Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Transmission Fault Only

35K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  pkomorowski 
#1 ·
This is my first post to the forum. I recently purchased a 2007 LR3 with 115k miles. The truck has a "Transmission Fault" on the message screen. There are no other faults and the truck runs and drive well. I recently changed the diff fluids and transfer case fluid. I doubt the previous owner ever changed the transmission fluid. Tomorrow I plan to reset the codes (connecting the positive to negative wires).

Has anyone experienced this? Should I take it to the dealer?
Thanks

#2 ·
A lot of systems can "report up" through the transmission. My suggestion is to purchase an IIDTool from GAP Diagnostics. That can read faults at a more detailed level and help you pin-point problems. In the meantime, your action (called a "hard reset") is a good idea.

#4 ·
No the brake switch issue drives other symptoms. A diff will report up through the transmission so maybe it's related to the fluid change...maybe it sensed it low until it sloshed around or something?

...but the brake switch causes the following:

Suspension fault, dumps you to Access Height
Terrain Response: special programs not available
HDC Fault

...and then you can cycle the power on the engine and they will go away. Some time later after that (usually 5 to 10 minutes) they return.

#5 ·
So i received my IDD tool. I got the iCarsoft. I ran the diagnostics and received several codes (presumably old). but the one causing the "transmission fault" is code P081C "park input circuit" in the auto gearbox category.

I also noticed the on the gear shifter console, the "D" is always illuminated irrespective of where they shifter is located. Is it possibly a bad gear shifter console? I also tried to turn on the headlights before starting the truck but that didnt work. The "transmission fault" appeared once put in drive.

#6 ·
Wanted to post an update. I replaced the transmission shifter tonight and the P0821C code is gone. There must have been a liquid spill that fried the shifter. Hope this feedback helps the forum. Now i need to tackle suspension fixes and special programs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.