Grease on the headliner - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grease on the headliner

Yup, I did it.

I'm looking for any advice to get the greasy smears off the headliner without destroying it. Advice for anyone out there needing to drop their headliner.... clean gloves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Reptile Expert

there is a guy on here who specializes in headliners....i can't remember his user name though. search "headliner" and i'm sure he will pop up.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:21 AM
The Zebra

HeadlinerExpress is his name

2002 Discovery II Kalahari Edition - Stock And Going To Stay That Way
Towing a 2014 Lance 1685 Travel Trailer
Prodigy 3 Brake Controller
Fastway e2 Hitch
Absolutely NO problems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 AM

Brake cleaner.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 AM
HeadlinerExpress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Brake Cleaner !!! I cant Recommend that or even consider anyone else using it either.

Brake Cleaner will not only remove the Grease but do long term Damage to your Headliner Material, Brake Cleaner is made with "Acetone" and other "Methanol Solvents" that are designed for Heavy Duty Cleaning of Brake Dust and other Brake Parts.

1) From the Manufacture the Cloth is on about a 16th of a inch thick like a sheet of paper in thickness Laminated (Glued) to a 1/8th inch Foam Backing that makes up your
Headliner.

a) Cleaners like Brake Cleaners with Acetone are too Strong!! and chances of De- laminating the Factory Glue between the Cloth and Foam Backing are fairly likely and costly to take that chance, Considering a New Headliner Replacement may cost as much as $1000 to install. Depending on your make,model & Local market.

MY Recommendations:

I would be contacting a Reliable Detail Shop, someone that is "seasoned" in their Business, not someone that just started a Detailing Business and printed up some business cards and now say's their Detailer.

The products we use are formulated for professional use only and not intended for sale to the general public.

(Make sure you ask for a : (Drycleaning Type Spotter)

If your local here in the Central Florida Market i can Recommend several reliable shops that can help you.

Bill

Headliner Express
Headliner & Sunroof Repair
Winter Park, Florida USA

68 Unimog TLF-8 Firetruck
65 Unimog Radio Box
63 Volvo L3304 Fast Attack
98 Range Rover 4.6 (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HeadlinerExpress; 04-02-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Brake cleaner? hahaha

I'm up in New Hampshire. As much as I'd love to come to central FLA, kinda tough for just getting my headliner cleaned. If you can point me in the right direction around here, I'd appreciate it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:48 PM
HeadlinerExpress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
NH Detail shops

Here is a link i found for several Details shops in NH!

Ask them which products they found that they can offer that work on cleaning Light Grease on Headliner Material.

NOT BRAKE FLUID!!!!

We use a product called (Nylon Spotter) its a Drycleaning Type Spotter, Made for Cleaning Headliner Material & Body Cloth.

Hope this Helps !

Keene NH Auto Detailing

Bill

Headliner Express
Headliner & Sunroof Repair
Winter Park, Florida USA

68 Unimog TLF-8 Firetruck
65 Unimog Radio Box
63 Volvo L3304 Fast Attack
98 Range Rover 4.6 (Sold)

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Exploring suburbia for over a decade.

This guy knows his stuff. What a niche market business....smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlinerExpress View Post
Here is a link i found for several Details shops in NH!

Ask them which products they found that they can offer that work on cleaning Light Grease on Headliner Material.

NOT BRAKE FLUID!!!!

We use a product called (Nylon Spotter) its a Drycleaning Type Spotter, Made for Cleaning Headliner Material & Body Cloth.

Hope this Helps !

Keene NH Auto Detailing

Bill
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:53 PM

I think headliner express is his name. he will help you if you are looking to repair your own headliner and would like to purchase the same materials used by Headliner Express.

used car quebec
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Try these steps:

Step 1

Wipe each headlight with a soft, dry cloth. Getting some of the grime off this way helps prevent scratches when you clean using the wet method. Now, wet a soft sponge in water. Place a quarter-sized dollop of liquid dish soap on the sponge.

Step 2

Rub the soapy sponge over the headlights. The de-greasing properties of the dish soap will help remove grease and oil residue.

Step 3

Rinse the headlights with clean water. Apply headlight restoration cream, available at auto-parts stores. This can be applied directly on the headlights, or applied on a cloth and rubbed on. Note that for severely dulled or discolored headlights that are not simply covered in road grime may need a buffing pad (attached to a drill) or fine-grit sandpaper to remove the yellow discoloration. A microfiber cloth, however, is sufficient if headlights are simply dirty or lightly discolored.

Step 4

Rub the restoration cream all over the headlight with a soft cloth. Use straight back-and-forth movements across the surface of the headlight. Do one headlight at a time so the restoration cream does not start to dry on the surface.

Step 5

Wipe the product off with a damp, lint-free towel. Now, polish the headlights with a microfiber polishing cloth or terrycloth.

Good Luck

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 PM

I'm a detailer with ten years experience.

Use sunlight dish detergent, a soft toothbrush, and make sure you mask the upholstery/leather/carpet below where you are working. Use warm water. If you have access to a wet vac, you can use it, but diffuse the power so you do not stretch the headliner.

The good thing about a high-end/reputable detail shop is they know when to try something else, and they have multiple options in their arsenal. Don't wait too long if you decide to let a pro try their hand at it, but you should be able to do it yourself. Be patient - headliners are fragile!

Canadian. Student. Brewery employee.

'54 Pontiac Pathfinder - Flat inline 6/powerglide
'92 Mazda B2600 inline 4x4 - 4"/snorkel/saharas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > The Car Wash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in