LR3 - Replacing the suspension compressor - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pacifier,
Great contribution, thank you. I am about to become a Discovery owner after giving up on BMW's rear traction here in Scotland, useless!!.
I keep hearing reliability issues on the Discoveries so what better way to get to know more from the experts:
- What should I watch for when looking at used Discos? I am looking at a 2008-2009 model, probably around 30,000 miles on the clock
- What is the FBH? All the units come with this device?
- Do all the Discoveries come with air suspension?, therefore the need to deal with air compressors, etc?

This is for now.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:21 AM

Pacifier, great info. Mt '05 LR3 comp just starting to go out. dealer wants 1,100 U.S. so I have 2 questions.

1) Dealer said after install suspension needs calibrating. Is this true? If so, how did you do yours?

2)Where did you get your new OEM compressor from?

Thanks a ton. Can't wait to get started...
post #18 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 03:01 AM

[QUOTE=Pacifier;370011]I have some questions about the diagnostic of compressor fault.

1. How you concluded that it was actually the compressor and not a leak somewhere else or clogging of inlet filter or dryer or a valve?;

It actually started out as a leak and I just ignored the problem, thus resulting on a burned compressor from being over worked.

Good job, it's nice and clear. But one question, where is the leak at the first place, if you just replace a new compressor without fixing the leaking area, will the new compressor over worked and burned out again, just like the old one did? Thank you.

post #19 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg05lr3 View Post
Pacifier, great info. Mt '05 LR3 comp just starting to go out. dealer wants 1,100 U.S. so I have 2 questions.

1) Dealer said after install suspension needs calibrating. Is this true? If so, how did you do yours?

Thanks a ton. Can't wait to get started...
1) I didn't calibrate mine. It was fine afterwards. Me thinks that is a wallet draining scam.

2) Ebay. OEM compressor, new for about $500 US. Local dealer here in Alberta, Canada was selling refurbished units for $900. I replaced a refurbished unit so I don't trust them . My preference would be new.
post #20 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg05lr3 View Post
No, it is not necessary recalibrate suspension.

Suspension should be recalibrated ONLY when a sensor height or the suspension ECU is removed.

Carlos Senna
Disco 3 TDV6
post #21 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Former LR tech, Albany NY

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow, great listening to someone that obviously doesn't read land rover technical website. cause they are a great many bulletins that specify how to diagnose air suspension and parts are separate. you don't need a new compressor. you can get an air dryer and other stuff needed. the trick is to get the codes read and then by reading the bulletin you can find out what part you need.

oh and a vehicle dropping doesn't necessarily mean its a compressor or even a bag. it can be a valve as well. trick is to know how the system and to diagnose it correctly.

but I am sure the six hundred bucks spent on a used compressor off of ebay makes you feel better when you have even learned anything about your vehicle or got it diagnosed correctly.

oh and while the vehicle is under warrantee, we are not allowed to replace the compressor unless we go about and do about fifteen diagnostic steps and parts along with it.

I used to work on Rovers. Got a question just ask, need a Rover looked at, Albany, New York.
post #22 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin4life View Post
wow, great listening to someone that obviously doesn't read land rover technical website. cause they are a great many bulletins that specify how to diagnose air suspension and parts are separate. you don't need a new compressor. you can get an air dryer and other stuff needed. the trick is to get the codes read and then by reading the bulletin you can find out what part you need.

oh and a vehicle dropping doesn't necessarily mean its a compressor or even a bag. it can be a valve as well. trick is to know how the system and to diagnose it correctly.

but I am sure the six hundred bucks spent on a used compressor off of ebay makes you feel better when you have even learned anything about your vehicle or got it diagnosed correctly.

oh and while the vehicle is under warrantee, we are not allowed to replace the compressor unless we go about and do about fifteen diagnostic steps and parts along with it.
So please give me your opinion on these rovin4life:

Like Pacfier(and many others)I have no warranty.

post #23 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 AM

i was told my compressor was leaking air and will go out soon. i dont see a fault code on the diagnosis sheet that cost $125 U.S.
post #24 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin4life View Post

-I diagnosed with a faultmate.
-Dryer on my old one was fine.
-Havn't had an issue since I replaced.

It is unfortunate that my local dealer is a thief. They wanted nearly $1500 for a repair that a average vehicle owner could do in their own garage with no special tools in about an hour. Even their refurbished compressor price was nearly double than what I could pick up a brand new OEM one for.
post #25 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:16 AM

when diagnoising the eas compressor fault, here are some hints, if the compressor is noisy or blowing the main fuse there is a good chance you need a compressor, if not i recommend getting the codes pulled because the compressor may just need a dryer and valve kit, also when replacing or repairing the compressor always replace the controling relay as this fails and keeps the compressor running, one more point, the eas software has a update which i recommend you get updated even before your compressor fails
David
Bear Valley Service
post #26 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:40 AM

Pacifier,

Looking at your pics how did you get the upper shield out? This was the biggest problem I had during the replacement.

Thanks.
post #27 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 PM
'97 D1 SE, '05 LR3

How did you manage the decompression of the system. There's no mention of that. Or repressurize? I'll be doing mine soon. Thx
post #28 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakjar View Post
How did you manage the decompression of the system. There's no mention of that. Or repressurize? I'll be doing mine soon. Thx
I just pulled the air lines. Small puff but no big deal. The compressor filled the tank once it was all installed.
post #29 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 PM
'97 D1 SE, '05 LR3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm_525 View Post
I just pulled the air lines. Small puff but no big deal. The compressor filled the tank once it was all installed.
Interesting. Thank you. Wonder why the manual says to use t4 ( a programmer?)
post #30 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 AM

My buddy, a Land Rover tech, did the install for me over the weekend. I was going to do it on my own and found this DIY, but when a dealer trained tech offers to do it for you, you don't mind!

But one thing I noted (I work on my other cars quite a bit) - instead of removing the compressor from its mounting bracket (by undoing the bolts with an allen key), remove the entire assembly from the car. There are three bolts that hold the bracket in place, two on the bottom, one up top that is hidden from view. The photo in the thread with the compressor removed shows the bolts I mean. If you use a 1/4" extension with a universal joint, you can get in there to undo the top one. Beats trying to get an allen key into position with the risk of rounding if the bolt is rusty.

Then you can just swap the compressors onto the bracket on the workbench. With the bracket removed, you can also see that the holes for the bottom two bolts are circular, but the upper one is elongated - aids in re-installation as then you don't have to be spot on with the top bolt. Suggestion is to loosely install the two bottom bolts, and then you should be able to get at the top one.

My buddy advised that the trick to doing this method is to leave the upper plastic cover in place, or to reinstall it first.

My symptoms, confirmed with the diagnostic computer my friend had, was that the compressor was quite noisy, and of course the suspension fault warning light came on with 'normal mode only' flashing on the screen.

With the new compressor in place, everything was good to go again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in