Addition to 'Vehicle Fires'
Please copy/ paste or add this safety information.
Fires involving plastic and synthetic rubber compounds found in vehicles as door seals, wire covers, mouldings and hoses, produces a dangerous acid when combusted or charred.
Excerpt from vehicle recovery guide-
If vehicles or equipment have to be inspected or worked on after they have been exposed to very high temperatures, look closely to see if any gaskets or seals have started to decompose. They will appear charred or as a black sticky mess. If that is the case, do not under any cirumstances touch it with bare skin. If possible, find out what material the gaskets etc. are made of. If working on suspect materials it is strongly recommended that the operative should wear suitable protective clothing, especially safety goggles and stong impervious glove made of neoprene or PVC, which should be burnt immediately are use. As a prior precaution the suspected components and the area around should be well flushed with 'Limewater' (calcium hydroxide solution) before starting work.
Hydrofluoric acid is extremely corrosive and is almost impossible to remove once it has contaminated the skin. However Calcium Gluconate is the most effective treatment for hydrofluric acid burns. It is available as a gel, injecting solution and as eye-drops. Its efficiency as a treatment depends on the speed with which it is administered. After a good flushing with water, the gel should be well massaged into the effected area. Burns with dilute acid may not be painful immediately, but nevertheless, treatment should be given straight away, and medical attention should be obtained immediately.
This is known to be a poison in general, but migrates through the skin to dissolve bone usually needing amputation as a treatment.
Please be aware of possible dangers and wear gloves as above.