Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

SYA kit with Coil Overs anyone?

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  wol_rus 
#1 ·
First off, forgive me if this has been discussed earlier but I did not find anything on it. Considering I am new to the forum accept my apologies. I am not new to Rovers and besides having owned plenty of LR3/Sport and HSE models I am very well versed with these vehicles since the first one I purchased back in 2007. This particular one is a forever car with me since it grew up with my kids doing deserts, beaches, mountains and every path of water we could find. It has 175K on it now and I converted it to coils two years ago when I got stranded 13000 feet up a mountain in Colorado. Long story short, I know the advantages of each system and on this one I chose this direction. It has the 2.5 inch OME heavy duty setup since it has ARB up front and Kaymar on the rear. With the weight and time (sagging) my 2.5 inch lift amounted to 1.75 and thus decided to add Toddco spacers. That was a big mistake since there was no provision in geometry to get any caster out of an alignment and thus switched to the SYA kit, with straps etc. Although the kit is a true 2 inch "spacer" when installed the net result is much greater then 2 inches. For example, the Toddco 2 inch spacers added almost 5 inches in additional lift when coupled with the coilovers. Thus it leads to my question:

Does anyone have any experience with the SYA kit when fitted with coilovers and not air springs?
If so, what are the characteristics like on the highway?
How much did it actually lift yours net overall?

Many thanks in advance
Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
I have it sitting on the workbench and it's on my to do list for my 06 Coil converted truck.

#3 ·
Mine is done. Spent 4 hours on the alignment machine trying to dial it in. Everything went to spec except maxed out on caster and running 1 degree negative off spec. The Toddco spacers could not come close with over 3.5 degrees variance from spec., hence my removal of them and then switching to SYA. I love the stance and it handles rough road dips and bumps more like a baja truck with much more suspension travel and rebound while the truck sits steady. The one degree and center of gravity being raised has made it drive very archaic compared to the stock configuration. On the highway it is more like a lifted jeep then a steady Rover. Was wondering if it was specific to mine or it is a commonality with this much lift and alteration of caster. Hope to hear your results. Many thanks for the response.

#4 ·
I hope to get it done in the next couple months but we will see how it goes.

#5 ·
Old thread, though curious if there's any update on the setup or if you've been able to dial it in any better.

I've recently installed the coils and so far unhappy with the way it sits and drives (albeit I still need an alignment). I'm planning to install the SYA spacers this weekend due to the back end sag, but I fear that doesn't solve the underlying issue of overloading the springs. Worth a shot to prevent the rubbing over bumps in the short term though.

Anyways, just seeing if anyone has figured this setup out.