Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

SAI pump air filter... cover...

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  reverendALC 
#1 ·
yo.

as i'm tightening up all of the loose ends on this disco, i'm currently sort of stuck on the SAI pump.

somebody retrofitted a VW/AUDI pump into this truck. real crap-like too. it's ziptied into the bracket. it sounds like a shopvac on its last leg. this VW part doesn't terminate at a little airbox, it has an inlet hose that looks like it may have been routed to an engine airbox on the donor vehicle. nothing was connected and it's been sucking in god knows what.

anyway, i got a used disco2 SAI pump and the foam filter is disintegrated... any recommendations on whether to order a $500 OEM piece of foam, or a good substitute material for DIY?
also there's a small chunk of the filter cover missing, but i believe that a good foam filter won't be affected.

#2 ·
K&N replacement filter

Hey hello - I was getting an error code P1412, Bank 1. I replaced my filter with this mini K&N filter but I dont recall the model number. I had to hack a little piece of plastic off the inlet to fit this but was minor. I was hoping this might fix the issue I had but not so. Checking the valve next.

Hope this helps on a filter replacement.

Attachments

#4 ·
sweet, i had stumbled across that as well. what i just realized that REALLY stinks is that who decided to stuff that VW pump in there... well they cut off the OE harness plug and spliced on the VW plug. now i'll have to source an LR plug and resplice before I can even hook the correct pump up.

the VW part has a different cover which has a 1" tube opening, no internal filter, and would be incredibly easy to attach the K&N to. not sure which direction to proceed in, as i'm not a super big fan of how the K&N looks. it reminds me of cheap "upgrades" from the high school days.

i was however able to stuff some filter foam into the 1" inlet and it sounds way better. luckily there's a 90 elbow right as it goes into the impeller cavity so i don't have to worry about my foam working its way in.

i did drill out the rivets and open the OEM pump that i acquired to check the inside out, and it's super clean!

Attachments

#6 ·
sweet, i had stumbled across that as well. what i just realized that REALLY stinks is that who decided to stuff that VW pump in there... well they cut off the OE harness plug and spliced on the VW plug. now i'll have to source an LR plug and resplice before I can even hook the correct pump up.
Sounds like you need to hit a scrapyard for that harness. How's the progress coming?

#5 ·
That's the same K&N filter I use on my SAI pump. :angel

#7 ·
I actually cut the plug and about 12” of wire off of another disco last weekend, and scored a good air filter cover for it as well. My new rubber mounty things arrived yesterday, and if all goes as planned I’ll be installing an OEM SAI pump with all the OEM fixings this weekend!

A lot of irons in the fire though, as I’m reupholstering the headliner and converting the pillars and roof trim to black... and I was just reminded by a fair amount of water that I still need to reseal the front roof. At least the liner is still out!

On a side note I’m on my way to pick up my set of 5 Range Rover stormers from powdercoat.

Will post pics!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.