Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

'94 doesn't want to shift into 4h

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  TerryS 
#1 ·
My rover seems not to want to shift into 4wd. I haven't tried to force the stick, but it seems like it doesn't want to go forward. I've tried stopped, in "N" , rolling in "N" and so on, it doesn't seem to want to go no matter what I do. I got the truck from LA, CA back in December and haven't tried to put it in 4wd yet. I know, I know I should have done it. No telling how long it was before I got it (probably years). Otherwise, she seems happy. What gives? Can anyone point me to a existing thread? TIA.

#2 ·
I am confused by how you wrote your post. Your truck is ALWAYS in 4 wheel drive. It's a Land Rover. If it's just a problem between 4H and 4L then I can understand the question; but it seems like you are under the impression that you are driving around in 2wd???

#3 ·
Like XM said full time 4wd on these rigs.

Going on that I'll assume your stuck in 4 high and want to go into 4 low.

If it hasn't been used in a long time the linkage could be froze up get underneath and clean and lube the linkage. Then try again. Linkage is located on the passenger side of the Rover if memory serves.

#5 ·
If it hasn't been used in a long time the linkage could be froze up get underneath and clean and lube the linkage. Then try again. Linkage is located on the passenger side of the Rover if memory serves.
See above

#4 ·
My apologies - years of 4wd'in has conditioned me to think in terms of 2wd -4h and 4l - you are right though, the little lever that goes between 4h (where it stays for normal driving) and 4l seems to be frozen. Like unwilling to move at all. I have followed the instructions in the manual, it just seems to be stuck in place. Do these rust or corrode? I don't want to force the movement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.