Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

need HELP!!! Multiple faults-wont stay running

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SafariDave 
#1 ·
I have 2005 Land Rover LR3 4 Li V8, had it for about a year now but have only been able to drive it for about the first four months. It was running fine one day and then the next day I get in and the engine cranks starts, but then immediately shuts off. The same time this happened I got the following faults on the dash.

HDC Fault
Transmission Fault
Parking brake fault
Special programs unavailable
amber brake light is on
the suspension is all the way lowered and it won't air back up, if and when I get the LR3 started the compressor will come on for about 30 seconds then shut off without raising the suspension.

I have an inexpensive OBDII reader that is programmed for a land rover and I am getting the following codes
U2023- transmission receiving a fault from an external node
U0102- Lost comms with transfer case control module
U0416- Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics module
B1D12- Volumetric alarm
U0421,U0402,U0100,U0401
and one that says the MAF is reading wrong.

I am able to clear the faults but as soon as I get it running all the same codes come back.

I have changed the battery, the brake switch, checked the brake lights all work fine, checked the wires under the carpet on both sides (seem fine), pulled the Transfer case control mod- it had some corrosion and a pin had broken off, I have addressed the corrosion and the broken pin. I HAVE NOT changed the MAF yet, however I did get a cleaning spray and used that with little success.

I am thinking about getting a Gap Tool BT reader, with the assumption that I can update and flash all the control modules and maybe get a more detailed description of the faults.

PLEASE ANYONE give me some advise or a way to move forward,
THOUGHTS on the GAP Tool BT and what I plan on using it for.

See less See more
#2 ·
IDK but would says it's a computer problem.

#3 ·
it seems that often times a rapid onset of numerous computer errors is related to:

low voltage at battery (check when powered off, check when running at idle if possible). easy to replace
check brake lamps and brake pedal switch

if you decide to replace the battery, that's a GREAT time to pull the plugs and inspect the TCCM, it lives right behind the battery. it's kind of a chore to get to, but inspect the connectors for corrosion. also not uncommon for water ingress to foul that up. if you see corrosion, the ECU right behind it should also be checked.

i just bought an 06RRS which was sitting on stops, and randomly (not every time) was throwing all sorts of errors including HDC, EPB, ABS, ATC... and many similar codes.

i bought the nanocom EVO and have been happy with it

next, check for corrosion under the FL and FR kick panels and door sills.

i ended up replacing my ATC module (which is actually attached to the ATC buttons on the console, they are all one unit). it turns out it was a scrap yard part to begin with, and looks to have had a latte unloaded into it.

the EAS (air) system is funky and appears to deactivate itself when the ATC and VDC aren't working properly. which color is your suspension warning light, orange or red? does the message center give you any info about the air suspension, and do you have the 4x4 display?

#4 ·
Low or dead battery. (check if alternator is charging the battery)
Brake Switch.
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.