Which vehicle is better for everyday usability and bi-monthly BSA campouts? 1995 .... - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Henrod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which vehicle is better for everyday usability and bi-monthly BSA campouts? 1995 ....

...RRC VS. 2004 Discovery.

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to figure out which vehicle is better in day-to-day commuting, practicality, space, refinement, maintenance, reliability, and overall value. As far as my commute goes, it's 30 miles to my job, the majority of it being 40-70 MPH highway driving. As far as the camp outs go, I'll be hauling my personal gear in the truck, which consists of backpacks, folding chairs, tents, and the like. If I were bringing troop gear, I would be using a trailer. I have a budget of $0-25,000.

Here are some of the vehicles I've found so far:
1995 RRC LWB:

WLRS, Inc dba AdventureMotorCars.com | Pre-owned Dealer | Birmingham, Alabama

The reason this vehicle's price is a bit steep is because the previous owner had $26,000 worth of mechanical work done to it in the last 400 miles, such as:

Removing and resealing of the engine
Complete overhaul of swivel ball system
Replacing the transfer case with a rebuilt unit
Replacing the radiator
Replacing the steering box
Replacing of the rear muffler and tailpipe
Replacing all four shocks
Replacing all four tires
Replacing climate control panel
Replacing wiper motor
Replacing the fuel tank
Replacing the window lift ECU
Replacing window switch
Misc. Steering / suspension work
Replacing engine oil cooler lines
Replacing water pump
Replacing transmission breather hoses
Changing the transmission fluids
Replacing the plugs and wires
Replacing belts and hoses
Replacing steering damper
Replacing tailgate struts
Performing 75,000 mile service
Repairs to door locks
Replacing battery
and a few other misc. items

2004 Discovery HSE:

The things that attracted me to this one is that it has a little over 100,000 miles, so the big problems like the head gaskets, the U-joints, and the SLS have probably been taken care of, although I'm not sure. Another thing is that it appears to have all the options, such as the third-row seat, rear A/C, and a kinda tacky rear seat video system. And even though it's kinda far away in VA, the scenery driving up there is gorgeous, so it would be worth the time and effort to go get it.

2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE For Sale In Midlothian VA 23114 - Elite Auto Wholesale

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 PM

I'd find out what a reseal means. Lots of stuff done - much it it perfectly normal for a vehicle of some age.

2000 Discovery II @ 111K
265/75/16s, Rear Air Susp. Delete
Looking for a little lift, a front bumper, lockers and a re-gear. Now where'd I put my treasure chest?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:51 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Go with the 04, parts are easier and cheaper to get. Parts are becoming very hard to find for the Classic and although they were a great vehicle the 04 offers so much more for a lot more then the way over priced Classic.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:01 AM

I hate taking my 03 on campouts with the scouts. If I'm heading somewhere on my own back, it is ok, but taking tents and essentials for camping - there is always that fear of some odd landrover quirk leaving me with a dead vehicle and a camping weekend, that suffers.

I also can't open the tailgate more than 14" with my trailer attached (i have fixed jackpost in the A-frame). which annoys the crap out of me so much more than it should.

I also find the trunk JUST the wrong size for efficient packing of stuff like totes, tents, and a few other things as I have seats on each side (although folded up) that are taking valuable space - I can get sooooo more camping stuff in the trunk of my 2004 focus wagon than the disco, and when I'm not towing, I prefered to use the focus over the disco.

I really like jumping in the disco anytime I leave the driveway, but having just bought a short-bed, extended silverado (I dislike chevy's but this was too good of a deal from a neighbor to pass on) I won't be using my D2 for camping anymore.

If you really like the green oval, have you considered an LR3? Aside from the occasional tale of exploding front diffs, these look to be a much better vehicle for camping than a D2 -
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodave View Post
I hate taking my 03 on campouts with the scouts. If I'm heading somewhere on my own back, it is ok, but taking tents and essentials for camping - there is always that fear of some odd landrover quirk leaving me with a dead vehicle and a camping weekend, that suffers.

I also can't open the tailgate more than 14" with my trailer attached (i have fixed jackpost in the A-frame). which annoys the crap out of me so much more than it should.

I also find the trunk JUST the wrong size for efficient packing of stuff like totes, tents, and a few other things as I have seats on each side (although folded up) that are taking valuable space - I can get sooooo more camping stuff in the trunk of my 2004 focus wagon than the disco, and when I'm not towing, I prefered to use the focus over the disco.

I really like jumping in the disco anytime I leave the driveway, but having just bought a short-bed, extended silverado (I dislike chevy's but this was too good of a deal from a neighbor to pass on) I won't be using my D2 for camping anymore.

If you really like the green oval, have you considered an LR3? Aside from the occasional tale of exploding front diffs, these look to be a much better vehicle for camping than a D2 -
having a roof rack and maintaining it on time will solve all your problems

2003 disco. exhaust mod,265/65r18
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 AM

Wow. thanks Genius.
My vehicle happens to be better maintainted than yours. I know this for a fact. Or as much of a fact as you telling me to maintain mine will make it 100% reliable and adding a roofrack will fix all the vehicles storage shortfalls.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Henrod

2003discoII, turbodave, If y'all are going to have an argument, do it via PM or another thread, this is not the place to have a fight. Anyway, about the LR3, for some reason I have never had a strong love of the exterior and interior styling, things like the black plastic fender flares and the cheesy looking interior, I just think it is not as elegant or understated as the DII or RRC. Now I have no such complaints for the LR4, that is a nice vehicle. In fact, I've been considering selling my future DII or RRC when I can afford a used LR4. Yeah, so the DII has some storage flaws, I'll probably only be using 3/4th's of the cargo space on normal camp outs and if I need more room, I can split the rear seat. As far as the RRC goes, Disco Mike did make a good point that parts are getting harder to find, especially when I'll be using this as my daily driver, and I've learned it doesn't get that much range on a tank (not that the DII does either) and also it doesn't have as much cargo room as the DII, even though cargo room is a bit tight on both vehicles. And about the troop gear, I probably won't be hauling a trailer often, as a lot of other people have Tahoes, Expeditions, and pickup trucks which are better suited for trailering gear.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM
disco biscuit

I continue to be amazed with my 04 disco. Despite some of what they said, I'm extremely impressed with the cargo space on the dII. For one thing the roof gives you like a 6ft tall space in the cargo area. I've carried 8ft boards inside it before I bought a silverado and stacked luggage up as tall as I am. Hell I could fit that ford focus in there. It doesnt carry as much as my old chevy trailblazer, but it so much smaller and maneuverable, looking at it from from the outside. I dont think this will be a problem for you.

You mentioned driving it everyday. Once my maintenance issues were sorted out...my dII drives 80 like a luxury car. Its manners on the road are amazing and very very safe. I make my ol lady drive it if its raining. Normal hydroplane situations are non existent. I did buy a newer chevy truck for my daily driver. I didnt want the disco getting used to the road (153k mi too).

I think from the sound of it you would be much happier in the DII. The rrc might make a better dedicated trail rig...but mines a freakin beast off road too, more than any other truck I've owned. Those others had lifts and tires...not exactly a fair fight but the disco still reigns supreme. My profile has few pics in it but notice the disco still has 20in rims and no lift. It still out performs the others. The lift is coming, I'll sell everything else if I gotta.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Henrod

That alpine roof is one of my many favorite features of the DII, I've got to admit. But yeah, I'll probably still be getting a DII, I was also looking at P38's and I came to the same conclusion, too small inside (except for the backseat on the RRC LWB, I mean, good god!), too complex, too expensive to maintain. But I'm not a serious off-roader, I would be only subjected to some trails and maybe a muddy swamp and some steep hills. I don't think I'll be doing many accessories like lift kits, brush guards, things like that, I'm just focused on getting a well sorted, unmolested, damage-free truck that I can put 100-200k on with their unique form of maintenance. But even though the RRC LWB is nearly out of the cards, can someone give me pros and cons based on what I'll be doing with the vehicles in question, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodave View Post
Wow. thanks Genius.
My vehicle happens to be better maintainted than yours. I know this for a fact. Or as much of a fact as you telling me to maintain mine will make it 100% reliable and adding a roofrack will fix all the vehicles storage shortfalls.
nice to see you get pissed off easily,maintaining it will not make it 100% but less the chance greatly of it breaking down. I do maintenance before it is needed or before something is due to be replaced. Mine is the old car i have and hence it's only broken down once even after driving the crap out of it off the asphalt rovers are reliable rigs.

@henrodstone i'm not the one arguing i just made a single comment and am still calm

2003 disco. exhaust mod,265/65r18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in