hand crankable starting - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic900 View Post
I feel I must add my 2 peneth, I have owned many British vehicles being a native an-all and most of them hand a starting handle or hand crank. My Dad was the one who taught me the right way and speaking from countless successful starts, no broken fingers etc I can say that this is the best way to start. I have done this with the first 2 turns with the ignition on and off and the only difference is a little kick when the igition is on;
Insert the handle and bring it to the just past 12 O'Clock, with your thumbs NOT wrapped around the handle but laying on top (if you get my meaning) and one hand over the other turn the engine over slowly twice. On the third go round (with the crank at the just past 12 position) push down and pull up in a kind of swing motion, nice and quick and smart. If the timing has been set right she will start.

The 2 turns you do before starting will draw fuel into the system. Like I said if you do this with the ignition on then you may feel a kick each time the crank reaches the top but as long as you turn it slowly you'll be ok and ALWAYS keep your thumbs like a monkey, cupped hands. It's a good indication that your timing is right, I used to set Morris Minors up using the starting handle as a guide as with worn distrubutors the book could be less than usful and you needed another way of ensuring that she'd start first time.

You will hear variations on this method but I personlly have found this to be the best and injury free.

Cheers then
Nic
EXACTLY how I did it Nic - hand loose on the crank, except I gave the carb two pumps with my hand. You don't need much juice to energize the coil in my experience, but it takes a lot to crank over a starter. (Why they have capacitors) I used my crank every day because a new starter was $250 and I was broke. Terry - do you start kick start motorcycles by pulling up on them as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 02:49 AM
Premium Member

Location: Bloomfield, CT If I died today, I lived there all my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morg308 View Post
. Terry - do you start kick start motorcycles by pulling up on them as well?
That's clever. Stupid, but clever.
I'm not sure being from the UK makes one more qualified to speak on the subject. Hand cranks may have remained in use longer over there, but primarily because of less reliable vehicles in General. I am way past the sell by date, and have so many friends who are into As and Ts it's almost sad. Being entirely English and Scottish, I'm somewhat anglophilac myself, and having had perhaps over 60 british cars and bikes, I 'could' use that card, but common sense should be sufficient. Given that there are two choices, up or down, you're bound to find plenty who prefer one method over the other. I had a 1926 Chevrolet Capitol one Ton truck, and even the manual clearly stated (and showed) pulling up.
Given most of my Brit Bikes are singles, remarkable I haven't broken my leg, huh? Care to show me how to start my goldies? (I started my 2A for 7 winters, starter was good, but leaky rear seal kept the bendix sticky below freezing)
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Because it will be quite difficult to turn and then take off from you, trying to push down will mean that you will end up with you face in the hood. The only way is up.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Nic

Hey Terry, never said I was more qualified, just thought I'd add it. If it works for you then that's all that matters. As far as British vehicle being more unreliable, I think it's fare to say we have both had our fare share of reliability issues.

What happens if I turn this .....oh
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Location: Bloomfield, CT If I died today, I lived there all my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic900 View Post
Hey Terry, never said I was more qualified, just thought I'd add it. If it works for you then that's all that matters. As far as British vehicle being more unreliable, I think it's fare to say we have both had our fare share of reliability issues.
Too true, however it's much more fun working on Brits than Chevies.
The only Harley I ever cared a hoot for was the Knucklhead, and even then the HRD was sexier yet, and I get weak in the knees for ZB Goldstars. Here's where I draw the line though; These guys who claim they'd rather push their Landy than ride in a Jeep, have clearly never pushed their Landy.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Nic

I agree I get very protective and yes some would say snobby about the vehicles I get into, but I'd ride in a Jeep if the Landy let me down as I have taken a ride on a Harley to get gas for my Triumph, when the chips are down you can swallow your pride and get home or walk. I have pushed a Honda Sabre 6 miles to get gas (you see a common thread here?) and that was not even close to fun or character building.

What happens if I turn this .....oh
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 02:35 AM

I don't see the need of using your hands at all, just kick it down like a bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSRG3bU651Q

Last edited by Ernie; 05-23-2014 at 08:46 AM.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:49 AM
Living it...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turretman1st View Post
it takes some time before you can just shove it in and crank with out looking

and REMEMBER ALWAYS PULL UP NEVER PUSH DOWN AND DONT WRAPE YOUR THUMB AND FINGERS JUST CUP IT. AS A KID SAW A GUY ON A MODEL A PUSH DOWN IT AKTUALLY FOLDED HIS ARM BROKE IN QUIT A FEW AREA'S.

In the 1980's had a 1930 ford AA truck started it 6 volt/12 volt/hand crank funny thing it allways stated easier by hand crank.

allways ignition off choke if temp required turn with crank twice
ignition on pull up once 98% of the time it always started.

did same with alpine

AND REMEMBER ALWAYS PULL

bill
Thanks, Bill -
I've hand cranked my 1970 2A, and I did do it incorrectly and badly sprained my thumb (wrapped around). Thanks for the specific advice, on pulling up, and crank no ignition, then with ignition on, and all the rest. Very nice. Will do!

Cheers,
Mike

Because life's too short not to drive one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Series Land Rovers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in