Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Rear Tailgate

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Claus 
#1 ·
Hi I dont know if anyone has come across this but the top half of the tailgate works but sounds like it's on reduced power and the bottom half of the tailgate has no power at all any ideas I think it might be the cable that runs from the boot to the chasing but wanted to get someone's take on it first before I commit to it .

#3 ·
First thing I would check is wiring in the conduit near the hinges

#5 ·
Been there on the lower tailgate. Can’t speak to the upper. In my case, found that the hot wire from the fuse panel was broken somewhere in the passenger compartment. Had to cut the wire to find where it was still hot and “jump” the break by splicing in a new wire. Was not an easy fix, but very satisfying when solved. Funny thing is I have a similar problem on my Outback. Wire broke and hatch lock is inoperable. Cheap wires.

#9 ·
You most likely have found the issue and fixed it by now(?). I am willing to put $$ on that your problem was the Actuator motor housed in the . lower hatch wall that was "limp" and no longer had the abiliity to pull the cable enough to open?. I had the exact same issue and did a ton of surfing on the interwebs looking at YouTube video's on how to take the rear panel apart without leaving it looking like a bear had at it. I procrastinated attempting to take the rear panel off to get access to things for nearly 4 months forcing my kids to load their gear (horse saddles, Hockey bags) in the back via the side door. 3 weeks ago I armed myself with a number of tools, a 6 pack of Heineken and jumped in. It took me about an hour and a half to pry, pull and wedge before I had it apart. As suspected the actuator was kaput. In order to open the rear, while I waited for the replacement part to arrive, I Macgyvered a solution I was rather proud of: a 6ft paracord rope attached to the wire right before actuator extending to the front console with a pull handle I borrowed from my chainsaw pull started. Worked like a charm. I installed the replacement actuator 2 days ago summoning the family to experience the great reveal, Just like Clark Griswold when he plugged his Xmas light into the power socket. I swear I saw tears of joy.....

So much cash invested in repairs that there is no turning back. I have gotten used to the thought of what I am actually doing is building a new LR3 slowly by replacing parts at a steady pace when they crap out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.