Deep Cleaning Your Undercarriage - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRitzcracker View Post
How do you guys clean muddy door jams?

I guess I could try to hose them and put towels inside the car.

I've cleaned this car for 3 days straight and I still see mud.

Mostly by the front bumper and the runningboards/rock sliders.
open the door, spray it off, close the door. no need for pussy towels, you just need good aim. i use a pressure washer for this, and never get water inside. and if you do get water inside, use a shop vac to clean it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

OMFG!
After washing my car everyday for a week now.
Mud still is dripping off my front bumper!!!
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRitzcracker View Post
OMFG!
After washing my car everyday for a week now.
Mud still is dripping off my front bumper!!!
that sucks. it should be dripping from the whole Rover.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Normally I would agree!

But I'm tired of mud and the corrosion that it has caused.
I would like my car clean.

Also I identified the orange pipes as the exhaust system.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:08 AM

My last trip I got a good bit of muddy water splashed up into the engine bay. There is not a lot of caked on stuff, but more that will probably rince off. Any suggestions on products and method?

Jeff Hibdon

88 RRC 40th Anniversary Edition
02 DII Kalahari - SMASHED!
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Go Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari View Post
My last trip I got a good bit of muddy water splashed up into the engine bay. There is not a lot of caked on stuff, but more that will probably rince off. Any suggestions on products and method?
I'll sell you my D2- Mud doesn't stick to oil

D2 with stuff added and some removed
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 AM

So if mine leaked more I'd be in great shape!

Jeff Hibdon

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Reptile Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari View Post
after a nearly disasterous mudding trip my motor looked like this....

do NOT pressure wash your motor, you're asking for trouble. all the mud caked on quick so I bought a extended air blow gun (WITH VACUUM LINE) from northern tool. similar to this but with a vac line attachment

bought some simple green from target and went to work. I first sprayed the whole engine bay with air blowing out loose chunks of mud at this stage I also used a shop vac which sucked up the chunks that got stuck in places like the top of my intake manifold.

I then took a small bottle of water poured a slight bit of simple green in and mixed with with water. Placed the vacuum line of the blow gun into the water and began spraying the engine bay with a fine mist of water/degreaser. I took special precaution around all wiring harnesses and fuses. I then took the vacuum line out of the bottle and proceeded to blow off the now loosened chunks of mud with the air gun.

If nothing else works use a wheel brush with soft bristles to flake off some dried mud. repeat the process as many times as needed then do a final cleaning with a damp rag, meguiars quik detailer, and a dry rag to finish up...and then your engine bay will return to looking like this:

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 PM

Heron, love your DII. White is my favorite by far. But then I have a white suburban, pepper white and black Mini S, and a white RRC.....But I'm trying to figure out how to swap out my 07 Suburban for a black 06 LR3 G3 replica.

Great job cleaning up. I think I might could manage that. I remember the days with engine brite, a couple of plastic bags over the dizzy, and a garden hose back in the day. Didn't think that really sounded like a great idea with the Rover.

Jeff Hibdon

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Reptile Expert

oh FYI, that was 30 minutes in the mud hole and over 9 hours cleaning haahaha
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
To correct a post, if you oqn a D2, you can power scrub it twice a day and never have a problem, it is the D1's that can't handle the water, primarily because of the ECU location.
I have power washed my engine and under carriage, after nearly every run, for the past 6 plus years with no issues.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full manifold.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	20872  

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 06:17 AM
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmonkey View Post
I'll sell you my D2- Mud doesn't stick to oil
LOL!

Stolenheron
The pic with the mud wiped off the logo is AWESOME! Do you mind if I use it on my website? It really says it all.

RealRitzCracker
You need to get with the Zen of your Land Rover. Stop fighting it. It will corrode. It will be muddy. It will require new parts, lots of new parts. Use it. Enjoy it. Enjoy working on it. Mud + Rovers = Fun. Or so I'm told. I'm not a big fan of mud.

Zen emphasizes experiential Prajñā—particularly as realized in the form of meditation known as zazen—in the attainment of awakening, often simply called the path of enlightenment. As such, it de-emphasizes both theoretical knowledge and the study of <strike>religious texts</strike> Land Rovers manuals in favor of direct, experiential realization through <strike>meditation and dharma practice</strike> driving and playing with your Land Rover.

1993 Range Rover LWB
2003 Discovery (R.I.P. wrecked)
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Reptile Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieRover View Post
LOL!

Stolenheron
The pic with the mud wiped off the logo is AWESOME! Do you mind if I use it on my website? It really says it all.

RealRitzCracker
You need to get with the Zen of your Land Rover. Stop fighting it. It will corrode. It will be muddy. It will require new parts, lots of new parts. Use it. Enjoy it. Enjoy working on it. Mud + Rovers = Fun. Or so I'm told. I'm not a big fan of mud.

Zen emphasizes experiential Prajñā—particularly as realized in the form of meditation known as zazen—in the attainment of awakening, often simply called the path of enlightenment. As such, it de-emphasizes both theoretical knowledge and the study of <strike>religious texts</strike> Land Rovers manuals in favor of direct, experiential realization through <strike>meditation and dharma practice</strike> driving and playing with your Land Rover.

you're welcome to use it but photo credit must be given to "Juan Diazviana and Chris Pellecchia"

its my rover, I'm chris, and my buddy juan took the pictures with his canon

really mike? you're the first person I've heard who has promote pressure washing the engine bay of any vehicle. I have yet to come across a car or truck where it cannot cause some problems...
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenheron View Post
you're welcome to use it but photo credit must be given to "Juan Diazviana and Chris Pellecchia"

its my rover, I'm chris, and my buddy juan took the pictures with his canon
If I use it I will credit you and send you the link where I post it. Thank you. I owe you guys a Boddington or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenheron View Post
really mike? you're the first person I've heard who has promote pressure washing the engine bay of any vehicle. I have yet to come across a car or truck where it cannot cause some problems...
I pressure wash all my engine bays. On my Range Rover, I leave the engine running and avoid the distributor and intake for obvious reasons.
On my Disco 2 I just went crazy under there.

I never had any trouble other than once on the Rangie when I got the dizzy too wet and wound up letting her dry while I vacuumed and rinsed the rest of the truck.

PS I have a doctor friend that lives in Ft. Myers. Saw him last weekend while he was visiting here. I'll definately hollar at you when we go down to visit next year.

1993 Range Rover LWB
2003 Discovery (R.I.P. wrecked)
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Reptile Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieRover View Post
If I use it I will credit you and send you the link where I post it. Thank you. I owe you guys a Boddington or two.

doctor friend that lives in Ft. Myers. Saw him last weekend while he was visiting here. I'll definately hollar at you when we go down to visit next year.
cool stuff. whats the guys name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > The Car Wash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in