SAI pump air filter... cover... - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
very disco

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
SAI pump air filter... cover...

yo.

as i'm tightening up all of the loose ends on this disco, i'm currently sort of stuck on the SAI pump.

somebody retrofitted a VW/AUDI pump into this truck. real crap-like too. it's ziptied into the bracket. it sounds like a shopvac on its last leg. this VW part doesn't terminate at a little airbox, it has an inlet hose that looks like it may have been routed to an engine airbox on the donor vehicle. nothing was connected and it's been sucking in god knows what.

anyway, i got a used disco2 SAI pump and the foam filter is disintegrated... any recommendations on whether to order a $500 OEM piece of foam, or a good substitute material for DIY?
also there's a small chunk of the filter cover missing, but i believe that a good foam filter won't be affected.

2003 Disco 2 SE7 - going to be buried in it
2006 RR Sport HSE - project
1997 Disco SE - SOLD
2003 Disco 2 SE7 - SOLD
1995 Disco SE - SOLD
2001 Disco 2 SE - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
K&N replacement filter

Hey hello - I was getting an error code P1412, Bank 1. I replaced my filter with this mini K&N filter but I dont recall the model number. I had to hack a little piece of plastic off the inlet to fit this but was minor. I was hoping this might fix the issue I had but not so. Checking the valve next.

Hope this helps on a filter replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAI Filter.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	87247  

**2004 Discovery 2**
(Amigo free since March 28, 2018)

**1994 Defender 90**
**1997 Defender 90 SW**
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Ah - just found the details on it. $20 on Amazon: K&N 62-1370 Vent Air Filter / Breather: Vent Air Filter/ Breather; 1 in (25 mm) Flange ID; 1.5 in (38 mm) Height; 2 in (51 mm) Base; 2 in (51 mm) Top

**2004 Discovery 2**
(Amigo free since March 28, 2018)

**1994 Defender 90**
**1997 Defender 90 SW**

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
very disco

sweet, i had stumbled across that as well. what i just realized that REALLY stinks is that who decided to stuff that VW pump in there... well they cut off the OE harness plug and spliced on the VW plug. now i'll have to source an LR plug and resplice before I can even hook the correct pump up.

the VW part has a different cover which has a 1" tube opening, no internal filter, and would be incredibly easy to attach the K&N to. not sure which direction to proceed in, as i'm not a super big fan of how the K&N looks. it reminds me of cheap "upgrades" from the high school days.

i was however able to stuff some filter foam into the 1" inlet and it sounds way better. luckily there's a 90 elbow right as it goes into the impeller cavity so i don't have to worry about my foam working its way in.

i did drill out the rivets and open the OEM pump that i acquired to check the inside out, and it's super clean!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8012.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	87249  

1997 Disco SE - SOLD
2003 Disco 2 SE7 - SOLD
1995 Disco SE - SOLD
2001 Disco 2 SE - SOLD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:54 AM
Expert Crate Digger

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
That's the same K&N filter I use on my SAI pump.

MIKE
- 2001 Discovery 2 SE (NAS LHD) “MYRTLE”, 110K miles, 4.0L V8, NGK Iridium IX plugs, PCV mod, 180* T-stat, Hayden fan clutch/Dorman fan, removed TBH, SAI modded K&N filter, Safari Gard steel guards, Warn XD9000i winch, KO2 265/75R16 on steel rims, EBC rotors/Akebono pads, +2” TF lift & LEDs
- UltraGauge Blue, Foxwell NT510, Nanocom D2 V8 & TD5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendALC View Post
sweet, i had stumbled across that as well. what i just realized that REALLY stinks is that who decided to stuff that VW pump in there... well they cut off the OE harness plug and spliced on the VW plug. now i'll have to source an LR plug and resplice before I can even hook the correct pump up.
Sounds like you need to hit a scrapyard for that harness. How's the progress coming?

Michael
'01 LR Disco II SE7

R.I.P. - 99 LR Disco Series II

For Used RRC Parts: Paul Grant [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
For Used Disco Parts: Abran Abeyta [
]
For New Parts: British Parts of Utah or Atlantic British [most will price match Lucky8]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
very disco

I actually cut the plug and about 12” of wire off of another disco last weekend, and scored a good air filter cover for it as well. My new rubber mounty things arrived yesterday, and if all goes as planned I’ll be installing an OEM SAI pump with all the OEM fixings this weekend!

A lot of irons in the fire though, as I’m reupholstering the headliner and converting the pillars and roof trim to black... and I was just reminded by a fair amount of water that I still need to reseal the front roof. At least the liner is still out!

On a side note I’m on my way to pick up my set of 5 Range Rover stormers from powdercoat.

Will post pics!

1997 Disco SE - SOLD
2003 Disco 2 SE7 - SOLD
1995 Disco SE - SOLD
2001 Disco 2 SE - SOLD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
very disco

Here it is, RRSSC 20” stormers in medium gray metallic with clear, set of five ready for rubber (-:<
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	968499A6-D052-4C34-AFBC-4B610A41CE68_1561149371680.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	87261  

1997 Disco SE - SOLD
2003 Disco 2 SE7 - SOLD
1995 Disco SE - SOLD
2001 Disco 2 SE - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in