How feasible would a Cummins 5.9 swap be? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How feasible would a Cummins 5.9 swap be?

How feasible would a Cummins 5.9 swap be in a IIa? I'd love the torque and reliability but would the install kick my a$$? Would the tranny and axles shred like paper under all that power? Would my front end drop to the ground?

Has anyone heard of such and outlandish swap? Do adaptor plates exist?

I think the front suspension work would be the easy part, but the actual motor install would call for a lot of custom made parts, motor mounts, turbo plubming.

Any ideas guys? Or a total pipe dream?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Rocky Mountain High

You think like me....... I wish I could help.. I just wanted to say that your idea rocks....... My guess is you'd have to redo all suspension and build up some serious axles..... I love the cummins
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Premium Member

Location: Bloomfield, CT If I died today, I lived there all my life.
I had a 4BT Cummins driving a 60KW generator and that engine, as sweet as it is, is way to big to go into a series truck. Length is greater by close to a foot front front of waterpump to flywheel, and flywheel housing is a good 8" bigger in diameter. Look for a Perkin 4-236 if you want a managable big pot 4 cylinder diesel.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:28 AM
Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Death
How feasible would a Cummins 5.9 swap be in a IIa? I'd love the torque and reliability but would the install kick my a$$? Would the tranny and axles shred like paper under all that power? Would my front end drop to the ground?

I think the front suspension work would be the easy part, but the actual motor install would call for a lot of custom made parts, motor mounts, turbo plubming.

Your asking for trouble the drive train just wont take that sort of torque it will destroy it even the perkins 4236 as mentioned is a bit iffy,2.5-3.0l turbo diesel engines are the norm because of the turbo its hard to shock load the drive train as the power isnt all low down torque.and ulimately they give better performance.Look for a L/R TDi,2.8 daihatsu TD or mebbe a 2.8 Isuzu Lump
Hope this helps ONz
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Profesional Hunter

Location: On the banks of the Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River (Rudyard Kipling 1902)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS
Look for a Perkin 4-236 if you want a managable big pot 4 cylinder diesel.
Very good combo with a SIII.
We build them here in SA from 1980 to approx 86 known as the R6. (Salsbury diffs, Santana G Box)

Otherwise I second Onz Get a Isuzu 2.5D or 2.8TD Even the 3l Mercs will work but i dont think the cummens will work.

Moeras

74 SIII 88 345 000 Miles & still going strong!

Reality - an illusion caused by the lack of alcohol in the blood.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeras
Very good combo with a SIII.
We build them here in SA from 1980 to approx 86 known as the R6. (Salsbury diffs, Santana G Box)

Otherwise I second Onz Get a Isuzu 2.5D or 2.8TD Even the 3l Mercs will work but i dont think the cummens will work.
The santana gearbox is the reason it was a useable machine the bog standard rover unit just isnt up to the job,the 236 creates more torque than a RV8 and the 200TDi
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:42 AM
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.

Cool idea!!However I think the engine weighs more than the truck. I agree with the rest...that engine would twist your landy into a pretzil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

98' Disco 4.0
89' RRC 3.9
82' 109 2.5
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

You all pretty much confirmed what I supsected. Ah well.

Rest assure, the Cummins 5.9 is at the top of the list when I decided to get a second 109 IIa for the trails and lower it on top of front and rear steering 35 spline Dana 60s, a 205/203, 42 inch Iroks, hydraulic ram steering, ect ect.

Anyone got any pictures of a well built rockcrawling Series?

Erik
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Goofing off in the great white north.

The 2 small boats we have attatched to the cutter use a Cummins 4BT and a VolvoPenta AD-31. I was lookin at the cummins the other day thinking how to make it work in a rover but I think it would be way too heavy. The volvo on the other hand might be a feasable swap. I was just looking up info on the 109 Marshall bodied ambulances and there was one with a Mercruiser engine in it. Best bet would probably be a LAnd Rover 2.5 TD though.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 01:55 PM

Quote:

yes forget in As an old Cummins mechanic who used to work for Cummins
I can tell you, that A the Bseries 6 inline is far too long for a landrover
and the trans mission would not handle the torque, neither would the final drive
You could use a 4bta rated 230 bhp, you can spin up yoor own adapter plate but the tansmission et al, would still be in trouble unless coupled to auto box
there are a lot of 4bta down in florida ex planing boat take outs
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:

about the sweetest diesel for that truck is the Nissan 6 natural asp. I just did 2000 miles in NZ with one, av 9.5 km/l/ cant rememeber the engine model but IF you serious I will find out
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu hearn
about the sweetest diesel for that truck is the Nissan 6 natural asp. I just did 2000 miles in NZ with one, av 9.5 km/l/ cant rememeber the engine model but IF you serious I will find out
and people her are quoting you tractor engines like the perkins 4/236 which turns too slow for highway use
this seems to be a forum of unqualified dreamers, which is ok cos you have to learn I guess, but do try think before you hop in
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:29 PM

I am definately interested in the model of the nissan 6. I finish uni in a few weeks and am plannign to put a diesel in my old girl. I found this website which gave me some good ideas as well as an idea of teh work involved.

http://home.metroweb.co.za/~pdoug/landconv.htm

a good read. any idea what this the RD28 engine is originally out of? a patrol? he got it out of a hilux, but I gather that was a conversion job.
Dick
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Profesional Hunter

Location: On the banks of the Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River (Rudyard Kipling 1902)
Quote:
and people her are quoting you tractor engines like the perkins 4/236 which turns too slow for highway use
this seems to be a forum of unqualified dreamers, which is ok cos you have to learn I guess, but do try think before you hop in
Highway use??

You can get about 100km/h out a a series fitted with this perkins. However it is very happy cruising at 85km/h.

If lowdown power is what you are looking for, there is very few better.

Moeras

74 SIII 88 345 000 Miles & still going strong!

Reality - an illusion caused by the lack of alcohol in the blood.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Series Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:

Aye mate seems you know loads dont you,the perkins 4236 you find in tractors has its inj pump calibrated for agricultural use but any one who uses them in a road motor gets the pump re calibrated as was the dodge 50 wagons which used this engine successfully.

Ive run perkins for the last 14 years matey so i do feel qualified in tractors,wagons,landrovers and range rovers Ive built em run em so what makes you so damn knowledgeable my old rangie with a 236 in overdrive and high ratio transfer gears would pull 90mph no problem so dont preach at me pal go find someone who doesnt know the crack

And as for the 6 pot nissan not worth the effort nice when they are right but spew oil out of the rear crank oil seal and parts are ridiculously priced,and seen as though you know lots about diesels you dont know what the hell your running yourself PRICK!!!!

and its more than likely its an sd33 or 35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Series Land Rovers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in