192,000 fluid change - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
192,000 fluid change

So, I'm planning on doing a complete fluid drain and refill for my 06 v8. Im planning on doing:
Engine oil: either amsoil signature or Pentosin.
Transmission oil & filter: ZF fluid.
Transfer case: what do you recommend for fluid?
Differentials front and rear both non electrical: amsoil severe gear 75w-90
Possibly do power steering. Coolant is only 10,000 miles old so it's fine. Also, I'll try to post a video but my v8 has a lot if lifter or valve chatter, it sounds like my 03 dodge 1/2 ton hemi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:31 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Could be the timing chains rattling. It’s not as common on the 4.4 but it does happen

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I did t-case, both diffs, and tranny with LR fluids recently. Didn't want to take any chances. I went with castrol GTX 5/30 for the engine. I replaced the original pan and filter with the seperated BMW one from AB. BTW my 4.4 V8 has some valve chatter too at 130k miles, almost sounds like a diesel. I bought some BG 44K fuel cleaner for my next fill up to see if it helps.

My experience changing the drivetrain fluids begs the question... how much fluid?
My rear e-diff drained 1.77 liters, but specs are 1.61 liters. Fluid came pouring out when I removed the Fill plug. (I suppose someone used range Rover Sport specs in the last service?)The fluid was mostly clear amber and there was minimal dust on the magnet, though fluids haven't been serviced in several years, if at all. So, it must have run overfilled for years, with no problems. So are overfill disasters a myth? Also the 1.61 liters I put in did not reach the fill hole. Could I be underfilled now?

The front diff drained .83 liters (some also came out of the fill hole), but calls for .69 liters. The .69 I put in did not reach the fill hole. I wonder if it too was overfilled before or underfilled now?

The Transfer case oil only drained 1.27 liters, specs say 1.5 liters. During the refill, oil began running out of the fill hole at less than 1.5 liters.

LR3 documentation contradicts fill quantity for the differentials, but confirms transfer case is spill and fill...
From Owners Manual:
"The following capacities are approximate and provided as a guide only. All oil levels must be checked using the dipstick or level plugs as applicable". If that's correct, then fill and spill is the proper method.
From Workshop Manual:
Front Diff = "CAUTION: Do not fill the differential with lubricant up to the filler plug. The filler plug is only used to fill the differential with lubricant, not to act as a level indicator."
Rear Diff = "CAUTION: Do not fill the differential with lubricant up to the filler plug. The filler plug is only used to fill the differentail with lubricant, and not to act as a level indicator."
Txfr Case = "Refill transfer case with the recommended fluid, until the fluid is level with bottom of filler/level plug hole"

I guess the only way to know is to tally how many differentials fried after Spill 'n Fill vs specified quantities. If anyone knows of such data please post!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well im just going to use amsoil now since the 4.4l only calls for oil that meets Ford spec, can't remember the exact spec, but amsoil has it. But with the transfer case what brand of oil did you use? Also I know this doesn't relate to this but do you know of any lockers/lsd besides arb, like the Ashcroft atb or truetrac, for lr3s? I would like to have at least limited slip in my differentials especially for the mud and snow we get up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in