LR3 - Replacing the suspension compressor - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How To: LR3 - Replacing the suspension compressor

Since I didn't find this information on the site, I decided to join and create a how to replace the suspension compressor thread. I hope this helps you all if needed in the future. I purchased my vehicle brand new on December 2005, when they first became available. I have not had any problems with it until now, off course, the warranty has expired

After a few days without a soft suspension on the LR3, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new compressor and install it myself. Total cost $530 (OEM compressor) and about 1.5 hours of my time.

Land Rover wanted $900 (retail) for the compressor and about 2 hours of labor @ $125 an hour + diagnostics, tax, shop supplies, etc..etc....... Bottom line, the job would have cost me about $1300 - $1400.

Tools needed:

Part # LR015303

Here is how it’s done.

The compressor is located in front of the rear drivers side tire next to the outer portion of the frame.

The first thing to do is to disconnect the battery, so that all electronic components don't kick in do to the auto leveling system.

Next, you will need to remove 3 screws that hold the compressor and remove the 3 air lines that are connected to the compressor. You will also need to remove two plugs that power up the compressor and transmit the signal to the computer.

*** The trick to removing the air lines is to hold the base plate flushed against the compressor while you pull on the air line.

Once that portion has been done, you will need to remove the 3 bolts that hold the compressor in place (2 on the bottom and one on top).

Now you can remove the old compressor and install the new one in the reversed order.

New compressor installed.

No errors on the dash....

Note the icon showing the suspension at full height

I hope this helps.....

Last edited by Pacifier; 11-02-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Better title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 PM

I'm super stoked that you made this write up. Thanks for you valuable contribution! So you didn't need to have the fault cleared? Did you have a dash indicated fault to begin with?
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
I'm super stoked that you made this write up. Thanks for you valuable contribution! So you didn't need to have the fault cleared? Did you have a dash indicated fault to begin with?
There was no need to get the fault cleared.
Yes, I had a suspension fault error on my dash prior to this fix.

If you have any other questions peratining to this fix, please feel free to PM or post here.

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:42 PM

thank you for sharing your knowledge. Now, a question that is compressor related.

Does anyone know if one can get a larger ompressor to serve the suspension system, but also is able to be used to inflate tires? I am curious because o\f the desire to drive on beaches, which requires deflating tires to improve traction, and don't want to drive on underinflated tires on highway to get to a gas station (which i did when I rented 4WD to hit the beach).

I assume asking the stock compressor to iflate tires is asking too much, correct?

Does anyone have any suggestions, aside from getting a cheap 12V compressor to carry in this situations on how to have built in capacity to inflate tires?

Thanks!
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I would recommend purchasing a powertank and keeping it in your vehicle. I keep this in my buggy 24 / 7. I personally like it because there is no electricity needed and itís portable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3inRVA View Post
thank you for sharing your knowledge. Now, a question that is compressor related.

Does anyone know if one can get a larger ompressor to serve the suspension system, but also is able to be used to inflate tires? I am curious because o\f the desire to drive on beaches, which requires deflating tires to improve traction, and don't want to drive on underinflated tires on highway to get to a gas station (which i did when I rented 4WD to hit the beach).

I assume asking the stock compressor to iflate tires is asking too much, correct?

Does anyone have any suggestions, aside from getting a cheap 12V compressor to carry in this situations on how to have built in capacity to inflate tires?

Thanks!
post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 03:13 PM

thanks!
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 06:28 AM

great work...thanks
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Thanks so much for this, Im going to attempt it soon.
Can you tell me how the air lines attach? I had the cover off the other day, but couldnt work out how they secure and remain air tight.
Cheers
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 AM

I'm replacing mine as soon as the replacement I bought on Ebay shows up. I am starting to blow compressor fuses so it looks like my current one is done. I will try rebuilding it to use as a spare.
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 03:26 PM

Good job Pacifier!

I have some questions about the diagnostic of compressor fault.

1. How you concluded that it was actually the compressor and not a leak somewhere else or clogging of inlet filter or dryer or a valve?;

2. I know that the vast majority of issues is really the compressor fault (a fault in compressor internal valve in early models), but you followed a checklist of single thing before?;

3. The new compressor comes with the dryer?;

4. The symptoms suddenly appeared or not?

Thank you in advance. I have at this moment a amber light, a fault code C1A20 "pressure increases too slowly while filling reservoir". Exactly as described in LR Bulletim at http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/alb...suspension.pdf

The symptom in my Disco appeared suddenly.

Regards.

Carlos Senna
Disco 3 TDV6
post #11 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 07:00 AM

Replaced the compressor last night. It was -15 outside but I was able to keep partially warm in the garage at a toasty 5 degrees C. The job went ok:

disconnect battery: easy
remove lower comp. cover: easy
disconnect air lines/e power: easy
remove three hex bolts (1 under and 2 above): not much tool room, swearing

I had trouble at this point removing the actual compressor. My upper shield seemed to be in the way. I couldn't seem to get the damn shield out of the way. The write up doesn't seem to deal with the shield issue. How to remove?

Again installing the hardest part was getting clearence due to the upper shield. Outside of this PIA the job went well. The slush and dried road salt didn't make for a pleasant environment.

The compressor was replaced because the odd intermittant fault had escalated to blowing 60amp compressor fuses. The compressor I replaced lookks to be either a used and/or rebuilt. This would suggest that at 125k kms my LR3 is now on it's third compressor....
post #12 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disko3 View Post
I had the cover off the other day, but couldnt work out how they secure and remain air tight.
Cheers
It's sort of spring loaded and pressure sealed. Basically, when you pull on the line, the spring gets tighter and you wont be able to remove the line. The way to remove the line is to hold the retainer fitting flushed against the pump and pull the the line.
post #13 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

I have some questions about the diagnostic of compressor fault.

1. How you concluded that it was actually the compressor and not a leak somewhere else or clogging of inlet filter or dryer or a valve?;

It actually started out as a leak and I just ignored the problem, thus resulting on a burned compressor from being over worked.

2. I know that the vast majority of issues is really the compressor fault (a fault in compressor internal valve in early models), but you followed a checklist of single thing before?;

I knew it was the compressor because I lost all the air on my air shocks and the compressor just stopped working completely.

3. The new compressor comes with the dryer?;

Everything that I needed was included with the compressor I ordered (OEM).

4. The symptoms suddenly appeared or not?

Yes! I got faulty errors a few times before and just restarted my vehicle. I did this for about two months before the compressor finally burned out.

I hope this answers your questions.
post #14 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 02:43 PM

Pacifier,

Thank you so much for answers.

I ordered one OEM compressor and now await your arrival. Me and my amber light...

For statistics my Disco 3 is a S TDV6 2006MY with 66Kkm on clock.

Carlos Senna
Disco 3 TDV6
post #15 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:40 AM

Compressor replacement has solved my yellow light error messages. I also noticed that the vehicle farts more after shutdown. With brand new compressors available on Ebay for around $500 I wouldn't mess around trying to fix parts on the old one. The process is really not that hard. If I had to do it again (in another 60k kms?) it would likely only take 30 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in