Brake dust baked on- PLEASE HELP - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Brake dust baked on- PLEASE HELP

I have an 03 Disco S with the 16" spoke wheels. Previous owner never did anything but put gas in the effin thing. I am trying to get this caked on brake dust off. I am close to going with sandblasting and re-powdercoating wheels. Any suggestion would be a huge help. I took them to detail shop, they tried the acid treatment but it didnt touch it. I havent scrubbed on them yet, but I dont think I can do much other than add elbow grease that detailer didnt.

03 Disco S, 71k. Done- rear dif, front driveshaft, 2" OME lift and shocks, Kumho MT KL71, every stinking gasket on the engine and oil pump, wires, plugs, t-stat. Locking TC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Go to your local part store, show them what you have and they can tell you what to use.
When they are all bright and shiney, wax them so the brake dust won't stick, OH and get rid of those cheap brake pads that leave all that dust.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Super Trooper

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Go to Wal-Mart and pick up some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Use a terry cloth applicator (think wash rag) and a bit of passion. Using a clear coat safe compound to remove stubborn brake dust is an old pro detailer trick.

Severe brake dust actually etches into the clear coat on the wheels. This is why using a compound usually removes it when a spray on wheel cleaner doesn't. Post up some before and after pictures of the wheels.

And Mike is right. While it is a pain, waxing your wheels will help with brake dust removal. If you keep up with the vehicle, only car wash soap and water should be all that is needed to keep the wheels clean. If you wax the wheels and use a wheel cleaner, you'll strip the wax instantly.

Colin

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I will pot up some picks. When I have a chance. This stuff is about 1/32" thick. I have had brake dust on other cars, some with cast aluminum rims. As you said some elbow grease and cleaner does just fine. I am going to try soaking these and then try chipping or flaking it off before I can go to a polish.
This pic doesnt show how bad it is. I have it soaking in a couple of diferent cleaners now. hopefully one of them works.

03 Disco S, 71k. Done- rear dif, front driveshaft, 2" OME lift and shocks, Kumho MT KL71, every stinking gasket on the engine and oil pump, wires, plugs, t-stat. Locking TC.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:25 PM

That's nasty. If it were me, and you like the look of those wheels, I would just get them blasted/powdercoated and start fresh.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Only one wheel was this bad. I am guessing the caliper was sticking before brake job. I managed to get the crud off with 2 hours of scraping and scrubing. A few minor scratches in the coating. but not bad.
I have considered powder coating them BR Green or Epsom Green to match the Disco. My powder coater wants $85 a wheel and doesnt strip to bare aluminum, just removes the clear. So, they will work for now.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Super Trooper

Garage
Got any 'after' pics? Meguiar's Wheel Brightener off their pro line would have taken care of that. Glad to hear you got it all off. Sorry to hear, though, you damaged the wheel in the process.

Colin
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 03:42 AM

Let me tell you the number one wheel cleaner is:SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect - 500 ml | Detailed Image Below is a pic of how well it works.

The ultimate wheel cleaner? Sonax Wheel Cleaner - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

I have a 2011 Subaru WRX/STi and the brake dust is 10fold that of my new disco2. The pads that the STi's come with make alot of dust. This wheel cleaner sprays on green and when it reacts with the iron in the brake dust it turns bright red and drips off. I promise you wont find a better cleaner. It is expensive but worth it IMHO

~Chris
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Super Trooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by obababoy View Post
Let me tell you the number one wheel cleaner is:SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect - 500 ml | Detailed Image Below is a pic of how well it works.

The ultimate wheel cleaner? Sonax Wheel Cleaner - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

I have a 2011 Subaru WRX/STi and the brake dust is 10fold that of my new disco2. The pads that the STi's come with make alot of dust. This wheel cleaner sprays on green and when it reacts with the iron in the brake dust it turns bright red and drips off. I promise you wont find a better cleaner. It is expensive but worth it IMHO

~Chris
The brake dust on your Subie wasn't bad, and it wasn't baked on. That's the problem the OP had. Years of brake dust that has actually etched into the clear coat. You could drive your WRX for a year without cleaning and it wouldn't be like the OP's wheels.

Are your wheels clear coated? If so, you'd love Meguiar's Wheel Brightener off their Detailer line (pro line of chemicals). A gallon will set you back $18 and it is suppose to be diluted 4:1. So you'll end up with 5 gallons of wheel cleaner for $18. I run a detail business and have never found a better wheel cleaner, nor a cheaper one.

Color changing chemicals seems to be all the rage these days (think IronX). Other than the cool factor, they don't do anything any other 'regular' chemical doesn't.

But, as Mike Phillips of Meguiar's fame says, find something you like and use it often.

Colin
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 PM

fyi just for future reference. When i purchased a preowned rr sport it had really bad caked on brake dust. I researched online hearing about all kinds of wheel acids and even oven cleaner! (wouldnt recommend lol). I found the quickest way to remove this brake dust was to wet sand the rim with a very fine grit sand paper which took it right off! if you are inexperienced stay away from wheel acids!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 06:52 AM

I've had really good results from Sonax Wheel Cleaner.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner

Hamal T.

1994 Range Rover County LWB - Sold for Parts

1999 Disco II, 98k, Stock
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6E - Summer ride to work.
1994 Ford Taurus SHO - Modded Q Ship.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM

Try ironX. Also use poorboy's wheel sealant.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-...Fe5lOgodOB8AQQ

http://www.autogeek.net/pbws.html

IronX is great at getting off caked on break dust.

If you do order from autogeek. Use FREESHIP to get free shipping.

99 DII - base (doesn't run)
00 DII - Winter pkg, ACE, SLS, 7 seater, sunroofs.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Iron X would surely remove those brake dust another is Chemical guys Diablo wheel cleaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > The Car Wash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in