Discovery II 18" tires or 16" wheels and tires - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Discovery II 18" tires or 16" wheels and tires

Hey Guys,

So I've been searching and reading for about 2 weeks now, trying to choose a suspension/tire setup. I currently have stock 18" wheels. 2000 Discovery II bone stock. I'm definetely getting a lift kit, not sure what to get yet. 2" or 3"? Suggestions welcome. Figured I need to decide wheels/tires first.

Should I...

(A) Stay with the 18" wheels, and still go for a larger tire TBD. 265/75/18?

(B) Buy 16" wheels and get 265/75/16. If so, what width wheel? I want black. Any suggestions?

I've had my eye on Goodyear Duratrac. Read decent things about them Seems they will handle themselves off road well. This will be a daily driver. Already know I'm lifting it. Will do bumper mod if I need to. if I need to. What all do I need to trim?

Also installing new pads and rotors at the same time, might as well do longer stainless lines.

I'm really looking for the answer to be, "this is what you should buy for your disco..."

Sorry I'm such a noob!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 05:45 AM
'04 Discovery 2

If you are going to off road it, then it is worth downsizing to a 16" rim. Also, the R16 tire choices will be less expensive with more choice. I chose to find a set of D2 16" rims from a disco being parted out on craigslist. I have the OME setup with 751's up front and 781's in the rear which gained me 2.5" all around--Also did extended steel braided brake lines. I am not sure if I needed the extra length, but the original rubber ones were probably getting pretty fatiqued after 8 years, and why not get more length for the same price while doing it. I put on 265 75 R16 Dick Cepek Mud terrains. Typically these are expensive tires, although I got a good quote off Discount Tire Direct ($206) then asked the local Town Fair Tire to match it and they beat it by 5%. Plus mounting and all that. This was worth it as they offer free rotations and roadside hazard etc. . . whether that includes a slashed sidewall from a rock is yet to be seen. But I will try if it happens. Tires are aggressive and eat up dirt, sand, mud, rock--and not bad on the
road at all. PM me with any questions about my setup and I'll be happy to share my experience. My album has some pics of how it turned out.

[/SIGPIC]2004 D2 79K, Mikes High Mileage service done at 75K. SS brake extended lines, OME Lift 751F and 781 R. NitroCharger Sports with Damper, TW HD Driveshaft, Rock Sliders, Terrafirma Diff Guards F and R, LP8500 Superwinch, Dick Cepek Mud Country 265 75 R16 Tires. Hella 700FF lights, ARB Bumper. HG's and oil pump housing at 78K--POR15 Frame Treatment, 180 degree Diesel Freelander Thermostat Swap with Traditional coolant, UltraGuage.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:04 AM

I chose both. I have a set of 18" wheels with 155/55/18" m+S tyres for road use and a set of 16" wheels with 235/85/16" MT tyres for off road use.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to continue this conversation. I'm been getting killed at work. But, I can ask this quick questions. What type of life can you expect to see out of MT verses AT?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Depends on what MT and AT we are talking about, how much stuff you haul in the Rover, if the vehicle is in good condition, what surface you drive on etc. etc. etc.

But generally speaking, a average AT will outlast a MT by about half again.

"Your only supposed to blow the BLOODY DOORS OFF" Charlie Croaker. The Italian Job. 1969.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matt.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 11:54 AM

I am selling my matte black 16's wrapped in 265/75/16 BFG KM2 Mud-Terrains. They are almost like brand new! I would be willing to take your hurricane's and you pay the difference. Where are you located? Here are some pics...

Sergio S.
1. 2008 Range Rover Supercharged Westminster
2. 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanzio View Post
I am selling my matte black 16's wrapped in 265/75/16 BFG KM2 Mud-Terrains. They are almost like brand new! I would be willing to take your hurricane's and you pay the difference. Where are you located? Here are some pics...

I am located in Lebanon, PA.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 PM

What kind of wheels do you have again? Are you interested in the wheels I have? Let me know thanks.

Sergio S.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

I have 18" hurricanes. Do you have 4 or 5? What would thendifference be?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 12:22 PM

I have 5. The spare rim is not powder coated but has a brand new BFG KM2 tire on it. Do you have 4 or 5 hurricanes? I would only want the rims and not tires. What condition are the rims in? I would take your rims plus $800 not including shipping. The tires are almost brand new and are not cheap...look them up and you will see. But I love the BFG's they are very quiet for being a mud terrain tire and last a long time...(40,000+ miles). Also, powder coating the wheels the proper way so you don't have any issues is not cheap as well. I paid $400 for the powder coating alone. The tires retail for $230 each + mounting/balancing and tax. There is no one out there right now selling this particular set-up I have looked! lol I spend way too much time on these forums. Let me know...thanks.

here is the spare...

Sergio S.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the the wheels. Nice tires, but I'm going to pass on the offer. I have 5 hurricanes that will be up for sale once I get my 16" wheels and tires. I am looking for black steel, and most likely looking at the Goodyear Duratrac 265/75/16. Anyone have any thoughts on this setup?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeard View Post
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the the wheels. Nice tires, but I'm going to pass on the offer. I have 5 hurricanes that will be up for sale once I get my 16" wheels and tires. I am looking for black steel, and most likely looking at the Goodyear Duratrac 265/75/16. Anyone have any thoughts on this setup?
No worries. Originally I wanted steelies (modulars) but just FYI they are quite heavy...around 15kg per wheel not including tires. Going to be quite a bit more rotating mass with steelies. Definitely look great though!

Sergio S.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 PM

I know a bunch of people with the GY Wrangler Duratracs and they all like them. The only thing to watch out for is the sidewall - they seem to be lower ply than some of the other options out there (2 ply I think?), but traction is great. I have it on my 3rd (restoration project) Rover in 215/85R16 and I like them, though. Just remember that the pressure in them should be on the higher side as they're commercial rated.

'10 RR SC
'95 RRC LWB
'91 RRC Hunter
'81 RRC 2-door
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post
I know a bunch of people with the GY Wrangler Duratracs and they all like them. The only thing to watch out for is the sidewall - they seem to be lower ply than some of the other options out there (2 ply I think?), but traction is great. I have it on my 3rd (restoration project) Rover in 215/85R16 and I like them, though. Just remember that the pressure in them should be on the higher side as they're commercial rated.
From what I can tell, at least in the size I'm looking at, they sell two different load ratings. C and E. I'm wondering if the people who complain about the sidewalls went the cheaper route and bout the C rating. Just a guess.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 PM

Garage
mcanzio, are you still interested in a set of 18's? I PM'd you.

2004 DII SE
Still building...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in