Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Brake dust on stock rims...Grrrrr

17K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Disco Mike 
#1 ·
I have tried the stuff you buy at the car parts place that says "wheel cleaner" and it says it will clean brake dust...but...it seems to just thin it out so it runs everywhere and it leaves a film behind....Any better ideas for cleaning brake dust (thick) off stock rims??

#5 ·
once you get them clean again (brake cleaner is an option, but be careful, and quick about rinsing it off when you're done. Pro's use diluted acid) You might want to get a bit of nonsense called "rim wax" (The name, I know). It comes in a small jar, around 20usd since I last checked, and smells like bubble gum (don't eat it, I know you'll want to, but don't, lots of warnings on the jar not to eat it)

It lasts around 3-6 months (I use in in conjunction with a synthetic wax and get about a year out of an application) Initially your wheels will really pop, but that's not why I recommend this stuff. Rather it's the future clean ups. Brake dust will not adhere as well, and quick wipe with a rag will clean up the wheels to as good as new.

#6 ·
Clean your wheels , remove all the film then apply 2 coats of a good paste wax. With a very smooth surface from the waxing, dust won't stick anywhere near as bad.
I only have to wash my wheels once in awhile and the dust comes right off.

#11 ·
DUDE I TOTALY MISSED THAT!!

DD2....WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH ON THIS FORUM BY RESPONDING TO YOUR OWN HUSBANDS THREADS???? POST COUNT? SCAM??

Seriously...seems like we havn't gone only a week or two and the same old BS she is allowed to post continues. why does this have to end up being so mis-leading??
not to change the topic but jesus man.......:complain:

#10 ·
I did miss that, and yes, I agree, those dust shields cause pads and rotors to overheat and don't really work on any vehicle.
As for the ceramic pads, I agree and will be switching to them this spring now that my Kevlar pads are about gone.

#14 ·
You can use a regular wax, but wheels can get much hotter than the surface paint, and carnuba wax will break down infinitely faster than a synthetic, esp at high temps. You can use some Klasse Aio, but I really recommend rim wax.

RIM WAX - RIM AND WHEEL WAX AND PROTECTANT

Although I did a quick search and people are saying good things about DP wheel glaze.

DP Wheel Glaze cleans and protects all types of wheels! Durable wheel polymer wax coating protects wheels from brake dust adhesion and corrosion.

Also, I'd try and stay clear of cheap low dust pads. Generally, low dust means harder pads, means you'll be going through rotors just as quick.

#15 ·
Wow...the info gets better.:rolleyes: Your trying to say ceramic pads..the harder ones as you put it...are the cheaper pads? OK...why? Also...ceramic disperses heat rather than just get hot and shred? The only way you would go through rotors is if you warp them from excessive braking and even then if they are thick enough then you may turn them....so how are ceramic cheap? So you think that softer ,quicker fading and non heat detering pads that absorb heat and can severely damage the pistons in your calipers..the most exspensive of your brake components...are better??:dunno: Dude rotors are not very exspensive. you can very easily replace older factory rotors at the same time you replace your pads and service your calipers. Rotor damage is a cheap replacement or repair. Ceramic pads last longer and far superior to the organic centric style your talking about. by your reasoning alone Porsche knows nothing about brakes because they use ceramic? Same with GM truck pads...thats why they average out replacement at the 60k service for normal wear? Your right....ceramic pads are no good.................................:confused

#18 ·
So where can I get a set of these magic ceramic pads I keep hearing everyone talk about for my '03 D2? The pads (Ferodo) I have now aren't half bad, but I'm open to trying new things once these wear out.

#19 ·
Go to Autopartswarehouse.com where they sell Akebono ceramic brake pads. You might also go to Akebono.com and read up on there product. I have run these on my 99 D2 with DBA rotors and have never had a squeak or any dust and they stop much quicker then my old Kevlar pads.
The front number is an AKEU 676, if you need the rears also let me know and I'll get it for you, don't remember the number off hand just that they cost me about $55 for the rears and $81 for the fronts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.