crikey! It's the Albanian Rozzers.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 05:49 PM

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the purpose of wheel spacer? Does it improve the horrible turn radius?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in