Brake dust on stock rims...Grrrrr - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Exploring suburbia for over a decade.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brake dust on stock rims...Grrrrr

I have tried the stuff you buy at the car parts place that says "wheel cleaner" and it says it will clean brake dust...but...it seems to just thin it out so it runs everywhere and it leaves a film behind....Any better ideas for cleaning brake dust (thick) off stock rims??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM

i like to use meguiar's hot rim mag and aluminum polish (or the one for chrome), a lot of elbow grease if you do it by hand or you can get the foam polisher that you can attach to a drill.

Meguiar's Direct Hot Rims® Mag & Aluminum Polish

1995 Land Rover Discovery
2002 Honda S2000
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow2Bfurious View Post
i like to use meguiar's hot rim mag and aluminum polish (or the one for chrome), a lot of elbow grease if you do it by hand or you can get the foam polisher that you can attach to a drill.

Yes! Power tools vs elbow grease for sure! Have you ever seen anyone use those brake dust eliminators they look like disc's you put in between the tire and hub? Seems like it would trap the heat..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow2Bfurious View Post

Yes! Power tools vs elbow grease for sure! Have you ever seen anyone use those brake dust eliminators they look like disc's you put in between the tire and hub? Seems like it would trap the heat..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 AM

once you get them clean again (brake cleaner is an option, but be careful, and quick about rinsing it off when you're done. Pro's use diluted acid) You might want to get a bit of nonsense called "rim wax" (The name, I know). It comes in a small jar, around 20usd since I last checked, and smells like bubble gum (don't eat it, I know you'll want to, but don't, lots of warnings on the jar not to eat it)

It lasts around 3-6 months (I use in in conjunction with a synthetic wax and get about a year out of an application) Initially your wheels will really pop, but that's not why I recommend this stuff. Rather it's the future clean ups. Brake dust will not adhere as well, and quick wipe with a rag will clean up the wheels to as good as new.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Clean your wheels , remove all the film then apply 2 coats of a good paste wax. With a very smooth surface from the waxing, dust won't stick anywhere near as bad.
I only have to wash my wheels once in awhile and the dust comes right off.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 AM
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.

all good ideas however......step up to decent pads and you will no longer have any dust issues. Ceramic pads are the only way to go mate. cheap pads=brake dust.

98' Disco 4.0
89' RRC 3.9
82' 109 2.5
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 AM
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDream2 View Post
That is exactly the advice that gives LRO a bad name!! where do you think all that extra brake dust goes if not getting vented through the wheels that are specificly designed to do just that??? I hope you arnt suggesting he use those dust protective plates are you???? Because if you are it's bad advice. Thought Disco Mike would have cought that.

98' Disco 4.0
89' RRC 3.9
82' 109 2.5
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:03 AM

^ True, and the fact that DD2 responded to her husbands(Milehigh) thread.

2004 Disco SE7 - Totalled
2002 330 ci
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I did miss that, and yes, I agree, those dust shields cause pads and rotors to overheat and don't really work on any vehicle.
As for the ceramic pads, I agree and will be switching to them this spring now that my Kevlar pads are about gone.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 PM
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRover View Post
^ True, and the fact that DD2 responded to her husbands(Milehigh) thread.
DUDE I TOTALY MISSED THAT!!

DD2....WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH ON THIS FORUM BY RESPONDING TO YOUR OWN HUSBANDS THREADS???? POST COUNT? SCAM??

Seriously...seems like we havn't gone only a week or two and the same old BS she is allowed to post continues. why does this have to end up being so mis-leading??
not to change the topic but jesus man.......

98' Disco 4.0
89' RRC 3.9
82' 109 2.5
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Yessssssssssir! And don't feel bad for jacking this thread because of the weird shananigans that has taken place above.

2004 Disco SE7 - Totalled
2002 330 ci
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Reptile Expert

definitely wax your rims once you get them super clean, it helps big time to easily remove the dust/mud/dirt off the rim down the road.

dust shields are a joke. lol
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 PM

You can use a regular wax, but wheels can get much hotter than the surface paint, and carnuba wax will break down infinitely faster than a synthetic, esp at high temps. You can use some Klasse Aio, but I really recommend rim wax.

RIM WAX - RIM AND WHEEL WAX AND PROTECTANT

Although I did a quick search and people are saying good things about DP wheel glaze.

DP Wheel Glaze cleans and protects all types of wheels! Durable wheel polymer wax coating protects wheels from brake dust adhesion and corrosion.

Also, I'd try and stay clear of cheap low dust pads. Generally, low dust means harder pads, means you'll be going through rotors just as quick.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 PM
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemynamedamit View Post
You can use a regular wax, but wheels can get much hotter than the surface paint, and carnuba wax will break down infinitely faster than a synthetic, esp at high temps. You can use some Klasse Aio, but I really recommend rim wax.

RIM WAX - RIM AND WHEEL WAX AND PROTECTANT

Although I did a quick search and people are saying good things about DP wheel glaze.

DP Wheel Glaze cleans and protects all types of wheels! Durable wheel polymer wax coating protects wheels from brake dust adhesion and corrosion.

Also, I'd try and stay clear of cheap low dust pads. Generally, low dust means harder pads, means you'll be going through rotors just as quick.

Wow...the info gets better. Your trying to say ceramic pads..the harder ones as you put it...are the cheaper pads? OK...why? Also...ceramic disperses heat rather than just get hot and shred? The only way you would go through rotors is if you warp them from excessive braking and even then if they are thick enough then you may turn them....so how are ceramic cheap? So you think that softer ,quicker fading and non heat detering pads that absorb heat and can severely damage the pistons in your calipers..the most exspensive of your brake components...are better?? Dude rotors are not very exspensive. you can very easily replace older factory rotors at the same time you replace your pads and service your calipers. Rotor damage is a cheap replacement or repair. Ceramic pads last longer and far superior to the organic centric style your talking about. by your reasoning alone Porsche knows nothing about brakes because they use ceramic? Same with GM truck pads...thats why they average out replacement at the 60k service for normal wear? Your right....ceramic pads are no good.................................

98' Disco 4.0
89' RRC 3.9
82' 109 2.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > The Car Wash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in