How feasible would a Cummins 5.9 swap be? - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Profesional Hunter

Location: On the banks of the Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River (Rudyard Kipling 1902)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onslow
Aye mate seems you know loads dont you,the perkins 4236 you find in tractors has its inj pump calibrated for agricultural use but any one who uses them in a road motor gets the pump re calibrated as was the dodge 50 wagons which used this engine successfully.

Ive run perkins for the last 14 years matey so i do feel qualified in tractors,wagons,landrovers and range rovers Ive built em run em so what makes you so damn knowledgeable my old rangie with a 236 in overdrive and high ratio transfer gears would pull 90mph no problem so dont preach at me pal go find someone who doesnt know the crack

And as for the 6 pot nissan not worth the effort nice when they are right but spew oil out of the rear crank oil seal and parts are ridiculously priced,and seen as though you know lots about diesels you dont know what the hell your running yourself PRICK!!!!

and its more than likely its an sd33 or 35
Well said mate!!

Moeras

74 SIII 88 345 000 Miles & still going strong!

Reality - an illusion caused by the lack of alcohol in the blood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Well, it's official, this makes EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF MY LIFE filled with drama. Thanks guys! I thought this could be my last vestage but I was wrong.

Quit arguing!
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 12:52 AM

go for it

Angel of Death,
Regarding the conversion in mind. may i say "I like your style!!"
we need more people of your thinking. always question the status quo,
just because there are more simple and existing conversions available. dosnt mean we must accept them. push the boundries of what you know and can do.
the satisfaction of doing yr best and overcoming the engineering problems will make you a step ahead of thr rest.

Last edited by Land Rover One; 10-23-2005 at 05:11 AM.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Rover One
Angel of Death,
Regarding the conversion in mind. may i say "I like your style!!"
we need more people of your thinking. always question the status quo,
just because there are more simple and existing conversions available. dosnt mean we must accept them. push the boundries of what you know and can do.
the satisfaction of doing yr best and overcoming the engineering problems will make you a step ahead of thr rest.
I'm with you dude! I want to vomit when I think about doing the same thing as everyone else.

A year or two before I joined the Marines I built a motor and a put a good ammount of thought into it when I came to my decision. My friends thought I was nuts NOT to bulid a smallblock. I hated the thought of eveyone rocking the same exact motor at the dragstrip so I built an Olds 455. No regrets.

I think a Series IIa 88in rockcralwer sitting on rockwell axels, Mog/portals or Volvo/portals and being pushed around by a powerstroke or a cumins 5.9 or a rotary for that matter, would be not only cool as hell but one hell of a challenge to put together. That's the fun is the challenge. the fabrication, the learning as you go.

Anyone seen anything crazy like a SWB Series on 44 inch boggers or anything nuts like that? I have lots of ideas in this mind of mine, just too much contract left before I can a start on anything!

Semper fi

Erik
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Series Moderator

not arguing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Death
Well, it's official, this makes EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF MY LIFE filled with drama. Thanks guys! I thought this could be my last vestage but I was wrong.

Quit arguing!
no one is arguing here !!! i find it very ignorant of mr hearn to say we are ill informed dreamers when the facts he himself placed forth were inaccurate and ill-informed,I wont be told im wrong when i have the experience to back up what I say and I wont offer advice unless i know what im talking about,im sure the same goes for other folk too.

And as for not encouraging new Ideas i think you missed the point of the original question the chap asked if it the cummins lump would work with a standard rover drive line again through experience i know that it would not.

So i feel compelled to answer the question asked,to do otherwise would be irresponsible and could cost the guy alot of money,time and effort.

I am always interested in pushing new directions when in comes to modifying I myself am in the planning stage of building a range rover 130 crewcab pick up just for the sake of it.
Cheers ONz
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 11:26 AM

Chill!

Wow, all abit serious. Chill guys.

My 21/4 diesel is really past its' best before date. I have the chance of obtaining a new Fiat Doblo diesel engine (For those over the pond and elsewhere, the Doblo is a pathetic little tin Box) 1905cc 8 valve. The 16valve version is used in Alfa's, GM models and I guess, Saabs.

Sadly, I've just done 20k miles in a Doblo and was impressed by the motor.

Discuss.

Gripper.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Profesional Hunter

Location: On the banks of the Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River (Rudyard Kipling 1902)
Dont know the Fiat Diesels at all! Dont get them this side of the sun.

please tell us more about it, also please remind us which series landy youv got

Moeras

74 SIII 88 345 000 Miles & still going strong!

Reality - an illusion caused by the lack of alcohol in the blood.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:15 AM

Which Series?

Hi Moeras,

It's a 1969 IIa 88' in need of more care and attention I seem to have time for.
It goes, stops and steers and is just about legal most of the time!

Gripper.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 05:13 AM
Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper
Hi Moeras,

It's a 1969 IIa 88' in need of more care and attention I seem to have time for.
It goes, stops and steers and is just about legal most of the time!

Gripper.
The fiat engine is not a common conversion in fact i know of no one that makes a conv plate for one and I suspect it will be under powered and not very tractable with the power delivery and also will increase your insurance premiums due to being modified and non standard
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I found this great link (thanks Pete!) about a 6.2 Chevy diesel swap into a '70 IIA:

http://www.aloharovers.com/howto/diesel/

enjoy, Erik
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:22 AM

Fiat

Hi Onslow,

Just speculation with the Fiat engine. 105bhp and a fair amount of torquue at about 1750 revs. Not unlike a monty TD I suppose.

I am tempted by the Montego motor but I can't find a car and they are now a bit old so likely "tired" Also, just itching to meet the other guy who does the conversion bits, see www.integerspin.co.uk.

You might be able to answer this question too. If the distribution pump on a 21/4 diesel can only go on in one position because of the tooth patern on the drive spline, why the need to find a thousand and one timing marks, take up the backlash etc. I can't get my head around this at the moment.

Gripper.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Series Moderator

the monty TD is capable of 300k plus in the milage dept its a shame ive just given a belter away,the monty TD had an easily tweakable dizzy pump which overcame the lack of low down torque,but not sure about that on the fiat lump but I suspect it would be a major engineering feat to get it in a landy if at all I know interger has spent a lot of time with the monty diesel and knows all there is to know about the matters involved.

As for the 2 1/4 dizzy pump it isnt fixed due to the splines on the drive gear it can be rotated through 20 degrees to adjust the spill (injection) timing this is why the special tool is used once the timing marks on the flywheel (EP if I remember) are in line to take the slack out of the chain and correctly locate the timing pointer on the block so the pump mark can be aligned correctly giving correct (factory) timing.

How ever this principle only works on an engine with a new timing chain as any strech in the chain effectively alters the cam timing slightly, so therefore if you time the engine as per manual it will be out of sync slightly with the cam therefore affecting performance and you really dont want any loss of power on the already lame 2 1/4 D,this same principle also occurs to a greater degree with the rover V8 due to poor timing chains
Hope this helps Ta ONz
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Death
Anyone seen anything crazy like a SWB Series on 44 inch boggers or anything nuts like that? I have lots of ideas in this mind of mine, just too much contract left before I can a start on anything!
These are a couple of my favorites:

If you remove the name of the photo you will get an open directory containing hundreds of pictures of this and several other tricked out trucks climbing around Moab: http://www.untrakdrover.com/trips/im...202002/images/ Cool stuff.

Pictured below is my truck on a shakedown run getting ready for the Alexander Mackenzie Heritage Trail week long run. Not exactly 44 inch tires, but certainly not stock any longer. Incidentally I discovered a faulty clutch on this hill, which I was able to replace before heading out on the big trip.

Dave

6688 88RR 99D2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Those pictures kicked some serious ass, thanks for posting that link!

I lived in Utah and would vacation down in Moab in the summers but this was before my love of trucks and offroading manifested itself. I'd love to back down there someday!

Here are some of my favs from that link:

Nice 88 IIa

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 01:46 PM

Nice piccies

I know this rock rawling thing is big in the land of the free but in the UK most of the rock is down under the mud!

So, freinds from over the pond, give me a clue. Is the Range Rover going up and failing, or falling down having got it wrong further up?

Arn't these rocks a little hard and unyielding in the event of a miscalculation?

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Series Land Rovers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in