Traction control not engaging when cross-axled - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Traction control not engaging when cross-axled

On some significant terrain and my traction control didn't seem to engage.
No lights or other indication of a problem. Do occasionally have the 3 amigos.
2004 Disco II with the dif lock in low. Got cross-axled and the TC didn't engage so had wheel spin LF and RR. Seemed to work fine when on 30 deg incline of a stream bed of softball sized rock for a few 100 yards.
I was in 1st or 2nd gear.


'03 stock HSE and '04 modified SE. Suspension lift. ARB front winch bumper. WARN 8000. Safari full roof rack and snorkel. Terra rear bumper with recovery rings. Hella driving lights. Left, right and rear LED flood lights. Using TEKPro3000
massarst is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Senior Member
 
helievacpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by massarst View Post
On some significant terrain and my traction control didn't seem to engage.
No lights or other indication of a problem. Do occasionally have the 3 amigos.
2004 Disco II with the dif lock in low. Got cross-axled and the TC didn't engage so had wheel spin LF and RR. Seemed to work fine when on 30 deg incline of a stream bed of softball sized rock for a few 100 yards.
I was in 1st or 2nd gear.
Have you scanned for codes when you have the 3 amigos?

Oh Crikey! It's the Albanian Rozzers.
helievacpilot is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:09 PM
certified idiot
 
gurunutkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 692
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Remember too that if the center dif is locked when you turn off the engine and you restart it with the center dif locked then it will automatically turn off the traction control.
If you want TC engaged then you have to NOT have the center dif locked when you stop and then restart the engine.
cheers
Barri

1999 discovery 11, some new cars, 1988 xj40, 1976 deville 8.2l, 1974 450sl, 1969 lotus 7, 1961 austin mini

the best view is always from the point of no return and you only ever have too much fuel when you are on fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gurunutkins is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 04:50 AM
Senior Member
 
94svt50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: kentucky
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurunutkins View Post
Remember too that if the center dif is locked when you turn off the engine and you restart it with the center dif locked then it will automatically turn off the traction control.
If you want TC engaged then you have to NOT have the center dif locked when you stop and then restart the engine.
cheers
Barri
This does not apply to 03/04 models. They are programmed not to turn off traction control regardless of the start sequence.

'03 discovery HSE-7
'02 pathfinder
'89 yota 4x4
94svt50 is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:25 AM
certified idiot
 
gurunutkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 692
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94svt50 View Post
This does not apply to 03/04 models. They are programmed not to turn off traction control regardless of the start sequence.
I know that is true for the 03 model that came without the mechanical part of the lockable center dif. If you had a way to disable the TC then it basically became a one wheel drive vehicle.
I was however under the impression that the 04 with the built in lockable dif feature did revert back to the same start up sequence as the earlier disco's.
I could well be wrong on that though I don't own one and the users manual doesn't say.
cheers
Barri

1999 discovery 11, some new cars, 1988 xj40, 1976 deville 8.2l, 1974 450sl, 1969 lotus 7, 1961 austin mini

the best view is always from the point of no return and you only ever have too much fuel when you are on fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gurunutkins is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Senior Member
 
helievacpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurunutkins View Post
I know that is true for the 03 model that came without the mechanical part of the lockable center dif. If you had a way to disable the TC then it basically became a one wheel drive vehicle.
I was however under the impression that the 04 with the built in lockable dif feature did revert back to the same start up sequence as the earlier disco's.
I could well be wrong on that though I don't own one and the users manual doesn't say.
cheers
Barri
The '04 does not require any "sequence" to keep everything working. I'm still leaning towards why he's getting the occasional 3 amigos.

Oh Crikey! It's the Albanian Rozzers.
helievacpilot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABS/HDC(Hill Decent Control)/TC(Traction Control) lights on!! Michael Sparks Discovery Series II 3 12-29-2009 06:53 PM
Traction control? LebaneseShowoff Discovery Series II 11 07-29-2009 12:05 PM
TRACTION control Jupiter Rover Discovery Series II 20 10-15-2006 05:56 PM
Traction Control on D2 imag Discovery Series II 13 12-12-2005 06:15 AM
Traction Control jcobill Defender 1 12-05-2005 06:39 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome