Unusual overheating issue. - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Unusual overheating issue.

So I bought a 2001 disco 2 from a friend who just had the head gasket replaced. Put about 8k miles on it and then one day on my way home I noticed the temperature gauge spiked up. I shut it down and had it towed home. Engine has just under 100k miles on it so decided to replace the water pump, thermostat, radiator, and fan clutch. Added coolant and burped it. Start it up and connect my obd2 to monitor temp. Temp holds steady around 183-188. Drove it around for about an hour and temp stays good. Then all of a sudden temp starts increasing. Made it home and it got over 220 degrees and I shut it off. Let it cool down overnight and tried it again the next morning. This time the temperature seems to just want to keep climbing. Decided to pull the heads and check the head gasket and sleeves, although no coolant mix in the oil pan and the exhaust test through the overflow passed. The head gasket looked fine and none of the cylinders were "steam cleaned". Spark plugs looked brown like it was running fine. Decided to change the spark plugs, plug wires, and coil pack since I had the heads and intake off. Also replaced the head bolts with arp head studs and the coolant overfill reservoir cap. The sleeves haven't moved at all. Put everything back together and add coolant and burp the system. Start it and let it idle. Temp is showing consistent around 197-203. Let it idle for 30 minutes and temps hold. Drive it around and temp drops to a steady 194. After about 30 minutes driving, temp starts to increase. It gets to 210 and I start heading back home. Temp goes up to 223 and then back to 217. As soon as I pull in the driveway, temp suddenly spikes from 210 to 243. I shut it off and it's been parked since. I did try a week later to fill the coolant system through the purge plug in the upper hose and this netted a constant 194 degrees while driving with sitting at traffic light temps to still increase to around 203. After an hour of driving, I drove it back home and checked and it seems the fluid in the reservoir was almost empty and is being pushed out the overflow hose. Coolant was all the way down the passenger side frame from the coolant overflow hose. Any ideas on what might be going on? Could I still have air in the system somehow? Thanks in advance. Vehicle is a 2001 land rover discovery 2 SD with 4.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:55 AM
Expert Crate Digger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Is the new thermostat 180 degree soft spring thermostat from a Freelander? if not, replace it for the 180 degree t-stat.
Replace the coolant reservoir cap if you haven't already.

MIKE
- 2001 Discovery 2 SE (NAS LHD) “MYRTLE”, 110K miles, 4.0L V8, NGK Iridium IX plugs, PCV mod, 180* T-stat, Hayden fan clutch/Dorman fan, removed TBH, SAI modded K&N filter, Safari Gard steel guards, Warn XD9000i winch, KO2 265/75R16 on steel rims, EBC rotors/Akebono pads, +2” TF lift & LEDs
- UltraGauge Blue, Foxwell NT510, Nanocom D2 V8 & TD5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudadrt View Post
So I bought a 2001 disco 2 from a friend who just had the head gasket replaced. Put about 8k miles on it and then one day on my way home I noticed the temperature gauge spiked up. I shut it down and had it towed home. Engine has just under 100k miles on it so decided to replace the water pump, thermostat, radiator, and fan clutch. Added coolant and burped it. Start it up and connect my obd2 to monitor temp. Temp holds steady around 183-188. Drove it around for about an hour and temp stays good. Then all of a sudden temp starts increasing. Made it home and it got over 220 degrees and I shut it off. Let it cool down overnight and tried it again the next morning. This time the temperature seems to just want to keep climbing. Decided to pull the heads and check the head gasket and sleeves, although no coolant mix in the oil pan and the exhaust test through the overflow passed. The head gasket looked fine and none of the cylinders were "steam cleaned". Spark plugs looked brown like it was running fine. Decided to change the spark plugs, plug wires, and coil pack since I had the heads and intake off. Also replaced the head bolts with arp head studs and the coolant overfill reservoir cap. The sleeves haven't moved at all. Put everything back together and add coolant and burp the system. Start it and let it idle. Temp is showing consistent around 197-203. Let it idle for 30 minutes and temps hold. Drive it around and temp drops to a steady 194. After about 30 minutes driving, temp starts to increase. It gets to 210 and I start heading back home. Temp goes up to 223 and then back to 217. As soon as I pull in the driveway, temp suddenly spikes from 210 to 243. I shut it off and it's been parked since. I did try a week later to fill the coolant system through the purge plug in the upper hose and this netted a constant 194 degrees while driving with sitting at traffic light temps to still increase to around 203. After an hour of driving, I drove it back home and checked and it seems the fluid in the reservoir was almost empty and is being pushed out the overflow hose. Coolant was all the way down the passenger side frame from the coolant overflow hose. Any ideas on what might be going on? Could I still have air in the system somehow? Thanks in advance. Vehicle is a 2001 land rover discovery 2 SD with 4.0.

I am speculating exhaust gases are leaking into your coolant from the block. This means you need a head gasket job .. or a new engine. You need to purchase a block tester kit to find out.

If your temperatures were a consistent 183-188 previously ... and you've made the correct modifications on your cooling system (180 T Stat, green coolant, distilled water mixture, Aluminum radiator etc) I'm not understanding why you'd have a cracked block. Those modifications are supposed to prevent a cracked block. From what I've read on these forums cracked blocks occur solely because of overheating issues ..

1999 LR DII Performance Package with various Mods
Valentine One
Passport 9500ix
6 x Anti-Theft Camera System
2 x Anti-Theft Tracking devices
Veil Laser Paint
Anti-Laser Police Laser Jammer (5 heads + Dragon Eye protection) + Parking Sensors
Police Scanner + Waze
Powerful Pro-tuned CB-Radio with Fire-Stik
Remote+Hardwired License Plate Concealer
Armormax Bullet Proof Glass
Armormax Caltrop Deployment System
Steel Undercarriage Guards (Steering, Diff axles, Gas tank)
Voyager Roof Rack+six Jerrycans and five stacked Rotopax
Maxxis Razr Offroad Tires+Lift+LED bar
Allisport UK Aluminum Radiator
Allisport UK aluminum coolant tank with sight glass and coolant level sensor

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Have you done a block test?

Michael
'01 LR Disco II SE7

R.I.P. - 99 LR Disco Series II

For Used RRC Parts: Paul Grant [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
For Used Disco Parts: Abran Abeyta [
]
For New Parts: British Parts of Utah or Atlantic British [most will price match Lucky8]
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

I did not do a block test but I did do a coolant pressure leak test today. Pressurized the system to 15psi and let it sit for 15-20 minutes with no drop. Decided to leave it connected and pressurized ans start it up and let it run. It idled for 45 minutes without overheating and temps only got to 203. When I gave it a little gas, the temp would drop down to 194. Did notice it was wet around the coolant tank cap when i removed it to do the test. I decided to put the cap back on the reservoir and try it again. After about 5 minutes running, temp is climbing up to 208 and it's leaking from around the reservoir cap and out the drain tube. Got this cap fron autozone so decided to get another one fron O'Reilly's. Did the same thing. I'm thinking I'm losing pressure in the coolant system through the cap which is causing my overheating due to loss of coolant. I've ordered a new cap directly fron land rover and should be here in a couple days. I've also ordered a new reservoir tank just in case this one is possibly bad. I didn't do a block test when I had the heads off as I didn't have what I needed to do the test. If the new cap and reservoir tank don't resolve it, then I'll order the block leak test kit and do that next. I don't think it's a cracked block since I have no coolant in the oil and I'm not burning coolant through the exhaust.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Also I did not use green coolant. I went back with the Dexcool that was in it when I got it. I did pick up some Zerex G05 coolant today though that I'm thinking about changing it for the dexcool since I've been reading horrible reviews on the dexcool.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I'll order the block leak test kit and do that next. I don't think it's a cracked block since I have no coolant in the oil and I'm not burning coolant through the exhaust.
My 99 did not have any coolant in the oil at all and it was not burning coolant through the exhaust, but it was pushing coolant out of the reservoir - after a successful HG job (and as you did, I changed EVERYTHING on the cooling, and went ahead and changed plugs/wires, etc), and kept popping my reservoir cap/s. I had the exact same symptoms as you. I went down to NAPA, bought a block tester and within 5 min, found out I had a cracked block.

Not saying that's what this is, but you sure do have all the symptoms...

Michael
'01 LR Disco II SE7

]
]
For New Parts: British Parts of Utah or Atlantic British [most will price match Lucky8]
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 AM
very disco

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
At this point in the game, cracked blocks are becoming far more common. When I purchased my current D2, it was “needing a head gasket” according to the seller. Knowing what I know, I opted to replace the engine and I’m glad I did, as the block was indeed cracked and the head gasket job would’ve been a monstrous waste of time and money.

Considering the shop bill or the personal time investment involved in checking the block out, it may be worth making a plan B and plan C.

2003 Disco 2 SE7 - going to be buried in it
2006 RR Sport HSE - project
1997 Disco SE - SOLD
2003 Disco 2 SE7 - SOLD
1995 Disco SE - SOLD
2001 Disco 2 SE - SOLD
Foxwell NT510, Nanocom EVO
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'll try the cap and reservoir first and then go from there. If indeed a cracked block, might be worth researching a different V8 swap. 😊😊😊
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendALC View Post
At this point in the game, cracked blocks are becoming far more common. When I purchased my current D2, it was “needing a head gasket” according to the seller. Knowing what I know, I opted to replace the engine and I’m glad I did, as the block was indeed cracked and the head gasket job would’ve been a monstrous waste of time and money.

Considering the shop bill or the personal time investment involved in checking the block out, it may be worth making a plan B and plan C.
I ended up buying a used motor and while it was outside of the truck, I went ahead and did a full overhaul on it before dropping in that truck.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:36 PM
very disco

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
My disco has a ford block instead of the “LR” 4.6 block.

2003 Disco 2 SE7 - going to be buried in it
2006 RR Sport HSE - project
1997 Disco SE - SOLD
2003 Disco 2 SE7 - SOLD
1995 Disco SE - SOLD
2001 Disco 2 SE - SOLD
Foxwell NT510, Nanocom EVO
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:43 AM
Expert Crate Digger

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Also I did not use green coolant. I went back with the Dexcool that was in it when I got it. I did pick up some Zerex G05 coolant today though that I'm thinking about changing it for the dexcool since I've been reading horrible reviews on the dexcool.
I prefer Zerex g05 myself also.
IMHO... get rid of the Dexcool and thoroughly flush it out before adding Zerex G05. Most coolants aren't compatible when mixed with Dexcool. It will sludge up your radiator and coolant system. I saw this plenty of times on Air Force ground support equipment engines.

MIKE
- 2001 Discovery 2 SE (NAS LHD) “MYRTLE”, 110K miles, 4.0L V8, NGK Iridium IX plugs, PCV mod, 180* T-stat, Hayden fan clutch/Dorman fan, removed TBH, SAI modded K&N filter, Safari Gard steel guards, Warn XD9000i winch, KO2 265/75R16 on steel rims, EBC rotors/Akebono pads, +2” TF lift & LEDs
- UltraGauge Blue, Foxwell NT510, Nanocom D2 V8 & TD5

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
I prefer Zerex g05 myself also.
IMHO... get rid of the Dexcool and thoroughly flush it out before adding Zerex G05. Most coolants aren't compatible when mixed with Dexcool. It will sludge up your radiator and coolant system. I saw this plenty of times on Air Force ground support equipment engines.
Cooling down here soon so I can start working on the truck again. I'm planning to flush and convert to Pentax this year.

Michael
'01 LR Disco II SE7

]
]
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

I plan on flushing out the dexcool befor adding thre Zerex. Thank you.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

So just to update anyone still following and those who use search and find this post, I changed the reservoir and cap today and so far so good. Temps are steady at 194/195 while driving and 201/203 when parked and/or idling. I did do a block test and no change in color of the fluid. Drove around about an hour today and no leaks from the cap and normal change in temperature reading. I'll post back in a couple days as I really want to get more drive time on it and see how it does in the long run. I'll continue driving it and report back once more at the end of the week. Thanks to all who commented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in