Engine and detailing question - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Engine and detailing question

Is there anything wrong with taking the Engine cover off when I take the LR3 in for detailing. I just want to force the person who cleans it to clean as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
. .. .? Are you kidding?
Did you spill some "grey Pupoun" in there?
If you are having someone else clean YOUR truck maybe put on the "big girl panties" and tell them what you want cleaned!
L.o.l.��������

Happy Happy Happy

2002 D2 se7 6 seater . complete engine rebuild with flanged liners , 2 inch lift, terrafirma shocks, LT 275/65r18 Cooper stt tires, d1 modified front bumper, safety devices rack, 30" l.e.d. Light bar
2004 D2 se5 (sold)
2001 D2 se5 (parts truck)
2000 D2 se7 (retired)
1997 D1 (sold)
1957 Series 1 88" future projet
2006 Suburu legacy outback (gets me around when the disco is not)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Well first I would like to say thank you for your sincere and mature response. Second I would like to say that I am not a professional "detailer" so I do like to take my vehicles to get proffesionally detailed and buffed every once and a while. I try to do it when I buy a vehicle, like I did this one 3 days ago, and I also try to every spring.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:55 PM

I am OCD bordering anal about having a clean engine, I would like to find someone to do it the right way while I watch. My concern is the idiot who will not cover the electrics as required and creating more problems for me. Hence, I do it myself.
my two cents on this issue

Basque 1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Super Trooper

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, taking the engine cover off is a good way of making sure it gets cleaned. When I bought my last vehicle, the engine had been detailed at the dealership. I did some work and had to take the cover off. Holy crap, that thing was dirty!! So yes, take the cover off so it'll all get cleaned.

Just for anyone else interested, cleaning an engine is not a difficult or scary task. I used to own a detailing business so I've got some experience here. Cover the electrics and air intake if it's exposed (think cold air intake). Don't spray a hard stream of water directly onto electrical connectors. Other than that, you're pretty good to go. Here's my routine:

After covering anything I don't want wet (with plastic bags and rubber bands/zip ties),
rinse engine bay and underside of hood,
spray degreaser on underside of hood,
clean underside of hood with various brushes, wash mitts, etc
rinse off,
spray engine bay with degreaser and working one area at a time, clean with various brushes,
rinse off and move to next section.

Cleaning a section at a time keeps the degreaser from drying before you get to it. It'll take some time to clean everything due to the nooks and crannies.

Once done, I use compressed air to remove standing water. Remove any bags you used to cover up stuff, then stand back and enjoy your clean engine bay.

Not a Land Rover, but here's my personal '86 F150 (I dressed my engine with a water based protectant):

Colin
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well removing the engine cover would be a good idea to thoroughly clean the whole engine. Just make sure to cover all electrical stuff and make use of a low pressure water hose in cleaning and rinsing the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > The Car Wash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in