Electrical System Fault - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK final update. It was indeed the instrument cluster. Still not sure if it was indirectly related to the medium speed bus.

Here is what went down:
1. Auto service installed new instrument cluster and they could not reprogram it. It turns out it had been programmed, sent back to Land Rover and then sent to my mechanic and was locked down. Land Rover ackknowledged this was a problem in an email they showed me.
2. Land Rover sent a new one, they installed it, programmed it and everything has worked fine since.

I ended up spending about 1200.00 total
60.00 for a tow.
300.00 for them to pull the bus and look for bad wiring. This lead to the discovery of the instrument cluster shorting
500.00 for a new instrument cluster.
250 to install the cluster.

Hope this thread helps someone in the future!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That is a new one for me.

I really appreciated your update.

I have never heard of the instrument display affecting the starting, (well lots of problems I have heard of), so your update was much appreciated.

These systems are so interrelated that a problem in one area seems to transfer to what one would think was an entirely unrelated system.

2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 AM
Former LR tech, Albany NY

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdoyle View Post
OK final update. It was indeed the instrument cluster. Still not sure if it was indirectly related to the medium speed bus.

Here is what went down:
1. Auto service installed new instrument cluster and they could not reprogram it. It turns out it had been programmed, sent back to Land Rover and then sent to my mechanic and was locked down. Land Rover ackknowledged this was a problem in an email they showed me.
2. Land Rover sent a new one, they installed it, programmed it and everything has worked fine since.

I ended up spending about 1200.00 total
60.00 for a tow.
300.00 for them to pull the bus and look for bad wiring. This lead to the discovery of the instrument cluster shorting
500.00 for a new instrument cluster.
250 to install the cluster.

Hope this thread helps someone in the future!
Got that couple of weeks ago on a jeep wrangler. The ECU said 4.0 when it was 2.4 4 cylinder. Of course the ecu didnt fix the problem but try explaining that to the guys at the independant shop that knew what they were doing.

I used to work on Rovers. Got a question just ask, need a Rover looked at, Albany, New York.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin4life View Post
Ten bucks says they are wrong. medium speed can bus doesn't cause the vehicle to not start. its the high speed. medium speed controls the non essential stuff.the instrument cluster puts out the medium speed can line only after the high speed can line checks out first.
the ipack is on the HS can...in fact it has the terminating resistor for the HS can incorporated into it...how else would the PCM, TCM, etc. tell the driver (via the cluster) it had a problem if it didnt communicate with those modules as well
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:22 PM

i'm having the same issues... i've been tearing apart the interior looking for bad wires ect... replaced battery, light bulbs, brake switch, check TCM, ect... nothing... found a post about the instrument cluster so tried "gently" hitting the dash and it caused the issues to start and stop. could it be a loose instrument cluster wire or what?
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 01:55 PM

Update: After a few weeks of fighting with the cluster floating in the car (unbolted and dash surround apart), so when an "episode" happened i could move it around to make it normal again... i finally did some further disgnostics... ie. poking and proding... it appears the connector was very loose (probably throwing off some of the pins), so i wedged some cut off zip ties in there as shims and it appears to work fine now! 2 weeks of driving around ok. i guess that was the problem! just a loose connection! hopefully.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:21 PM

Hi can anyone tell me where the parking assit module is located in a 2009 land rover sports
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrovers View Post
Update: After a few weeks of fighting with the cluster floating in the car (unbolted and dash surround apart), so when an "episode" happened i could move it around to make it normal again... i finally did some further disgnostics... ie. poking and proding... it appears the connector was very loose (probably throwing off some of the pins), so i wedged some cut off zip ties in there as shims and it appears to work fine now! 2 weeks of driving around ok. i guess that was the problem! just a loose connection! hopefully.
What about die electric grease?
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 02:57 PM

did you ever fix this issue im having the same problem
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
OK, so I took it to the shop. Evidently is was the instrument cluster, which the medium BUS passes through. everything is fixed but they are saying they have to run some kind of reprogramming step and they have to get the codes from Land Rover. Land Rover America can't help them out so they are waiting on Land Rover UK. I assume it is associated with my VIN or something. Does this sound right?
I have the same problem with my 2007 Range rover Sport (RRS) HSE. The tire pressure lights come and go off, the parking brake light is on, and I get this message "vehicle fault, system shutting down (at times when I drive). I suspected the instrument cluster (IC) was bad (based on my reading) and a RRS dealer told me if that is the problem, a new IC needs to be made in the UK specifically for the car and the mileage. I have question, How did you get an IC and who installed it? The dealer told me that a used part will not work for a RRS. Thanks
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
OK, so I took it to the shop. Evidently is was the instrument cluster, which the medium BUS passes through. everything is fixed but they are saying they have to run some kind of reprogramming step and they have to get the codes from Land Rover. Land Rover America can't help them out so they are waiting on Land Rover UK. I assume it is associated with my VIN or something. Does this sound right?
I have the same problem with my 2007 Range rover Sport (RRS) HSE. The tire pressure lights come and go off, the parking brake light is on, and I get this message "vehicle fault, system shutting down (at times when I drive). I suspected the instrument cluster (IC) was bad (based on my reading) and a RRS dealer told me if that is the problem, a new IC needs to be made in the UK specifically for the car and the mileage. I have question, How did you get an IC and who installed it? The dealer told me that a used part will not work for a RRS. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in