snow tires Vs mud tires - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
snow tires Vs mud tires

I apologize up front if this was covered somewhere else already.

Most of my driving experience has been with street vehicles with street tires. Now I have had a '96 land Rover Discovery for about a month now and have decided the well worn stock Michelin 235 70 16 aren't going to cut it this winter when I go snowboarding in the high country. I bought the land rover because my 2wd nissan frontier with all terran tires was an adventure in the snow.

IT is my everyday vehicle, so the majority of my driving is on the street, but I see plenty of snow and would like to play in the dirt on occasion.

I was wondering if anyone thinks there is such a big difference between off road and snow tires? I was thinking that they should work simularly. But I got to looking at the "mud tires" and "snow tires." And go figure the guys selling them seem to think that you should have dedicated winter tires.

Also, is it just me or does it feel like you're going to flip if you take any corner faster than 30 mph in a land Rover? Is there something wrong with mine? It wouldn't suprise me if it needs new springs/shocks.

Any advice is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
It may need new springs and shocks but you still need to remember it is a suv and by their nature they are not meant to fly around corners.

As for the tire question there is a big difference between snow tires and mud tires. If your looking for a good all around tire i.e. good in the snow and off road pick up a set of AT(all terrain) like bfg at's or some by nitto toyo cooper etc...

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:30 AM
pgf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I went through this some months ago with my D2, and in the end took the advice of my tire guy and went for Michelin LTX A2's. They are rated as all terrain, dont look all terrain (more hwy) but grip the black top wonderfully, and off road far exceeded my expectations in deep mud, slippery clay hills and ice and snow. They really chuck it out... I Am Very Pleased.

PGF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in