Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

need help identifying series 2 or 3

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  yup 
#1 ·
ok im new to lr just bought a 98 disco1 about 3-4 weeks ago(glad i sold my 79 cj7 now) now the fun, was cruising in a neghborhood when i caught a series 2 or 3 in a driveway. well bout wrecked me and my buddy turning on the street. need help to idetifiy wich it is and what its worth, its been there awhile and the rear 3rd and pass. axel is pulled. dont know anything else about it(knocked no answer)well im going to go make a offer on it, hope its for sale, but what is a going price for these, in this condition

#2 ·
Depending on the year the main way to tell a Series II from a III is the dash, head lights and grill.

All Series III LR's have plastic grills with integrated Land Rover badge and lights in the wings. A Series III has a plastic instrument panel in front of the steering wheel.

Series II and earlier IIa's have lights on the breakfast (that's the grill/rad support) with the later IIa's having them moved to the wings (USA's fault) but the grills are all metal with a separate badge. A Series II has a metal instrument panel in the centre of the dash.

A partially wrecked one of either is worth practically nothing as vehicle and only has residual 'parts donor' value.......at least here in Alberta. I just picked up a complete, but worn out, Series II 109 with a PTO T'case for $500. I have purchased others for as little as $200 or even free!

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
The body panels are aluminium so rust tends to 'hide' on Series trucks.

Check out the bulkhead (firewall) especially near the vent openings and foot wells as this is made of steel and can rust badly. Also the Chassis is prone to rusting at the rear cross member and front dumb irons (that's where the front spring eye is mounted) front outriggers and pretty much any place in between.

Axle shafts and third members shouldn't be too hard to track down so if the rest of it is all there and in good nick then it sounds like it could be a viable project. If it runs well and drives (missing drive line not withstanding) then it will be worth more like $1500-$2500.
If it is a smart, presentable running/driving registered vehicle that is just undergoing repairs then it's probably worth $5000+ depending on options, condition, model etc.

So, as a complete guess as I have obviously not seen it and I'm assuming it is not road worthy, I would pay around $500-$1000-ish here in Alberta. But I have lots of extra/spare parts hanging around to fix it up.

If you buy it you should join a local Land Rover club because they may be able to hook you up with some needed parts and information and even help.

Some of the vendors on the forum also carry Series parts.

#5 ·
yea im kinda on my own here,its a hour drive at least to any shop,clubs,really anything. so shipping is already factored in on parts. its not road worthy,but could be really quik i think i thinck i will start at 1000$ thank you much

#6 ·
There is a Land Rover club in Washington/Oregon, and another big club in BC. They do the North West Challenge every year. Land Rover clubs and members tend to be well spread out in North America but don't let that stop you. I have often drive 12 hours and more to pick up an elusive part or to attend a event. It's all part of the fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.