Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Transmission Question

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  LandyII 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have a 2002 Discovery II with 111,000 miles.

Short history:

Before 6 Months Ago: No idea, Used Car, bought at 100,000 miles.

3 Months Ago: Good ol Jiffy Lube drained the transmission pan and refilled it without cleaning out the filter (pretty sure of that).

3 Weeks Ago: Changed the Oil and Transmission fluid under the assumption that the transmission filter was cleaned by Jiffy Lube.

1 Week Ago: Driving on the freeway at 80 MPH, transmission disengaged, no sound just the engine revving high, towed home.

Today: Drained the ATF again, cleaned the filter which was very clogged and refilled the transmission according to RAVE CD instructions.

ATF Used: Amsoil Universal ATF.

Problem:

Ever since the transmission disengaged the car only has Reverse. It shifts into Reverse and drives like normal; however when we shift into Drive, it doesn't seem to engage. After a few seconds of pushing the accelerator in drive the M/S lights start blinking.

We have tried pulling the battery and driving in Drive in High and Low gear.

We have no idea what's going on, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

See less See more
#4 ·
I wasn't aware that Jiffy Lube would even touch a transmission like ours, since it's a "sealed" unit

Did you get a new gasket on there when you were cleaning the transmission filter?

#8 ·
Just a Thought. but I would go back to J_Lube and start having them pay for your rover to be serviced at the dealer.. I work at a High End Pennzoil, and we had a newbie do a tranny service on a car, well my day off too, miss all the good stuff, but he left a cooler line loose and it cooked the tranny, the customer was on the highway and poof no more tranny.. They paid for a brand new tranny... ..Worth a shot...

#10 · (Edited)
Why thank you, Luv..

Hey I look at it this way... We do high end vehicles merc bmw rovers and all others cars trucks as well, but we Do Not Do pan drops on rovers other than mine off course, and the reason we do not is that it's hard for us to carry the filter kits even though they are avail..
It is also a pain in the arssss to check sealed tranny's.. Most of the time when it is sealed it is for a reason..Dealer warr, and such... So in that if they did it they should pay to fix the mistake thay took by 1. doing the job and messing up a beautiful rigg...

So Zigidias, Try dealing with the manager and tell him and or the owner your Disco had to be towed and is at the dealer to be fixed explain why.. They will prob want to call the dealer to confirm your story, and so you will tell them it will be delivered the next day...

Lastly you can also PM Disco Mike and ask for his advice in the matter if you go the route of fixing yourself...

Hope this helps, and more Q's Just ping me

#11 ·
Exactly what codes did you have and why have you waited 2 months to deal with the faults.
Go have your battery/alternator check sometime in the next 2 months and see if one of them is failing, this will cause the lights to flash and at some point the ECU will not let you shift into drive, just reverse.
Mike
Noticed that post; Going to check the battery/alternator tomorrow.

#14 ·
My crank sensor failed, threw S&M lights, tranny disappeared except 4th, replaced sensor, eveything ok again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.