Discussion regarding oxidation - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Discussion regarding oxidation

Hey everyone,

So it seems quite often that I see these vehicles with heavy oxidation and clear coat damage, the Discovery II tends to be the worst on the roof around the sunroofs. Now I figure this is probably most often due to improper maintenance like wash and especially wax, though in Texas it's hard to blame any one thing because the heat and sun exposure plays such a factor in paint care. I've received my Discovery II second hand, and the roof has all sorts off paint missing or oxidation or fading clear coat.

Upon receiving this truck, none of that bugged me because the rest of the body looks great. But after time I began to see it more and it frustrated me to the point where I had to do something!

I tried paint restoration compounds, by hand and by machine. Then Scratch-x by towel. The results were not satisfactory to me, so I continued research. I have recently found many things stating to fix this but none which I will hold my breath for.

I've recently tried 0000 Steel Wool and a compound on a small area with better results than anything else. As to not damage my paint I'm only applying 5lbs pressure or so. If the results continue to look good, I will report back with steps and pictures so you may too save your paint from hazy ugliness.

If you have anything to add to this let me know please, I'd like to hear if anyone has any other solutions.

Brydon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Discovery II
Tom Woods Drive Shaft
Silblade Windscreen Wipers
Mobil oil & Filter
Slotted Rotors and EBC pads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 10:45 AM

wetsand with really high grit, and get it re-clear coated, sadly I bought mine in the same condition, bad oxidation on roof. clear coat is really the only way to make it look original.

2001 D2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 02:22 PM

bringing this back from the dead so that others might find these options.

Plastidip the roof! www.dipyourcar.com
Vinyl the roof! see your local sign shop
Sand, sand, compound, wax, polish, glaze

I am going to plastidip

04 Disco SE
12 VW Tiguan
Me: fb.com/calebinsurestexas

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It really depends how deep is the oxidation is, but of of the time the only way to solve it is to spray a new layer of paint. If you decide to wet sand the panel. Make sure to use the least abrasive method. Start with the finest sand paper let say 300 grit just to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > The Car Wash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in