Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Strange Days

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Heckler375 
#1 ·
2002 153k, headgasket replaced over 2k miles ago. While driving home from work a couple days ago, driving on highway about 70mph, my rover decided to lose power. It was still running but very little to no response from the gas pedal as well as the check engine, oil pressure and battery lights came on. I pulled over and called a tow truck. Checked under the hood while waiting and had plenty of oil and coolant, no leaks of any type(for once). Battery terminals are clean, serpantine belt in good condition. There were no unusual sounds or smells, nothing burning when this happened either, just loss of power. When the tow truck arrived the driver asked me if i was able to drive it at all to try and get it squared up with the truck, i gave it a shot. To my surprise the truck started up fine, ran fine and there were NO lights. The CEL, Oil pressure light and battery lights were no longer on. I got the tow anyways. I plug in my code reader when i get the truck home and there is nothing in the system, so i drive it again to see if i can repeat the issue. As i return from my test drive the vehicle completely dies in the drive way(thank god). This time the engine cut out but still presented with the same dash lights. Again no stored codes, im still trying to figure out my code reader, hopefully i got some of the live data. Any one have any thoughts on this? Things to check to help diagnose the issue?

#2 ·
If you can start it again check the voltage on the battery at idle cos it seems like alternator failure... if it's good let the scanner connected and watch the voltage when the symptom occurs cos it might be intermittent

#4 ·
finally got around to tinkering with the rover and had the following result

Battery engine off - 12.21 v
engine idle - 14.06 v
rpm 1500 - 14.08 v
idle with lights and radio - 13.96

at this point i was going to test the engine at 1500 rpm with the electrical stuff on but got lots of hesitation engine stopped responding to the gas pedal mil and m and s lights come on, the engine didn't stall out though. No strange sounds smells or anything unusual other than engine response to gas pedal. Code is p0335, looks like ill be switching the cps. How do the voltage numbers read to you guys, seem a bit low. I don't think i have any issues with fuel pressure, vehicle starts up just fine everytime....so far.

#6 ·
Those voltages are OK except the battery which should have at least 12.6V if it's charged

#7 ·
Ok so I replaced the crank position sensor last week and thanks to work was only able to get a test drive it this morn. All the issues I was having seem to have been resolved...fingers still crossed. This was not a difficult job to do, maybe 45 min of time once I figured out which angle to attack from. It is a bit tight but the biggest tip I have is once the bolts for the sensor are out and the sensor is hanging freely, get off the ground go up top and remove the connector from there, needle nose pliers are helpful. Hope this helps others. Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.