Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Driver Door won't open

Hey guys I think I outdid myself

earlier today I tightened my door handle on my drivers door as per

OkieRover.com

it was working great! Opened the door from the outside a couple times...hopped inside and opened the door a couple of times

Called it good, locked the doors and walked away

...came back out to it and couldn't open the door, went inside from the passenger side and still could not open the door

How can I get my door open so I can adjust it back?

1999 Disco II
2000 Disco II (RIP Baby)
1990 Range Rover Classic (stored)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Make certain the door is unlocking all the way. You'll have to manually lift the locking tab. I had the same problem after making some adjustments. Had to go back in a make a few more adjustments to get it right.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine did exactly the same thing after I tightened it. I'll apologize in advance for not knowing all the technical terms for all of the parts in the door, but here goes:

You will need a flashlight and a metal coat hanger.

You'll have to roll the window all the way down, then move the interior rubber edge by gently pulling toward the interior of the vehicle and out of the way. Once you can see down in the door frame from the top, use your flashlight to look down toward the back of the vehicle.

When you move the door handle, look in the door and see where the motion stops. There is a metal piece that is supposed to be lifted when the handle is pulled, but the part it lifts will have slipped under it. Essentially you need to bend and work your coat hanger down under that and pull up. The door will open immediately.

I'm attaching a photo, but the area is so tight I had trouble getting a good one. Keep in mind, once you have it open, this will not fix the problem. This will allow you to open the door so that you can remove the panel and loosen what you tightened with Oki's fix. I got over zealous with my tightening and the same thing happened to me. Getting the door open is the hard part, but while it took me hours to figure it out, hopefully this will give you a good starting point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doorlock.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	25368  

'93 Range Rover SWB Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Awesome thanks fellas!

I was able to get it open by removing the door lock holder and pulling real hard upward on door lock and the door handle from the inside at the same time

Got the panel off and loosened that adjuster...now we're good!!!

Thanks for the help, I was frustrated there for a second...almost killed my "feel good about myself" mood

Cheers!

1999 Disco II
2000 Disco II (RIP Baby)
1990 Range Rover Classic (stored)

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm not figuring out the trick here to pop this thing back open. Maybe I bent the main latch wrenching on the outside handle too hard, and the lock won't release until the pressure is off the main latch?

Here's a video of what's going on. I tried the coat hanger but had no luck. Video shows me pulling hard on the lock/unlock latch and then trying the inner door handle. You can tell the door handle is not doing a thing... I tried pulling up on the tab shown in the photo above... got a good solid pull on it but it was already as unlocked as it was going to get. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in