Replacement rollers for window regulators - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
And I didn't even submit a proposal...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Replacement rollers for window regulators

Hello all,

Over the past two years I have worked (on and off) on finding a permanent solution for replacing the rollers on the power window mechanism instead of replacing the more expensive power window mechanism itself. The major hurdle was that the shaft on which the rollers are installed is in fact a rivet that is resistance welded to the lever arms of the mechanism. So I designed a two part roller that is glued over the rivet using JBWeld adhesive. There is no need to remove the rivet or anything like that.

After a few iterations with my 3D printer, I decided to upload my design at Shapeways, and have it professionally printed with much better plastic and a nicer finish.

So after almost two years of testing, the roller is available at the following address :

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Lowest_Bidder

The part is made out of white nylon, and is composed of six half-rollers that are held together by small bridges. You carefully cut the bridges and sand the cut smooth. You then apply a fine coat of grease all around the rivet carefully, apply the JB Weld adhesive carefully on the mating surfaces, then finally put the parts together over the rivet and allow the adhesive to set. The three rollers that are included in one part allow you to replace all three rollers on one mechanism, or repair three rollers on different windows. With all the right tools and the Rave manual to get the window regulator out, itís a pretty easy job.

Shapeways is a company that prints your design in the material you choose, then ship it to you. They determine the production and shipping costs, and if you want to make the product available to others, then you can add a suitable markup that reflects the time and money you spent on developing the object that is being sold. So I decided on a markup that is equivalent to buying a bottle of beer. So itís like you are buying me a beer for sharing my design with you.

Thanks!
Georges

2003 SE-7 Disco II, 132,000 km.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is incredible. Way to give back to the community!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 03:43 PM
certified idiot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Excellent job Georges - well done and thanks

1999 discovery 11, some new cars, 1988 xj40, 1976 deville 8.2l, 1974 450sl, 1969 lotus 7, 1961 austin mini

the best view is always from the point of no return and you only ever have too much fuel when you are on fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Get mine at the local hardware store from cabinet drawer rollers.

Larry K, ASE
2011 LR4 HSE LUX
previous owns: 87 Classic
96 Disco, 96 P38
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagfixer View Post
Get mine at the local hardware store from cabinet drawer rollers.
I've done that as well on a number of occasions but this is a far more elegant repair.

lowbidder, don't forget to post this on all DI boards as well. From mid '95 on they used the exact same front regulators.

Classic Rovers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

203-770-1699
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Grant View Post
I've done that as well on a number of occasions but this is a far more elegant repair.
Thanks Paul!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

I just got the final version this morning. The fit is perfect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in