19" Rims to 18" Rims - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
19" Rims to 18" Rims

New owner here with an '08 HSE with 19" rims, looking to upgrade and upsize my tires. Looks like there are very few choices for an AT tire with 19" rims, looking for any leads on 18" rims or a 19" tire I don't know about. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
New owner here with an '08 HSE with 19" rims, looking to upgrade and upsize my tires. Looks like there are very few choices for an AT tire with 19" rims, looking for any leads on 18" rims or a 19" tire I don't know about. Thanks.
in a nutshell...

1. ditch the 19"s as there are no current good tire options.

2. find a set of 18"s. watch craigslist and ebay like a hawk and you will eventually find a good deal. $400 for a set isn't bad. i did purchase a set of 18" tires/wheels/lugs for $150 a while back which was a steal.

3. if you don't run a suspension lift, the best options are cooper zeon ltz or nitto terra grapplers in 285/60/18. a bit more aggressive/pricey is the BFG TAKO in 265/65/18. most folks seem to be running the zeons. i have them and like them, but would prefer an MT, which isn't really an option. at this size you do need to relocate the suspension wiring in the driver's front wheel (a 5 min job with a few zip ties).

4. if you do run a suspension lift, you can clear a 275/65/18 tire (just barely). most guys doing this are running the GY duratracs in this size and seem to like them a lot. however, if you have a suspension fault and the truck lowers to original access mode height, either on the trail or on the highway, these tires will not clear the wheel wells and you are looking at getting towed.

i am sure you will get some more input from others as well...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
LR3 wheels are the heaviest wheel LR makes.

Quote:
You may wish to click on the link below which takes you to a section of my gallery on disco3 where I have some comments about the 18" x 10 spoke that you want and the 19" x 6 spoke that you have. For me the same thing, found the 18" on eBay with good winter rubber, (not that great a deal at about thousand dollars), but worked for me.

I also have a file in the Miscellaneous section regarding wheel terms such as offset and pitch circle; also comments as to load rating of the wheel and why wheels from a RR Sport and FFRR are really not quite heavy enough. The 3 takes the heaviest wheel Land Rover makes because it is the heaviest vehicle they make. Needless to say, aftermarket is not really an option.

There is also a nice picture of a young lady getting out of an early Series LR.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous

2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I will try the ebay / craiglist thing.

BBYER - if I do find 18" for sale how would I confirm they are from an LR3 and not the lighter RR ones?

Getting ready to order my height sensors...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

One more question, will DII wheels fit a LR3?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 PM

you go mainly by what they look like.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I will try the eBay / craiglist thing.

BBYER - if I do find 18" for sale how would I confirm they are from an LR3 and not the lighter RR ones?

Getting ready to order my height sensors...
On eBay, you go mainly by what the spokes look like. There are always subtle differences between the wheels of different models.

Once you get serious about a set, you then ask the seller what words are moulded into the metal on the inside of the wheel.

If you look on the backside of one of your 19" wheels, you will see Cromodora, the manufacturer in Italy, also Made in Italy, and MAX LOAD 940 kg and 53, the offset, following the rim size, 8J or something.

The 10 spoke x 18" wheel, (jpg below), has the same MAX LOAD 940 kg rating as well as Cromodora of Italy stuff moulded in. Also the part numbers, ALY72190U for the 18" and ALY72191U for the 19" should be there as well as the Land Rover official logo.

The RRS max load is 900 kg and the FFRR is 925 kg; all close and it probably only matters when off roading or if the insurance company is looking for an out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR3 Sparkle Silver 10 spoke Wheel Cromodora of Italy 18 inch x 8  ALY72190U.jpg
Views:	1893
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	28386  

2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 PM

In a word, NO

Quote:
One more question, will DII wheels fit a LR3?
You actually ask a hard question. I really do not know what the load ratings of the DII wheels are, but I expect less, as the DII weighs less. Also without the air suspension, the wheels tend to stay more on the ground whereas the 3 seems to be able to balance on one wheel - seems that way anyway, so the loadings can be significant. As to the important stuff like bolt circle and offset, again I do not know.

The lug nuts I do know are somewhat different. I think the hole size is the same but actual wheel thickness, again I do not know. Generally a DII requires a 27 mm socket, and the 3, a 22 mm socket.

Also unless you have the V6 with smaller OD brake assemblies than the V8 units, about the smallest wheel that will fit a 3 is the 18" rim. In Australia, they have figured out some 17" wheel that they import from the UK and will fit some of the diesel units depending upon engine size - tricky stuff.

Also look under the rear of your 3 and look at the "tie rod" that goes right inside the wheel rim - not much free space there, and when that one bolt breaks and lets go, well the tyre deflates from the hole knocked in the rim interior.

There are very few shortcuts when owning a 3.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Great info, thanks again...

Got to love my wife when we pulled in to pick up our new to us LR3 she said she loved it but it needed bigger tires... didn't think it would be this hard
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 AM

Smaller rims but same OD tyres

I know my views on tyres are very much at cross purposes to most everyone else, but I really think it is a good idea to remain with the factory sized tyres unless one has a real good reason for something different.

I purchased the 18" rims so I could install the 60 taller profile stock sized tyres, (255/60/R18), not so I could get a better selection of 32" tall tyres.

I think unsprung weight matters; that narrower is better, (and it is for snow and ice), and that maximum clearance within the wheel wells is important, (it does in mud and with the frozen material build ups we get here), and that more vertical rubber between the rim and the tread is important. I routinely drive paved potholed roads here that look like a moon scape.

Yes, desert driving is different, so wider and taller can be better and there is never any frozen crud buildup in the wheel wells but ....

Last edited by bbyer; 05-06-2011 at 09:08 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 AM

I just went thru the transition from 19's to 18's on my new-to-me LR3 and settled on the Cooper Zeon LTZs along with the 10-spoke LR3 rims. I suggest staying with LR3 18s as these are the strongest rims LR makes...the RRS rims for instance aren't as strong as the LR3 rims (as stated in a post above). I was able to piece together 5 of the 18" 10 spokes thru ebay and craigslist for under $425 (including shipping for 2 of them):

BEFORE:

AFTER:

[

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

not looking to go to a 32" tire thinking more like a 30"-31" with a more aggressive tread...

perkj - That's the look I'm going for, what size are the Coopers?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 05:53 AM

The cooper LTZ's above (285/60) are probably the most aggressive sidewall that is less than 32". BFG AT's come in 265/65 (31.6) but the sidewall is not that aggressive looking. There are no MT's that are less than 32" for 18" wheels. The smaller you go, the less likely you will find an aggressive tire.

Look for tires in the following sizes: 265/65 = 31.6", 285/60 = 31.5", 255/65 = 31.1", 265/60 = 30.5", 255/60 = 30"
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
not looking to go to a 32" tire thinking more like a 30"-31" with a more aggressive tread...

Perkj - that's the look i'm going for, what size are the coopers?
285/60/18
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
285/60/18
Question: At 285/60/18, have you experienced any rubbing at all? Any time say when LR3 is fully loaded with gear or on/off highway ramps or clearing large rocks?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 PM

wiring harness ripped off is a better way to put it

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1keaddict View Post
Question: At 285/60/18, have you experienced any rubbing at all? Any time say when LR3 is fully loaded with gear or on/off highway ramps or clearing large rocks?
Rubbing is a rather gently way of asking if one has experienced their front wheel sensor harness being ripped off by the tyres.

The short answer for me is yes, and that was with the stock sized tyres. The dealer types replaced a sensor and did not tie the harness back correctly to the frame and pretty soon I was limping, and that was with my OEM wheels and tyres. Correctly can mean putting the cable on top of the frame if one is going to run taller wider rubber. See this link as there is an argument that LR meant to put it on top at the factory. Bigger Tires? Move this Wire! | Land Rover LR3 Tips & Info

When you get near 32" OD tyres, once the air system fails and goes down, the wheels probably will not rotate as they get hung up in the wheel wheels. This is an experience like no 4x4xfar. Will Bigger Tires Rub? | Land Rover LR3 Tips & Info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR3 wheel height sensor front.jpg
Views:	7763
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	28503  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in