Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Finally Installed a Heated Steering Wheel In My 2008 LR3 HSE!

24K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  tejon 
#1 ·
I finally did it! I successfully modified and installed a heated steering wheel into my 2008 LR3 HSE! This project took several weeks to do in total. Had to wait for several needed parts to arrive from Roverparts (eBay). By no means was this a cheap modification. But it was a lot of fun to do and is so worth it in my opinion.

I love my LR3 and since buying it in 2008, my only gripe about it was that it didn't come with a heated wheel. I always felt that adding a heated wheel would be simple. After all, the 2009 RRS came with it as an option and the wheel is identical to my LR3.

In addition to the heated steering wheel, I found out that I needed several more parts to make the heating wheel function to work such as the switch, clockspring, ECU and wire harnesses and connectors (which came with the ECU and steering wheel).

I also was able to get some instructional feedback from Disco3.co.uk under the LR4, in-car electronics section. I am thankful to several posters on that site who helped guide me throughout this ordeal.

Since I am only allowed 4 pictures to post here, I included a link to my photobucket album where I have more pics of this modification.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

My hands are now TOASTY, TOASTY, TOASTY!

Some pics below:

New clockspring (Note the 12 volt connector for the heated wheel at the 12 o'clock position)

[/IMG]

12 volt source connected into the side port of the new clockspring

[/IMG]

Heated wheel ECU which controls heating for the wheel

[/IMG]

All warm and toasty! NOTE the illuminated "on" indicator on the switch

[/IMG]

Cheers,

Vinny

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice. Man I wish my Rangie had a heated steering wheel. I wonder why more vehicles these days don't offer it as an option. Heck, most cars now can be had with heated glass, heated mirrors, and heated seats. So what's the deal with heated steering wheels? If offered, that would be an option I'd spring for everytime. My hands get cold very easily. Living in the 2nd coldest town in Colorado, a heated steering wheel would be awesome.

Colin

#5 ·
Thats great!that doesnt look like a cheap job at all???out of curiosity?$$$?
up here in the great white north it gets pretty frosty.
cheers
No. Not cheap at all (compared to the $100 option when one customizes an LR4 with a heated wheel).

Just to give you a rough estimate, the clockspring alone was $400. PLUS, you need to buy 2 separate heated wheels (the 2009 RRS heated wheel didn't come with an ECU for the wheel), but the 2010 LR4 wheel did. And each wheel were both over $500 at least.

So yea, it wasn't cheap. But, well worth the mod in my opinion.

Vince

#7 ·
My '07 RR L322 had a heated steering wheel, but it got so hot I never used the heat feature. I hope yours is better.

#8 ·
Hi new here. I know this thread is probably dead. But I'm interested in doing to retro fit for the heated steering wheel.

Some questions:

Why did you need to steerin wheels? And which one did you end up using ? The RRS wheel or the LR4 wheel.

And the clock spring: was it from a RR or LR4? I found a heated one and wanted to know if it would work. It's from a RR.

I can and probably will PM you since this thread is 4 years old now.

Any info will help Thanks.

#10 ·
I wish I had one. Super Awesome! Great job!!!
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.