Torque Converter Install - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Torque Converter Install

I am trying to install my torque converter and I have some questions. It is seemingly easy to get it on the double splined shaft other than it being heavy, am I missing something about it being hard to do?? I feel it is engaging on the second set of splines too. I spin it to the right and it goes no further. Is there more to it than this like with the inside tangs matching up to the slots on the rear of the torque converter? I'm so anxious to get my engine installed with the nice weather but don't want to be sorry. How can I be sure?
Thanks guys!
-Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:11 PM
certified idiot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Should be 3 sets of locks, the stator, the turbine and the drive dog for the front pump. Its a feel thing - you should feel it lock in 3 times.

the best thing to do for a fitting check is to measure how much gap you have between the converter and the flex plate. As you dont wsnt to re-assemble - measure the amount the flex plate sticks out past the bolts hole face on the engine rear and measure the gap between the bolt pads on the converter and the bolt face of the bell housing. if the difference is not between 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch (or 1 to 3 mm) gap between the bolt pads on the convertor and the flex plate then it isnt seated far enough.
when its all bolted up you should be able to turn the converter and not touch the flex plate.
cheers
Barri

1999 discovery 11, some new cars, 1988 xj40, 1976 deville 8.2l, 1974 450sl, 1969 lotus 7, 1961 austin mini

the best view is always from the point of no return and you only ever have too much fuel when you are on fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

I am going to keep trying then and do the measurements, waiting on new engine mounts in the mail.
One more thing. I wanted to leave the truck in neutral so I can roll it in and out of the garage. Out of habit yesterday I put it in park and it is stuck in park (engine is out of truck). Is there a way to override and put it in neutral now? Tried connecting the battery terminals but no getting it out of P.
Thanks,
-Heather

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Hey Barri, I'm happy to say that I just got the TC in. I see a clear difference now. I put a little more pressure on it while spinning and I felt it link on.

As an fyi for anyone else doing this job...if the TC is moving in the shaft when you lift up on it a little then it is not in. As opposed to it being in the right depth/position when you lift up the entire tranny will move. Something you learn only from doing it. I dare say if you are guessing if its in then it's not in. Thanks again!!

Last edited by prettynpink1029; 04-07-2015 at 10:14 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Congratulations on the torque converter replacement.

JK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in