Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

2008 LR3 tire replacement Help!

14K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Johnson Rods 
#1 ·
Been reading and reading and reading all the pros and cons on tires for my 2008 LR3 and need up to date info. The crappy goodyears are dead right now and need to replace. Have 255/60R18.

My driving in 98% on-road driving, but want some good off-road capabilities for the annual camping trip.

As of right now, what are the good tires to go for? Don't mind getting bigger size if that will help in selection and/or price. I just want a good sturdy tire, not too loud, and lasts more that 20K miles like the crappy Goodyears.

Thanks!

#2 ·
DISCO 3 tyre change

Hi Rich,

Like you , i have waxed lyrical on tires to change to for some time as Wranglers dont work ( as suits my all round demand down here in Africa ) .
The forums & field observations settled me on the BF Goodridge A/TOK , however cannot get them in LR -OEM size so have just bought 6 ( we need 2 x spares in the bush ) at 265 X65 -18".
Have a look at NextStepDesigns Blog Archive LR3 wheel & tire specifications and options for a good summary of what works for Disco .

Good luck .

#4 ·
I have been looking for 2 weeks and decided on 4 wrangler silent armors. they have a layer of kevlar and are said to be the quietest AT tire you can get that is.... #1 load rated to land rover specs #2 said to be good for when ya do want to jump off road but quiet on road #3 come in 265/65 or 265/70 <i am getting the 70 becuse i lifted my lr3 2.5 inches. there is alot to the tire you get so look into it. you dont want rubing and you dont want the LR3s weight to bust a tire in a corner. you will find alot of people talking about the Wrangler silent armors.

treaddepot.com < they have the 265/65/18 for $189 and the 265/70/18 for $183 walmart will pop them on and balance for $10 each and big o for $18 each. not bad for a $260+ retail tire!

#5 ·
Can't find anyone here in the Carolina's that carries the Silent Armors...I have yet to see anyone talk about Michelins? When I got my DISCO II they came with crappy Goodyears and I replaced them with Michelins and they have been great for over 50K. Are Michelins not up to the task for LR3's? Just a thought..

#6 ·
Have a 2008 LR3 at about 26K miles. Took the first opportunity to replace the GYs as they were awful in the snow and making a lot of noise due to cupping. Went with Pirelli Scorpion ATRs and, only about 100 miles, but love them so far. Quiet and comfortable as can be. It's June so can't speak to snow yet. Nice thing is that they come in the standard size and Consumer Reports rates them as their best ATR.

#7 ·
the silent armors are doing great 98% of my driving is on road but i have taken them off road at black mountan in harlan ky. see pics at Home Page i can say that this is a wonderful tire but if i could i may step back to a 32" tire as aposed to the 32 1/2 becuse of very slight wear to the plastic well. I do have the johnson rods lift kit installed to fit the tires FYI so dont use a 32 if you are not lifted. you can buy the tires online, have them shiped, ballenced, mounted, and installed at walmart for less than they cost retail at big O!!

#9 ·
Johnson Rods? who said Johnson Rods? If a guy can get a 1c Johnson Rods fee every time he mentions Johnson Rods then I'm in.
Because, in Johnson Rods testing, 9 out of 10 Johnson Rods owners said that Johnson Rods are the only Johnson Rods that are fitted to their own vehicle.
In fact, when Johnson rods owners were told that the Johnson Rods installed on their Johnson Rods equipped vehicle's are the same Johnson Rods as other Johnson Rods owners have installed on their Johnson Rods equipped vehicle they were reportedly "not surprised" that their Johnson Rods are the same type of Johnson Rods as the Johnson Rods belonging to the other Johnson Rods owners. Johnson Rods, ask for them by name!..........and the name is Johnson Rods if you did not catch it.

Sorry, a bit of fun, I could not resist. That will probably be the #1 Google hit for anyone typing in "Johnson Rods" now. At last, I will live forever in infamy. Shame it is for somthing so naff!

As for tyres I have the Michelin synchrone 4x4 in the 19" 255/55 that came with the vehicle. I have over 140,00 KM on the truck and so far so good. No unusual wear, no noise at all. Wife drives the Hwy all the time and they are even quite good in the dirt. As you might guess they are not so great in deep mud. The Land Rover is a heavy beast and they fill up fast but they do perform well in snow and ice.

My "Johnson Rods" 2c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.