Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Another Transmission Question...

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Tim_Burgess 
#1 ·
Hi All,

First posting, so please be patient ;-)

I have done a fair amount of searching and reading on here but haven't found a transmission problem described quite the same as mine, so wanted to see what opinions are on the situation I have. Here goes:

Like many others, my 2005 LR3 (V6) developed an intermittent problem where shifting into Drive seemed to leave the transmission in Neutral: lots of revs, no drive or movement. This first happened a couple of weeks ago and started with "dropping out" of Drive briefly on making a left turn or coming to a halt at a stop sign. A few days later it developed so that I couldn't find Drive when starting from cold, but a bit of shifter wiggling would eventually get it in. The shifter also seems very stiff to move back and forth.

Once this start-up problem had arrived, I drove it very little (local store only) except for one trip of 40km there and back. Other than the selection problem, the truck seems to drive normally.

Took it to my local transmission place (not LR dealer) and told them about all the known problems with LR shifts freezing up etc. They had a look and say my Transmission is fried and quote me ~C$8,000 to replace it. They say that they drained about 1 litre of black tranny oil out and that it is fried - not a selection problem, it has a leak which led to low fluid and that means that all the clutches will be ruined.

I'm dubious - I detected no issues other than selection and the occasional drop-out from Drive to Neutral which sounds like the often-discussed shift linkage issue many others have had.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
A second opinion often costs nothing and can save $$$$$$$$. If you picked this shop at random, ask around for a trustworthy shop and go there.

There were some issues with the shifter linkage on the LR3 which might cause the issues you describe.

See this post:

DISCO3.CO.UK

It's a cheap enough attempt before you spend big bucks....

#5 ·
All done. Low fluid was a red herring - it was, as expected, just the linkage seizing up so got that seen to plus a strip down to fix the leaking sleeve.

Including all new fluid, the LR Main Dealer charged me around $600 and thus a second opinion saved me around $7.5k. Not a bad result!!

If it's relevant to anyone, I HIGHLY recommend Land Rover Metro West for top notch customer service and knowing their vehicles' weak spots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.