Rear Door Speaker install - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear Door Speaker install

Well this past weekend I finished my stereo project, however I just too pics of the rear doors...forgot to take them on the fronts...same principle tho, minus the tweeter install...

Here's the door with the panel off. Just unplug the speakers and the window switch and it pops off fairly easily...just make sure you dont leave any of the blue things in the door...

Here's the tweeter wires. I just Clipped off these plugs and spliced the wires together with some plugs I had.

This is the lower speaker wire, luckily crutchfield included the speaker adapters...made all of this just plug and play, except for the tweeters of course.

Here's the tweeter mount from the backside...A standard tweeter should fit just fine once you remove the OEM tweeters.

Frontside pic...

Routed wires through the cup...

Finished Tweeter Install...

Here is the afore mentioned speaker adapter...I got 4 of these included with my purchase.

Shiny new speakers...

And thats where I forgot to take pics...haha, had to redril the holes for the new speakers, only 4 holes, using a 9/64 drill bit. There were no clearance issues with these speakers and the grilles. I did these doors first because crutchfield said there was some sort of issue with these fitting in the rear doors, it required a slimline speaker...I figured I could figure something out to do with it, so I ordered it anyways.

The front doors were very simple too, just needed a phillips screwdriver, and a panel tool...or a flat stiff piece of metal. I left the midrange speakers connected, I'm still on the fence about replacing them as well...

The sound is a thousand times better, I dont know if my OEM's were shot or if these speakers are just that good..I can turn them up so loud that I cant be in the truck, and there is little to no distortion. The bass is fantastic...I still have the rear door sub hooked up, theres two cheapo speakers in there. The door speakers drown them out completely...

very very pleased with this speaker selection. Will be changing the head unit and adding an amp and sub eventually. I still have the aftermarket crossovers, I will probably remove the OEM's and install the polk's when I change everything else over...this definantely made me wana trash the speakers I took outta the truck...and I compared them side by side with a friend of mine's disco this afternoon, he doesnt have the HK system, but wow, amazing difference.

Hope this helps anyone out there that's curious about this...as for the front doors, if i replace the mid's i'll post pictures of that as well...Theres a handfull of screws and two plastic nuts holding the pocket on the front door, and the panel tool can be used to remove the speaker grilles on the rear doors. If not for the tweeter install, this can be completed without removing the door panel.

Again, if anyone has any questions or any additional ideas, Im open to suggestions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 06:12 PM

Just for my own info, what size are the door speaks? Front and Rear? Great install. Love Polks!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I used 6 1/2" and the tweeters are standard 1.5" I think. You could probably get away with a 5 1/4 speaker since some of them will fit in a 6 1/2" speaker spot...the woofers on the OEM speakers are quite a bit smaller in comparison to the polks...and they're just cheap paper.

I got to looking at my friend's disco, apparently some models dont have tweeters in the rear doors and the midrange in the fronts...I didnt know this, I figured they were all basically the same...

Just FYI i guess...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 05:59 AM

gracias... appreciate it! in need of a little sound upgrade and have some time to kill this weekend!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Anytime...if i did it all at one time and didnt stretch it out all day between movies and football, it probably would have taken about an hour maybe hour and a half to complete the install...but all day projects are fun too
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 05:41 PM

hey bama, nice job i recently replaced all the stock speakers like you did. i didnt replace the head unit or amp or anyhting liek that though. did you? i was wondering how much of a difference that might make....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

From past experience it should make a good difference, depending upon your choice of aftermarket speakers...aftermarket amp and aftermarket head unit will sound better than old OEM equipment.

I will be replacing my head unit in the near future, if i can find one that I like and offers the features I want...I kind of want to go with a flip out touch screen, but I dont know how well those will fit in the disco.

I noticed a huge difference just by switching the speakers, I can only imagine that if you replace amp and head unit correctly, it will be an amazing sound system.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:48 AM

Yes, a good headunit will make a big difference. All I did so far was replace the headunit and it sounds 10x better with just stock speakers.

The smaller standard size headunits fit with the dash kit and look good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in