Ford ranger engine in an LR3? - Page 3 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
July 18

Photos are the new drivers side engine mount (painted black) and the installed oil temperature sensor, the blue stuff is Permatex silicone. Taking grandchildren to the mountains until next Thursday so will not be posting for nearly a week...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_142436[1].jpg
Views:	20
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	87391   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_161417[1].jpg
Views:	19
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	87393  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:17 AM

Thursday checked out the flex plate spacer and the LR3 one appears to have some fine cracks? or lines in it, will micrometer the Ford one this Monday and if they are the same will use it, the oil filter aluminum mount from the LR3 will have to be used on the Ford and the passenger side engine mount will have to be modified slightly for the Ford block casting. The oil dipstick and lower oil pan from the LR3 will have to be used on the Ford, and if you couldn't or wouldn't be able to drill and tap a hole in the aluminum engine girdle (upper oil pan) for the 4L3A-12A648-AB engine oil temperature sensor then you would have to change that as well. Ordered a Ford WPT-1231 (3U2Z-14S411-DVAB) pigtail repair assembly from the Ford dealer to replace the destroyed one for the engine oil temperature sensor and that's about it for now. will post some more pictures next week, just figuring out exactly how to reattach the flex plate so the commutator ring (for the CKP crankshaft position sensor) is in the correct position, not planning on removing this engine again soon...

The engine oil temperature sensor seems to be M19x1.5 but the only tap and die set we had that big was a 3/4" NPT fine so that's what we used, along with the blue Permatex sealant...
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:16 AM
disco biscuit

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Great read and thread topic. I'm trying to research using the Ford 5.0 coyote motor if I need to replace the 5.0 jag in my 2012 supercharged. The retrofit, cheap bastards like me need more info like this floating around.

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco biscuit View Post
Great read and thread topic. I'm trying to research using the Ford 5.0 coyote motor if I need to replace the 5.0 jag in my 2012 supercharged. The retrofit, cheap bastards like me need more info like this floating around.
Kind of a crazy thing to do, I helped with several Volvo V8 conversions about 20 years ago using the fuel injected Ford 5.0L and Ford T5 tranny, lots of fun, and good luck to you! In this case (LR3 to Ranger V6) the block on the LR3 is tapped a bit differently, it would drop right into a Ford, but the Ford needs engine mount modifications/adapters to drop into the LR3. Any way, getting set to torque everything down and going to attempt to install on Wednesday, WPT-1231 Ford oil temp sensor pigtail kit fit and is perfect, figured out how to check number 1 cylinder TDC compression stroke for the flex plate install which is required for proper CKP crankshaft position sensor operation, there is only one keyway in this engine and that is on the front of the crankshaft, everything else is torqued into position, so instant destruction if anything is mis-timed. Testing fuel injectors and doing some soldering and shrink wrapping tomorrow, hopefully engine install is Wednesday. The photos are of the rough engine mount with left bank? knock sensor, and the LR3 oil filter mount and engine mount on the Ranger engine. Some modification of the engine mount is required...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190729_144643[1].jpg
Views:	11
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	87499   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190729_145558[1].jpg
Views:	14
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	87501  

Last edited by enb54; 07-29-2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Must have been too tired lotsa mistakes
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:57 PM

Well today we buttoned up the Ranger engine with LR3 outside parts and opened up the LR3 engine. We got a surprise! WE were bemoaning the fact that it looked like we could have repaired it from the front with the engine in, but we see now that although the front cassette had broken, it was the rear cassette that had really done its bit, the exhaust valves were all bent on the passenger side head and had obviously hit the pistons pretty hard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190730_140858[1].jpg
Views:	16
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	87503  
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:22 PM
disco biscuit

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That big of a job would've been rough with it still in. Definitely not a wasted effort. I lucky my pistons weren't damaged on the d2 when I worked on it
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco biscuit View Post
That big of a job would've been rough with it still in. Definitely not a wasted effort. I lucky my pistons weren't damaged on the d2 when I worked on it
Actually would have been impossible, we would have fixed the front cassette only to find that the rear needed fixing, which you cannot do without pulling the engine, so a lot of time wasted when the engine should just have been pulled in the first place. You were definitely lucky, this engine was a bear to pull, lots of unexpected hard to get to bolts and one forgotten electrical connector. Heading out to my friend's shop for the trial install right now...
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:04 PM

Mr. Ranger met Mr. LR3 today and the meeting was pretty amicable considering the custom motor mount on the drivers side and the 3/16" shorter thickness of the driver side engine/transmission alignment pin casting, causing us to grind about 1/8" off the attaching bolt. Good thing we had short tempers and had to take a coffee break earlier because the other side alignment pin had stuck in the transmission and was needing a friendly whack to get it on track again. Will post photos tomorrow...
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:17 PM

Sorry all, only took 1 photo and posted on another site but not here. Got the torque converter, transmission mount bolts, starter motor and engine mounts all sorted out, now just getting the Moroso accumulator (pre-oiler) pieces arranged, photo of Mr. Ranger sitting in Mr. LR3's engine bay, we'll resume next Monday or Tuesday...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00458.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	87505  
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enb54 View Post
Sorry all, only took 1 photo and posted on another site but not here. Got the torque converter, transmission mount bolts, starter motor and engine mounts all sorted out, now just getting the Moroso accumulator (pre-oiler) pieces arranged, photo of Mr. Ranger sitting in Mr. LR3's engine bay, we'll resume next Monday or Tuesday...

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing this work out!
Dave

The City is a Jungle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD7 White 150K miles 'The Beach Boy' (PR truck)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'Fancy Professor' (my wife's LA LR3)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'The Rhino'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(my NYC LR3)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255/55/19

Past Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD Niagara Grey 'Old Rhino' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic Green 'The Turtle' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1988 Range Rover Classic White 'The Rust Bucket' (Sold)
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went through this exact process and have detailed notes and pictures if you need them

Ben

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the pat on the back, we are the few who dare....
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboldtiii View Post
I went through this exact process and have detailed notes and pictures if you need them

Ben

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Hi Ben, we were unable to determine the precise size of the engine oil temperature sensor threads, is it M19 x 1.5 or do you know? Thanks in advance, Eric...
post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ohh I didnít take the measurements.

Sorry on that one. I believe the head is a 21mm.

Check rockauto and see if sensors are compatible with same part number as lr3

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:32 PM

Ben... thanks and hi back...
Rockauto seem to have M19x1.5, guess we'll have to order a sensor and see what size the threads in the girdle are, we only tapped for 3/4 NPT Fine and used a die like that to resize the original, but would like the correct size for the proposed LR3 block rebuild (supercharger version)...
Eric...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in