Series 2 - soft top questions...
Hi All -
Just joined the forum and putting up my first post. I recently purchased my first LR (1964 Series 2a - 88") and absolutely loving it. I have always wanted this car and finally its mine!!!
Wanted to make a few upgrades but wanted to ask a few questions first:
Removing the safari top:
1. I am not sure when the last time the current top was removed. Most of the bolts seem to be rust free though.
2. How many bolts are there in total to remove?
3. Is this a big undertaking - how long should I expect it to take for the first time?
4. Is it easier to remove the top and side windows separately, or best to keep as one unit?
5. I was told I would have to remove my rear bench seats to get to some of the bolts, is this true?
6. Any suggestions / tips to make this go easier?
Driving / Parking with no top:
1. My car is pretty stock. Is there anything in particular that I should be concerned about parking it in street not covered? (I live in So California).
2. If it rains on an uncovered Series 2, is that bad?
3. Has anyone installed a larger lock box in the rear area for greater secure storage? If so, - model/brands?
1. I have not found many options out there. The ones that keep coming up are Exmoore Trim and Badger Motorworks. Their prices are drastically different. Is the Badger top really that better?
2. The plastic windows on the Exmoore seem a lot smaller than the Badger brand. Initially I would think bigger windows are better. Agree / disagree?
3. Are their any manufacturers that I should consider?
Since I live in So Cal, ideally i will buy a canvas roof, and roll up the sides on warm days (psuedo bikini top) and close them when it cools down.
1. What do you think, leave as is, or paint limestone / white color?
2. If paint, do I do a white, or match the almond color from my safari top (which will hopefully get replaced with a canvas top soon).
Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.
Last edited by blasky; 10-02-2012 at 07:24 AM.