Traction control not engaging when cross-axled - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Traction control not engaging when cross-axled

On some significant terrain and my traction control didn't seem to engage.
No lights or other indication of a problem. Do occasionally have the 3 amigos.
2004 Disco II with the dif lock in low. Got cross-axled and the TC didn't engage so had wheel spin LF and RR. Seemed to work fine when on 30 deg incline of a stream bed of softball sized rock for a few 100 yards.
I was in 1st or 2nd gear.

'03 stock HSE and '04 modified SE. Suspension lift. ARB front winch bumper. WARN 8000. Safari full roof rack and snorkel. Terra rear bumper with recovery rings. Hella driving lights. Left, right and rear LED flood lights. Using TEKPro3000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by massarst View Post
On some significant terrain and my traction control didn't seem to engage.
No lights or other indication of a problem. Do occasionally have the 3 amigos.
2004 Disco II with the dif lock in low. Got cross-axled and the TC didn't engage so had wheel spin LF and RR. Seemed to work fine when on 30 deg incline of a stream bed of softball sized rock for a few 100 yards.
I was in 1st or 2nd gear.
Have you scanned for codes when you have the 3 amigos?

Oh Crikey! It's the Albanian Rozzers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:09 PM
certified idiot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Remember too that if the center dif is locked when you turn off the engine and you restart it with the center dif locked then it will automatically turn off the traction control.
If you want TC engaged then you have to NOT have the center dif locked when you stop and then restart the engine.
cheers
Barri

1999 discovery 11, some new cars, 1988 xj40, 1976 deville 8.2l, 1974 450sl, 1969 lotus 7, 1961 austin mini

the best view is always from the point of no return and you only ever have too much fuel when you are on fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurunutkins View Post
Remember too that if the center dif is locked when you turn off the engine and you restart it with the center dif locked then it will automatically turn off the traction control.
If you want TC engaged then you have to NOT have the center dif locked when you stop and then restart the engine.
cheers
Barri
This does not apply to 03/04 models. They are programmed not to turn off traction control regardless of the start sequence.

'03 discovery HSE-7
'02 pathfinder
'89 yota 4x4
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:25 AM
certified idiot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94svt50 View Post
This does not apply to 03/04 models. They are programmed not to turn off traction control regardless of the start sequence.
I know that is true for the 03 model that came without the mechanical part of the lockable center dif. If you had a way to disable the TC then it basically became a one wheel drive vehicle.
I was however under the impression that the 04 with the built in lockable dif feature did revert back to the same start up sequence as the earlier disco's.
I could well be wrong on that though I don't own one and the users manual doesn't say.
cheers
Barri

1999 discovery 11, some new cars, 1988 xj40, 1976 deville 8.2l, 1974 450sl, 1969 lotus 7, 1961 austin mini

the best view is always from the point of no return and you only ever have too much fuel when you are on fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurunutkins View Post
I know that is true for the 03 model that came without the mechanical part of the lockable center dif. If you had a way to disable the TC then it basically became a one wheel drive vehicle.
I was however under the impression that the 04 with the built in lockable dif feature did revert back to the same start up sequence as the earlier disco's.
I could well be wrong on that though I don't own one and the users manual doesn't say.
cheers
Barri
The '04 does not require any "sequence" to keep everything working. I'm still leaning towards why he's getting the occasional 3 amigos.

Oh Crikey! It's the Albanian Rozzers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in