Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Stereo Wiring Diagram

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  masantschi 
#1 ·
***DISCLAIMER***
I am not electrically inclined; however, I have a desire to learn and become such, so take it easy on me.

I am fairly certain I have a grounding issue on my DII Stereo. When I'm driving with the stereo on, I get feedback through all the speakers which gets louder (higher rpms) and softer (after shift/lower rpms). I've pulled my stereo out of the dash and checked the ground on the back, which is tight. I've searched the Rave to try and figure out the grounding points for the stereo/antenna, but I guess I'm just not seeing it because...I can't find it. :(

So my question: Is there a diagram which shows the grounding points for the stereo? ALSO - I'm going to be tearing down the engine soon and would like to make sure I have everything properly grounded when I put it back together so if there is a diagram with the grounding points for the engine, etc. I'll end up needing that too?

With my luck, I'm going down a rabbit hole but I need to start learning this stuff because I have a parasitic drain (which is not constant) I need to find as well.

#2 ·
If you have RAVE it's pretty clear in the circuit diagram where the stereo's ground is (pointed with red) so go into the Electrical library - Connector views, scroll untill 0361, click on it and you'll see the pic of the ground point it's close to the the driver air bag's connector(there are cases like this one when the location is not well described hence i erased it).... that's how you can find any ground or other connections

Example

Attachments

#4 ·
It sounds less like feedback and more like alternator whine, possibly. That would be getting into the system upstream of the amplifiers, or maybe at the amps - somewhere between the head unit and the amps.

#5 ·
You are probably right as that is that whine - but I don't know the first thing about tracing something like that and will have to learn on the fly. I'll let you know. I'm having a issue with my Rave right now but thanks to Fery, I have what I need to start tracing, although, I'm buried working on my E36 right now and can't devote any time to my toy just yet. Soon as I have the E36 out of the garage, I'll tear it down for the rebuild AND start tracing, though I'm dealing with the rising temps here in AZ now as we've just hit the 100's and it isn't even May... *sighs* I was hoping to have another month in the garage but alas. On a side note, when we build our house this year, I already got sign-off from the wife to put climate control in my garage/shop. :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.